Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching if putting my Charger SE 3.5 - 5 speed on a tow dolly behind my motorhome is possible.

Generally, RWD cars on tow dollys don't work out. I'm supposed to look in my owner's manual to determine if putting my Charger in Neutral and using a tow dolly is possible --- but I don't have a owner's manual.

Anyone have info ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
It'll be just like any other rwd car with an automatic, either take the driveshaft out or have the back wheels on the dolly.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If you put the rear wheels on the dolly make sure to lock the steering wheel with a strap.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
couldnt u just turn the wheel to the lock position and not need the strap?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
couldnt u just turn the wheel to the lock position and not need the strap?
The steering wheel lock is not made to stand up to the forces encountered when towing and turning with the wheels in motion. I've seen them break and it's VERY ugly when it happens. A friend wiped out 4 cars (plus his own) on a street when towing backwards like that behind his RV without a strap when his steering lock broke. Cost him over $90 grand since his insurance denied his claim stating "improper and reckless towing".

·
Registered
942 Posts
There should be a shift lock mechanism(talk to a local tow truck company) so the car can be towed with out dropping the drive shaft. I would not recommend towing w/ drives up on the dolly.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Chargers don't have a steering wheel lock. :(
All the more reason for a strap. Tow truck drivers use them. They used one on my SRT-8 when towing it in for the shifter broken pink thingy problem (couldn't tow from the front for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the more reason for a strap. Tow truck drivers use them. They used one on my SRT-8 when towing it in for the shifter broken pink thingy problem (couldn't tow from the front for obvious reasons).
Ok I am trying to figure out the same thing. Uhaul and all the other towing companies say they don't have anything that I can use to tow my charger (2012 police charger) Just bought it in FLorida and need to tow all the way to maryland. I don't know about cars but my nephew is willing to tow it with his Dodge Ram. What is the issue with the platform towing bed? Is it the width, length weight? Any way around this? Or is there anything else that can be rented to tow it? its an automatic btw

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Just too much weight so Uhaul is playing it safe. You can lie and tell them you are towing a Neon and get the trailer in 5 minutes but hate to do that. You've called everybody?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Put it on a transport truck

Leave it at the airport, fly back down and drive it back

Buy a trailer for the car and sell it when you get to maryland.

Sell the car and buy another one in Maryland

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car has some mechanical problems that need to be fixed which is why I can't drive it home. I got it super cheap to have fixed and resell...maybe keep :) I had seen other people say it would probably be fine on the uhaul flatbed thingy but not sure how to be 100% positive without going all the way down to florida. Don't want to find out it doesn't fit or something after I'm there. I did call Penske as well and they said the same thing. Not sure where else to look.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Ok I am trying to figure out the same thing. Uhaul and all the other towing companies say they don't have anything that I can use to tow my charger (2012 police charger) Just bought it in FLorida and need to tow all the way to maryland. I don't know about cars but my nephew is willing to tow it with his Dodge Ram. What is the issue with the platform towing bed? Is it the width, length weight? Any way around this? Or is there anything else that can be rented to tow it? its an automatic btw
Just too much weight so Uhaul is playing it safe. You can lie and tell them you are towing a Neon and get the trailer in 5 minutes but hate to do that. You've called everybody?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Uhaul has a formula for what they allow. They base it on the tow vehicle, hitch and vehicle being hauled. A Ram should be sufficient to pull the trailer with Charger on it, though it depends on you GVWR. The tow vehicle's configuration plays into how much it can tow, based on cab size, 2 or 4 wheel drive, engine, etc. The hitch obviously has to be of sufficient size for the load and you have to have wiring for lights.

Uhaul allows 5,290 lbs on their car haulers so a Charger is able to be towed with the correct tow vehicle.
The tow vehicle must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and must equal or exceed 80% of the combined weight of the trailer (2,210 lbs.) and the vehicle being towed (up to 5,290 lbs.). So to use rough numbers a 2K lbs trailer towing a 4K lbs car is 6K lbs. The tow vehicle must be at least 4,800 lbs for that scenario.
If you're nephew's Ram doesn't meet their tow requirements you can rent a pickup from Uhaul as well as a trailer.

These restriction are in place to protect you, and the public. You need to not only be able to pull the trailer, but also control and stop it. If your load exceeds the tow vehicle, you have no chance of successfully performing any emergency maneuvers, because the trailer will control the truck rather than the truck controlling the trailer.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
939 Posts
U-Haul pickups are very expensive to rent, because it's a daily rate plus 10 cents a mile or so.

In my area Craigslist has car hauler trailers for under 3 grand. If you can front the bucks pick one up, move your car then sell the trailer for what you paid for it. Might even make a bit of profit off the trailer if you get a rough looking one and clean it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts