Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's 2007 Charger (2.7) has me stumped. The main power wire for the alternator fell onto the exhaust manifold and melted and shorted out blowing the alternator. I replaced the bad section of wire and put on a new alternator but it's still not charging. I took the new alternator back to the store to verify its working condition and had it tested twice and both times it tested out good. I've checked all of the fuses and have not found any that are blown. I verified the battery is fully charged. I'm reading 12.5 volts at the battery, at the fuse boxes in the engine compartment and the trunk as well as at the starter lug but I'm only reading 4.5 volts on the alternator power wire. I thought maybe I did a bad splice job and removed it but still reads the same at the cut. I know the alternator is controlled by the computer so correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there should be 12.5 volts at all times on that main power wire as well. Is there a fusible link somewhere? If there is and it popped the fusible link then I would assume that I wouldn't be reading any voltage on that wire at all. What am I missing? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not, but ...

The alternator has a ground connection, a Field Control connection and the positive (+) connection. The Field Control is connected to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

In parallel to the alternator is the starter, battery and Power Distribution Center (PDC). There is a Fusible Link between the starter (+) and the splice that connects to the alternator (+).

Starter (+) is also connected to the battery (+) terminal, and the battery (+) terminal is also connected to the PDC (+). The battery (-) ground completes the circuit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts