Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on my way to the gym. I drove about a mile from my house, then was at a light. The light turned green and I took off quickly and got up to about 47. I stopped at another light and then slowly accelerated to the on ramp. Once I got on the on ramp I hit the gas but not super hard. The car went to shift, and felt like it missed or slipped. Then my check engine light came on and as I gave it gas it wouldn't go. I'm pulled over on the freeway right now trying to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
You are in limp mode. Something happened in the tranny sensor signals that the TCM didn't like and it went into self-protection mode.

It may only be an electronic glitch. Shut the car down and wait a few minutes and restart. It may clear itself.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are in limp mode. Something happened in the tranny sensor signals that the TCM didn't like and it went into self-protection mode.

It may only be an electronic glitch. Shut the car down and wait a few minutes and restart. It may clear itself.
Thank you for responding. That's what i figured. Is the something I didthat caused it? Will it for sure go away?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Thank you for responding. That's what i figured. Is the something I didthat caused it? Will it for sure go away?
I doubt it's anything you did. Limp mode can be triggered for many reasons including random electronic glitches. If that's all it was, it will go way. If there is a real issue, it will return and you can get it repaired based on whatever the codes are.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it's anything you did. Limp mode can be triggered for many reasons including random electronic glitches. If that's all it was, it will go way. If there is a real issue, it will return and you can get it repaired based on whatever the codes are.
Well I got it home and it feels okay driving, but the check engine light is still on. Is there anything I can do? Can I drive it? I'm just confused because the car has 1700 miles on it. I don't know why it would do this.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Well I got it home and it feels okay driving, but the check engine light is still on. Is there anything I can do? Can I drive it? I'm just confused because the car has 1700 miles on it. I don't know why it would do this.
The engine light is on because a code was thrown. If the car is driving fine, it means the code is no longer active and after a couple of drive cycles it will go away.

Yes, you can drive it. If the car goes into limp mode again, get it to the dealer for diagnosis. If the light clears and no further symptoms appear, then chalk it up to a random electronic glitch.

If the problem was real, it will reappear and you can get it resolved.

Don't worry about it much, my car has occasionally had odd things happen like that that went away and never returned. I once had the throttle body lose it's mind while accelerating up a hill and the PCM went nuts trying to figure out what was going on, the car bucked and shook like a rabid dog until I pulled over and shut it down. I restarted it and it was fine. I checked the codes and it said that the throttle position vs. engine rpm had a mismatch. The MIL stayed on for a day or so and then cleared. The issue never returned.

It's kinda like when your home computer locks up for some unknown reason and after you reboot it, all is fine. Todays cars operate more like computers than most folks realize unlike in the old days when a sudden change in vehicle performance was always a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine light is on because a code was thrown. If the car is driving fine, it means the code is no longer active and after a couple of drive cycles it will go away.

Yes, you can drive it. If the car goes into limp mode again, get it to the dealer for diagnosis. If the light clears and no further symptoms appear, then chalk it up to a random electronic glitch.

If the problem was real, it will reappear and you can get it resolved.

Don't worry about it much, my car has occasionally had odd things happen like that that went away and never returned. I once had the throttle body lose it's mind while accelerating up a hill and the PCM went nuts trying to figure out what was going on, the car bucked and shook like a rabid dog until I pulled over and shut it down. I restarted it and it was fine. I checked the codes and it said that the throttle position vs. engine rpm had a mismatch. The MIL stayed on for a day or so and then cleared. The issue never returned.

It's kinda like when your home computer locks up for some unknown reason and after you reboot it, all is fine. Todays cars operate more like computers than most folks realize unlike in the old days when a sudden change in vehicle performance was always a mechanical issue.
Thanks so much man. I really appreciate all the help. I will see what happens over the next couple of days and take it to the dealer if it persists.

Reactions: Razorx

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back in my car, started it and ran through the gears while parked in my driveway. When i go into either reverse or drive, I hear a slight noise. It almost sounds like a suction cup popping off of something. I don't know what it is, but now I'm hesitant to drive it. I think I may just lay low and take it to the dealer tomorrow.... :-\

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And i just noticed it has automatically disabled my mds

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I just got back in my car, started it and ran through the gears while parked in my driveway. When i go into either reverse or drive, I hear a slight noise. It almost sounds like a suction cup popping off of something. I don't know what it is, but now I'm hesitant to drive it. I think I may just lay low and take it to the dealer tomorrow.... :-\
It can't hurt, but don't be too worried about it.

Your Spidey senses are on over-drive right now and you are paying extra attention to things you hear that may be perfectly normal. ;)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It can't hurt, but don't be too worried about it.

Your Spidey senses are on over-drive right now and you are paying extra attention to things you hear that may be perfectly normal. ;)
Yeah you're absolutely right I know haha. I just took it up to my neighbor who is a certified GM mechanic and works for Chevy, and had him listen to what I thought were odd noises coming from the transmission. Of course, he said it's nothing lol. But he did recommend I take it to the dealer to have them look at things and see what codes were thrown. I will have to wait until Monday I guess because the service department isn't open, but until then I'll have to turn my spidey senses off.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MDS is normally off at idle. How do you know it's disabled?
Sorry, just saw that comment. Well I took it for a drive, to see how the gears were shifting, and just noticed it was off.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure enough, I took my charger out to the gym today. The check engine light was on the entire way there, and the MDS remained turned off. I was at the gym for about 3 hours, and when I came out and started my car the light had turned off. MDS was working again. And I am a happy person!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Keep us posted on the dealer's assessment.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep us posted on the dealer's assessment.
I decided not to take it in. The less that I have to take it in to the dealer the better in my opinion. I've had the dealer really mess with me in the past. Last night I hit it pretty hard on an on ramp and it was fine, felt great. If it happens again I'll take it in.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I decided not to take it in. The less that I have to take it in to the dealer the better in my opinion. I've had the dealer really mess with me in the past. Last night I hit it pretty hard on an on ramp and it was fine, felt great. If it happens again I'll take it in.
You don't have to take it to THAT dealership then. I've had warranty work done at 3 different Dodge dealerships in my area. I went to whomever was more convenient at the time.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't have to take it to THAT dealership then. I've had warranty work done at 3 different Dodge dealerships in my area. I went to whomever was more convenient at the time.
This particular dealer would be the most convenient for me, but it has been driving fine. I haven't had any other problems at all. I mean the car is brand new, so it should be fine. If anything else happens or the same issue happens I'll take it in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts