Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went over to my friends house the other day and when i went to leave my car wouldn't start, no cranking or nothing. turn the key nothing happens. when my cars dead i usually get some clicking and maybe an attempt at cranking but this time I'm getting nothing at all. popped the hood and the only thing i get when i turn the key is a click in the relay and the fuel system. everything electrical in the car works and the battery seems fine ( i did try jumping it and still nothing, not even a crank) i also tried swapping out the relay and nothing so i called up a buddy and we hooked up a tow strap onto it and pulled it home with my explorer. when i got it into my drive way i put it on the lift and looked under it and took my electrical meter to the starter and IT IS getting its 12 volts. so my guess is that the starter is bad ? does anyone have any experience with this. i also tried disconnecting the battery and touching the posi and neg together(read that online, didnt work). luckily my friend does have an extra starter for his R/T that he never used but before i try and put that on i want to make sure its the starter. the car is also throwing no codes. thanks let me know what you guys think.
-alex

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
First, no need to post multiple threads for the same question.

Second, you may have a defective ignition switch, The lock cylinder assembly has been known to fail causing this type of problem. It's also possible that you lost the starter relay module in the under hood fuse box. It can also fail. It's also possible the starter has failed.

When you turn the key to the on position, do all of the dash lights activate and go through the full cycle of being ready? Did you check the power to the starter once the starter relay was activated? Did you bench test the starter to see if it activates?

Why not throw another starter in it and see if it works? He has one you can use and it's a simple swap. If nothing else, it will help narrow down what the issue may be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starter

i dont post often didnt know where to post so i did both but yes i had my friend turning the key while i was testing the power to the starter and yes everything lights up like its ready to start but i dont get anything. i did read something about the ignition when i was searching for an answer but could that still be the problem even though im getting a click on the relay when i turn the key and power to the starter ?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
i dont post often didnt know where to post so i did both but yes i had my friend turning the key while i was testing the power to the starter and yes everything lights up like its ready to start but i dont get anything. i did read something about the ignition when i was searching for an answer but could that still be the problem even though im getting a click on the relay when i turn the key and power to the starter ?
If you are seeing the power go to the starter when the relay is activated but the starter doesn't engage, it probably the starter. I'd start there since you have another one available and it's a simple swap.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is always worth a shot. Try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes. But the same thing happened in my ram once. I went to the store and when I came out, everything came on but it wouldn't crank or nothing. I tried jumping it, changing the battery in the key fob. Nothing. So we had it towed to a mechanic and it was there for weeks and they couldn't figure it out. We were about to have it towed to the dealership until I read someone had the same problem. Their remedy was they disconnected the battery for a bit to reset everything and it started. Same thing happened with mine. We called them and told them to disconnect it for a while and then try to start it, and it fired right up. Really weird. Sorry for the story =P

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx ill try these out. also does anyone know if i can use the starter he has for his r/t even though i have an srt?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The R/T and the SRT use the same starter as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a similar issue

My car would not start and I would get stranded either at work or the house because one minute it would start and the next it wouldn't at all.

My battery was good, I assumed my alternator and starter were good (which they turned out to be fine)

It was my starter relay

I think the coil went bad in it, and it was around a $20 fix at a local auto parts store.

I tested it by switching it with my windshield wiper relays and my car would start every time, but my wipers did not work so I knew that was the problem.

Mine is a 2008, and this guy's video shows he has a 2008 as well but it is a known problem that occurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmLwC3MI9ks

Fortunately it is a fairly inexpensive fix, or free if you want temporary non working wipers

Part # for mine was 20367

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine is an 08 and what do you know?? Has had the same problem for about six months now. It always starts but seems to take 10-20 minutes sometimes. Only once I had to wait a solid two hours. But if I keep turning the key fob halfway. Let all the electronics start up then crank it usually helps. Also it works WAY more likely in cold. Have read threads about the starter relay and now I will just go ahead and try swapping it before I really get stranded.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wtf

yea i tried replacing the starter relay but that isnt the problem. i took the actual starter off and started it manually by hooking up power to see if it works and it does, so thats not the problem either. also in my first post i said that when i measured to see if power was getting to the starter there was, but there actually isnt.

i took the key ignition out, found a broken piece of metal that you can see in the attached image and taped it back together (for now) and thats not the problem either. im so stumped. could my car we locked out by the anti-theft security system or something? if so how would i go about fixing that.

when i jumped the two connecters together where the starter relay goes my starter kicked in. so it seems to me that something is keeping power from getting to the relay. to start the car.

what is going on. :scratchhead: :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
yea i tried replacing the starter relay but that isnt the problem. i took the actual starter off and started it manually by hooking up power to see if it works and it does, so thats not the problem either. also in my first post i said that when i measured to see if power was getting to the starter there was, but there actually isnt.

i took the key ignition out, found a broken piece of metal that you can see in the attached image and taped it back together (for now) and thats not the problem either. im so stumped. could my car we locked out by the anti-theft security system or something? if so how would i go about fixing that.

when i jumped the two connecters together where the starter relay goes my starter kicked in. so it seems to me that something is keeping power from getting to the relay. to start the car.

what is going on. :scratchhead: :confused:
What year is it?

Did you actually replace or switch the starter relay or just jumper wire it?

The starter relay is Five Pronged, and jumping it with a wire doesn't always complete the circuit. It may give power to the starter, but I believe there might be other functions it does. Power, ground, and three other terminals.

I tried a jumper wire and it didn't work. I switched the wiper relay which was the same part and then it worked.

You can check your fuses as well to make sure none are blown!

I would try those first.

Hopefully that metal piece that broke off doesn't affect a mechanical movement that would affect things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2006. yea i tried everything, when you jump them you connect the two pins that come together as if it were an actual relay and it sends power to the starter.

but the problem with my car was the ignition and now for some reason my security kicked in and my car only runs for 2 secs then shuts down and the anti theft light is flashing

·
Registered
119 Posts
2006. yea i tried everything, when you jump them you connect the two pins that come together as if it were an actual relay and it sends power to the starter.

but the problem with my car was the ignition and now for some reason my security kicked in and my car only runs for 2 secs then shuts down and the anti theft light is flashing
My last post was explaining that simply jumping the pins didn't work in my case because there is more going on than those two connections - there are three other prongs that serve some type of function in the car's electrical system.

Try googling the anti theft light?

Maybe disconnect and reconnect your battery as well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i went over to my friends house the other day and when i went to leave my car wouldn't start, no cranking or nothing. turn the key nothing happens. when my cars dead i usually get some clicking and maybe an attempt at cranking but this time I'm getting nothing at all. popped the hood and the only thing i get when i turn the key is a click in the relay and the fuel system. everything electrical in the car works and the battery seems fine ( i did try jumping it and still nothing, not even a crank) i also tried swapping out the relay and nothing so i called up a buddy and we hooked up a tow strap onto it and pulled it home with my explorer. when i got it into my drive way i put it on the lift and looked under it and took my electrical meter to the starter and IT IS getting its 12 volts. so my guess is that the starter is bad ? does anyone have any experience with this. i also tried disconnecting the battery and touching the posi and neg together(read that online, didnt work). luckily my friend does have an extra starter for his R/T that he never used but before i try and put that on i want to make sure its the starter. the car is also throwing no codes. thanks let me know what you guys think.
-alex
issue might be your starter get the starter replace or get it checked out

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,168 Posts
Well, considering the problem happened 7 years ago and he hasn't been back since...I'd bet it's fixed or gone
Another Victim of the search engine my friend. I'm telling you this forum style has the worse search engine of all the forums I'm apart of. You always get some really old threads. In some cases that might be fine especially if the info is what you're looking for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts