Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if anyone else caught this in the Aug. issue of Car&Driver , but it is interesting.

Top-Gear Acceleration

30-50 MPH 50-70 MPH

Aston Martin DB9-- 2.8 sec 3.3 sec
$164,500

Ferrari F430-- 5.1 sec 3.7 sec
$191,225

Ford GT-- 8.7 sec 7.4 sec
$156,945

Lamborghini Gallardo-- 4.0 sec 6.2 sec
$181,350

Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG-- 2.0 2.3 sec
$189,970

Porsche 911 Turbo S-- 10.3 sec 7.8 sec $147,435

Charger R/T w/ R/T Pkg $35,565

30-50 MPH 2.8 sec 50-70 MPH 3.5 sec
Not bad for a 35k car, huh?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Very nice jvs60. Let me move your numbers around to better show the comparisons:

(Sorry, had to do as image so things would line up)

·
Registered
28 Posts
There has to be something wrong with those numbers......explain to me how the Ford GT can run 11s in the 1/4 mile but takes 8.7 seconds to get from 30-50 MPH and another 7.4 seconds to get from 50-70......I think even a Kia gets from 30-70 in less than 16.1 seconds. If the title denotes that they were ACTUALLY in top gear, than that is a stupid comparison.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Killer - I agree with you, another member (DUTCH) posted on a different thread that it is unfair to compare the R/T in Auto to any other car in Manual TOP GEAR... The AUTO comparisons are OK... However, I am reposting a test done by MPH Magazine whereas the R/T was compared in the same tests to the MUSTANG GT and GTO while in BEST GEAR (not top gear)... Below is a re-post of those tests from MPH - Aug05 - Pg. 57...

BEST GEAR ACCELERATION

30-50 Passing:- -SPEED- -MODE/GEAR

Charger R/T- -(3.1sec)- -AUTO
Mustang GT- -(3.9sec)- -MANUAL 3rd
GTO- -(3.2sec)- -MANUAL 3rd

50 - 70 Passing:

Charger R/T- -(3.5sec)- -AUTO
Mustang GT - -(5.2sec)- -MANUAL 4th
GTO - -(4.4sec)- -MANUAL 4th

So as you all can see these numbers boast VERY well for the Charger. The R/T moves from lane to lane in a very rigid/stiff manner and moves like a rocket from 30 - 50 and greater MPH....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Actually JVS60 figures make sence, Top gear accl. means that the Ford GT, Ferrari , Porsche etc... are left in their highest gear then put to the floor, the RPM's are probably around 2000, so it will take a long time to get into the power band. The turbo porsche will suffer because it will have almost NO torque at that rpm. With the auto, they will automatically kick down so the car will perform much better. I never understood why they do top gear accl. with manual tranny cars, it is useless. And yes a Kia would beat the high end cars above in top gear accl. because with the Kia you could go from 5th to 2nd or 3rd and be in the power band. Now do the same top gear accl. but this time at around 80 to 90 mph and everything changes. :clap:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also, all of those other cars are designed to run on the autobahn at speeds of 150+ all day, they are all geared very high especially in 6th gear.

The second test just shows what we already know, Chargers (especially the TorRed ones) are faster than Mustang GT's and GTO's!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Has anyone tested an SRT8 compared to these results? I would be interested to see that.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm lost, WTF is the point of that road test.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
ok even though im a charger fan, those results are major bs, nothing fair to the other cars, 30 to 50? oh come on, at 30, with the hammer your dropping to 1st gear and your on ur way?

what was the other, 50 to 70? ok drop it again, bam 2nd gear and your rocking in the power zone, and keep the other cars in 3rd manual? thats lame

I agree, the charger is pretty darn good once rolling, but hey, im pretty sure those other cars will fair better, well hell they better for that price :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm lost, WTF is the point of that road test.
your funny man i feel you, yeah these numbers are kinda strange? they do not show which car is the "fastest" or best performing because of the gearing and auto vs manual differences. i think 0 to 60 times flat out are better way to measure the performance between these cars of vearying prices. and if you were to measure those super cars vs the charger r/t and srt-8 i think u would be pleasantly surprised to see that our beloved charger has a little super car in it!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Aston Martin DB9 - Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 4.7

Ferrari F430 - Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 4.0

Ford GT - Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 3.8 (source: Car&Driver)

Lamborghini Gallardo - Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 4.0

Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG - Acceleration 0-60 mph s: 4

Porsche 911 Turbo S - Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 4.2

Charger srt-8 - Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 5.0

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Has anyone tested an SRT8 compared to these results? I would be interested to see that.
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 2.7
50-70 mph: 3.0

versus

Charger R/T w/ R/T Pkg $35,565

30-50 MPH 2.8 sec 50-70 MPH 3.5 sec

As you can tell, the SRT8 power advantage is not as strong 30-50

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
By the time I give it gas and listen to the engine I'm already way over the speed limit. Kinda sucks :( I'm thinking of starting my own counterculture of doing performance mods to negatively change the performance.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
By the time I give it gas and listen to the engine I'm already way over the speed limit. Kinda sucks :( I'm thinking of starting my own counterculture of doing performance mods to negatively change the performance.
You raise an interesting point.

Cars have become so fast now that to truly "wind them out" you are at superlegal speeds that even a 1/4 mile track can't handle.

That is why some people actually liked the Miata. You could have fun under 70mph

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You raise an interesting point.

Cars have become so fast now that to truly "wind them out" you are at superlegal speeds that even a 1/4 mile track can't handle.

That is why some people actually liked the Miata. You could have fun under 70mph
Yeah I've got to say that I seriously get dissapointed sometimes at how fast I exceed speed limits. I used to drive crappy V6 beaters like a Pontiac 6000, Buick, Ford Taurus, etc. At least with those when I had a bad day I could stomp the accel and hear the engine screaming away. I get into my Charger now and right when it starts to sound good I'm well over the speed limit. It's like your mom walking in on you alone... It's not satisfying and there's this weird guilt feeling.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's like your mom walking in on you alone... It's not satisfying and there's this weird guilt feeling.
Hysterical!

·
Registered
846 Posts
.3 seconds is roughly 30 feet, so side by side rt vs srt at 30mph... both punch it ROUGHLY the srt should be about 30 feet ahead at 50mph.......

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
.3 seconds is roughly 30 feet, so side by side rt vs srt at 30mph... both punch it ROUGHLY the srt should be about 30 feet ahead at 50mph.......
Except it is 0.1 difference from 30 to 50

·
Registered
846 Posts
oops, then roughtly 9 feet. if i get a chance ill try and do the actual calculation....

60 feet at 70.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts