Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys well I came up on some money and thought I'd invest it on my charger. And was wondering if anyone knew where to get the cheapest CAI from? I'm mainly looking at K&N and maybe mopar. So far Ive only found the k&n for about 250 shipped. was wondering if anyone knew a website were i could get it for cheaper. Or the mopar one. And my car is a 3.5L HO.Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Alright guys well I came up on some money and thought I'd invest it on my charger. And was wondering if anyone knew where to get the cheapest CAI from? I'm mainly looking at K&N and maybe mopar. So far Ive only found the k&n for about 250 shipped. was wondering if anyone knew a website were i could get it for cheaper. Or the mopar one. And my car is a 3.5L HO.Thanks guys
the cheapest intake you can get is one you make. theres been a few on here whove made the same thing you can buy from local auto parts stores for under 70$.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I dont remember the exact amount, but I spent about $100 in making my own intake. A member on LX forums has a write-up about how he made his own, the Frankentake III. I just changed the fitments and bends in the tubing to fit our engine. Here's mine as it is now (the one attached).

·
Registered
608 Posts
If your not the DIY type of guy Try Airaid there pretty cheap and there all the same bro. so dont go thinking theres any difference but the looks. Also the belief here is that is does not add any power at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
bought mine off ebay for $95 shipped to the door. Looks good and is a true CAI not a short ram suckin in hot engine air

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
the cheapest intake is the one that comes on the car. you don't have to pay for it again lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. hey falconma you think u can get me some more info about your CAI? I really like the way it looks and I think i want to go that route. thanks

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If your not the DIY type of guy Try Airaid there pretty cheap and there all the same bro. so dont go thinking theres any difference but the looks. Also the belief here is that is does not add any power at all.

what i dont get is, some parts are dyno proven NOT to stand up to their claims, but other parts that are dyno proven TO stand up to claims, people have a belief they dont add any power.....:knockout: :confused:

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
That's not 'quite' true - there may be small gains, but rarely (if ever) will they be anything like what is advertised. Also, considering the small potential performance benefits when considering the standard power/torque from the engine, these gains are a very small percentage of the whole. Which basically means that any gains could be lost in the noise, on a dyno.

My feeling on the matter is that any gains are got by there being a 'high-flow' filter element - not a greatly improved fluid dynamic design (as some sellers would falsely lead you to believe). This means that the slightly better engine breathing (or Vol. Ef) that occurs is at the expense of intake charge filtration - more carp getting into the engine........

Certainly - if you love the noise, then these are a great addition to the ride. But if you are looking at huge performance gains, you're looking in the wrong place. And with this in mind, they are really not worth more than 250-300 bucks for what you get. Pay more than that and you really are wasting your money...unless of course you really love the design - then you are paying for something you love - so that's fair enough. :)

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
That's not 'quite' true - there may be small gains, but rarely (if ever) will they be anything like what is advertised. Also, considering the small potential performance benefits when considering the standard power/torque from the engine, these gains are a very small percentage of the whole. Which basically means that any gains could be lost in the noise, on a dyno.

My feeling on the matter is that any gains are got by there being a 'high-flow' filter element - not a greatly improved fluid dynamic design (as some sellers would falsely lead you to believe). This means that the slightly better engine breathing (or Vol. Ef) that occurs is at the expense of intake charge filtration - more carp getting into the engine........

Certainly - if you love the noise, then these are a great addition to the ride. But if you are looking at huge performance gains, you're looking in the wrong place. And with this in mind, they are really not worth more than 250-300 bucks for what you get. Pay more than that and you really are wasting your money...unless of course you really love the design - then you are paying for something you love - so that's fair enough. :)

def agree to that, brah.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts