Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I just joined this site because I recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT/8, Plum Crazy. I'm absolutely loving my car right now. However, today, when I went into the garage to do get into the car, I clicked the disable button on my alarm, and it didn't communicate with the receiver in the car. After trying to unlock the door with the button on my key itself and that not working, I used the key to open the door. No interior lights came on. I tried to start the car. Nothing. No lights, no radio, no clicking. Now, granted, I bought the car used in April, and there's only 15,000 miles on it. Could it even be a battery issue at this point? The carfax showed it had 2 previous owners, both located in Illinois as well, so there was inclimate weather. But a dead battery at 15,000 miles??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Mileage doesn't (directly) kill batteries, age does. If it's the original battery it's 5 years old and likely needs to be replaced.

And welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! I hope to get some pictures up in the next few weeks of the small mods I've made to it. I've already changed out the factory red tail lights to smoked out LED's. I've got new headlights and fog lights on the way. I hope to be an active member of these forums.

As far as the battery situation, I'm hoping that's all it is. Figuring it's a used car, I'm assuming the battery is pretty old. Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
If the battery is still good, then user error has occurred. I have used my battery charger more than once, unfortunately!

And welcome!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hey everyone! I just joined this site because I recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT/8, Plum Crazy. I'm absolutely loving my car right now. However, today, when I went into the garage to do get into the car, I clicked the disable button on my alarm, and it didn't communicate with the receiver in the car. After trying to unlock the door with the button on my key itself and that not working, I used the key to open the door. No interior lights came on. I tried to start the car. Nothing. No lights, no radio, no clicking. Now, granted, I bought the car used in April, and there's only 15,000 miles on it. Could it even be a battery issue at this point? The carfax showed it had 2 previous owners, both located in Illinois as well, so there was inclimate weather. But a dead battery at 15,000 miles??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Monster,

I agree with the other poster in that the battery is at least 5 years old and maybe even over 6 if it was an early build vehicle. Hopefully it is just a battery issue. Post up what you find the cause to be.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What you describe is a dead battery. Nothing else it could be.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
The battery in the key fob is a Panasonic CR2032. I went to Walgreen's and purchased a set of two Energizer batteries for $6.99

The replacement steps are very easy (don't go to the dealer):

1. Remove the valet key by pushing on the slide and pulling it straight out.
2. Using a thin-bladed screwdriver or a knife edge, unsnap the key fob by
gently prying around all of the edges.
3. One the key fob splits apart, simply pull out the old battery and insert the
new one. (Don't worry, unlike some watches, there are no loose parts
inside).
4. Handle the new battery around the edges and push it into place using
your thumb and index finger (Tip- Use a small piece of paper towel to
avoid getting any hand oil on the new battery and angle the battery in
towards the silver retaining clips).
5. Align the two halves of the key fob and snap them together.
6. Reinsert your valet key.
7. Test your locks to insure that they are working.

You are done (less than 5 minutes)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts