Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had my first problem today with the R/T and now I'm worried...I need you guys help!

I was turning left out of the carwash today into a busy street, had the esp shut off via turn key, and had to give it more gas than I thought b/c of traffic coming behind me. Well needless to say, the tires broke loose and the car hit redline....hard. After I let off and gave it some throttle again, the car acted like it was in neutral: the rpm's were coming up, but I was just still coasting.

So, I pulled off the road, turned the car off / then back on....and everything is back to normal. Engine feels fine, tranny feels fine, oil pressure is up, no tranny fluid leaks, but I do have a check engine light.

Can any of you guys tell me what probably happened and if the car should be ok? I'm going to try to find out what code it threw and I'll update that when I do.

Thanks guys for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update!

Ok, so I went out and did the key trick to pull up the engine codes on the EVIC and it showed ----- for a few seconds and then said "done". After I did this and I started the car to pull it in the garage the check engine light went away. So does this mean I'm in the clear?

I can tell you one thing....I NEVER drive the car with esp disabled...why I did today I don't know. But I'll tell you what....I won't be doing it anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
When you over-rev the engine (usually hitting the rev limiter) you're likely to hit limp mode which acts like you described. Turning the ignition off then back on will clear it. if the CEL clears you're fine. No codes is a very good sign.

If the CEL hadn't gone away, you'd want to have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you over-rev the engine (usually hitting the rev limiter) you're likely to hit limp mode which acts like you described. Turning the ignition off then back on will clear it. if the CEL clears you're fine. No codes is a very good sign.

If the CEL hadn't gone away, you'd want to have the dealer check it out.
mnunes, thank you so much! I figured this was the case b/c I understand how this stuff works....BUT you know how it is when it's your own car acting up! thank you so much for the peace of mind! :beerchug:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can use your predator to check the codes too. I've had mine go into limp mode and just cleared the code with the predator.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Limp mode. The beast protected itself. You're good. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can use your predator to check the codes too. I've had mine go into limp mode and just cleared the code with the predator.
Yes in my frantic state I forgot about that, but once I settled down and collected my thoughts I remembered...and it checked out w/ no codes as well! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Limp mode. The beast protected itself. You're good. :bigthumb:
Well....for the first time in my life "limp mode" was a positive thing! :IThankYou:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts