Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R/T - Billet Silver - No mods yet
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background before I get to today, I got the car in mid March and at some point in April it had the CEL come on so I picked up a Bluetooth scan tool to check it out and I got P0456 very small evap leak and decided to clear it to see how quickly it would come back.

Now the strange thing is when I scanned it the first time there was also the P1521 incorrect oil weight pending DTC which I didn't think much of it as I didn't and still don't know how long pending codes are kept around for and when that would've been from.

Fast-forward to now and I get P0456 again and I go to clear it again to see if there's going to be any pattern as to when it decides to come on and that pending P1521 is there again. This time it's there after an oil change I had just under a week ago which is now supposed to be Castrol synth 5w20. The oil reaches the curve on the dipstick and is well over the safe mark. Again, I don't know how long a pending code would sit in the memory for or if it's repeatedly coming and going so I don't know if that was from the old oil that was just changed less than a week ago or the pressure sensor is borked or if something else is wrong.

As for the P0456, does anyone know what is most likely? I often it is the ESIM or its seal but I almost expect something like that to be more consistent rather than go for almost 2 months without recurring. The next thing I wanted to try is to see if the P0456 code eventually succeeds to clear itself but I hate seeing the CEL so much I just can’t leave it on. I can’t remember how many days I drove with it on the first time but I know the CEL on my pervious car when it came on for low voltage following a dead battery was about a week or so (a long one without remote start in the winter).

The car runs and drives like a dream anyway so I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
P0456 is a code for a small leak in the Evap System. Problem could be the Evap Purge solenoid, ESIM switch or a small leak in the Evap Purge System. I too would expect the problem to be more consistent if it was a leak in the system. It could be intermittent if it's the purge solenoid or ESIM switch due to temp/weather and how much fuel is in the tank.

Heat is transferred from operating the vehicle and ambient conditions into the fuel tank during normal operation. When the ignition is turned Off, and the EVAP system is sealed, a change in the fuel tank vapor temperature occurs; which results in corresponding pressure changes in the fuel tank. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the fuel tank pressure sensor to monitor fuel tank pressure changes. The PCM also monitors the Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Switch and P0456 is logged if the ESIM switch does not close within a calibrated time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0456 is a code for a small leak in the Evap System. Problem could be the Evap Purge solenoid, ESIM switch or a small leak in the Evap Purge System. I too would expect the problem to be more consistent if it was a leak in the system. It could be intermittent if it's the purge solenoid or ESIM switch due to temp/weather and how much fuel is in the tank.

Heat is transferred from operating the vehicle and ambient conditions into the fuel tank during normal operation. When the ignition is turned Off, and the EVAP system is sealed, a change in the fuel tank vapor temperature occurs; which results in corresponding pressure changes in the fuel tank. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the fuel tank pressure sensor to monitor fuel tank pressure changes. The PCM also monitors the Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Switch and P0456 is logged if the ESIM switch does not close within a calibrated time.
Alright thanks. So do you recommend doing the ESIM first and then waiting a few months to see if that fixes it or purge valve first? From my research I found people usually attribute a different code to a bad purge valve if it’s the one by the right strut mount. Nonetheless these are jobs I can do myself.

Should I be worried about the pending P1521 or could that still be from a week ago my old worn oil triggering that at a certain temp/conditions?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
The pending P1521 code is probably from the old oil. Change the oil & filter and clear the code.
As far as replacing the ESIM switch first? The dealership typically performs a smoke test and a ESIM Forced Monitor test to attempt isolation of the problem. Without any additional diagnostics it's difficult to say which part to replace first. There are other codes for the Evap Purge solenoid circuit (P0443) and Evap Pressure switch (P0452) ... which are not getting logged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pending P1521 code is probably from the old oil. Change the oil & filter and clear the code.
As far as replacing the ESIM switch first? The dealership typically performs a smoke test and a ESIM Forced Monitor test to attempt isolation of the problem. Without any additional diagnostics it's difficult to say which part to replace first. There are other codes for the Evap Purge solenoid circuit (P0443) and Evap Pressure switch (P0452) ... which are not getting logged.
Alright so you are saying that that pending code can stick around for a while. As far as the Evap thing I decided to order an ESIM and just install it since it's not that expensive and I don't want to go within a mile of the dealer. I figured if its the purge it would maybe give those codes and even if not it's even cheaper and easier to replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts