Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my license plate light is out, and every mechanic I talked to basically said the price to fix it is open ended because it "could take 2 hours could take all day" and I really don't feel like spending $700 for a gosh darn little tiny light and or relatively small length of cable. Does anyone know a way to fix it without breaking the bank? Attachable battery powered LEDs? Or I was thinking of getting a new socket with open wires and just attaching a wire and drilling a darn hole through the back of my bumper and routing it the Parking Lights fusebox or whichever one it needs to be on. Anyone have any experience doing something like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check you tube should show you how to do it. Probably only take a few minutes and a screw driver.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It takes 2 minutes to do. They make LED ones, but the bulb is a bit bigger so you have to do some playing around. If you're just replacing a stock bulb it'll take a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
So my license plate light is out, and every mechanic I talked to basically said the price to fix it is open ended because it "could take 2 hours could take all day" and I really don't feel like spending $700 for a gosh darn little tiny light and or relatively small length of cable. Does anyone know a way to fix it without breaking the bank? Attachable battery powered LEDs? Or I was thinking of getting a new socket with open wires and just attaching a wire and drilling a darn hole through the back of my bumper and routing it the Parking Lights fusebox or whichever one it needs to be on. Anyone have any experience doing something like this?
The mechanics you've talked to either don't want to do such a small job, or are thieves.

As has been pointed out upthread, replacing your license plate light bulb is quick and easy.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Or they think you’re extremely gullible.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's not a bulb issue we tested the socket and it's dead, also could be a wire issue, it happened when I had it in a body shop getting painted for insurance purposes and it happened when they took the bumper off. A mechanic trouble shot it for an hour but I don't think they removed the bumper they did minimal checking. Where should I start? I know the socket is dead. I don't think I tested the wire itself going in to the socket I should probably do that.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well it's not a bulb issue we tested the socket and it's dead, also could be a wire issue, it happened when I had it in a body shop getting painted for insurance purposes and it happened when they took the bumper off. A mechanic trouble shot it for an hour but I don't think they removed the bumper they did minimal checking. Where should I start? I know the socket is dead. I don't think I tested the wire itself going in to the socket I should probably do that.
The body shop may have buggered up the harness. It comes out of the body at the passenger side rear, below the tailliight. First, meter the socket as you mentioned, then start tracing the harness back into the trunk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The body shop may have buggered up the harness. It comes out of the body at the passenger side rear, below the tailliight. First, meter the socket as you mentioned, then start tracing the harness back into the trunk.
Is there any way to do this without removing the bumper?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You can start by metering the socket, and then tracing the lines in the trunk. But if the body shop damaged it, the damage may be under the bumper cover.

You can try taking off the tiny splash panel to see what you can see up there, but I don't think that'll help much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Is it possible to remove the rear passenger brake light......test the wire at the harness? Does the wire go beyond that? And if it terminates at the harness.....and if it's bad.....could I snake a new wire to the License Plate Light socket using a coat hanger or something? If so, any idea what type of wire for the light socket I would need?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Is it possible to remove the rear passenger brake light......test the wire at the harness? Does the wire go beyond that? And if it terminates at the harness.....and if it's bad.....could I snake a new wire to the License Plate Light socket using a coat hanger or something? If so, any idea what type of wire for the light socket I would need?
<shrugs> You can try it. The taillights come out of the first-gen cars easily enough. I've never taken an LED racetrack out.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The LED racetrack light panel is easy to take off. I want to say like 6-10 10mm nuts and pull off car. Easy peasy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts