Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know, not even the same class of cars, but Ive been looking at buying something new for a while now and have come down to these two choices. Ive driven a Mustang for most of my driving life, 71 Mach1, 92 GT, 95 GT Conv. I love the cars, and have grown used to the cramped spaces (Im 6'2''), I actually like the ****pit interior compared to other roomier cars Ive driven. But, Im getting older, and a sedan looks like the better choice now.

Well, after a month of drooling over both cars, I went out and test drove both yesterday. I was probably 90% towards the Charger before driving either one. The Charger had plenty of power, though I never got a chance to romp it like I would have liked, the streets the salesman took me too were a little too crowded for it. I liked the interior, though it was somewhat odd to have so much space lol, I fit well in it and the ergonomics were pretty good for me. I wish it was a little more 'stately' though. I loved the trunk!! Holy heck its big. I was impressed with the driving expierence, limited as it was, Id rate it maybe a 7/10. One thing I really like about the Charger is I think there are some awesome mods that really make it stand out, wood highlighted interiors, tinted windows, wheels...a new exhaust system is going to be a must have though.

Then I test drove the Mustang. Wow. It sounded so nice from the start, the salesman started one up to check the gas and left it running while he went to get another set of keys, and it sounded...mean. Im not so sure I liked the interior, it was kind of gaudy compared to the other Mustangs Ive driven, and seemed smaller than my current '95, even though mine is a convertable. Im not a real big fan of chrome on the interior, and whatever package this 'Stang had had too much of it and felt kind of cheap. The interior was kind of "spaceshipish", it didnt seem to fit well with the retro inspired exterior design. But the driving expierence was awesome. This saleman knew a much better spot to test drive, half mile of nothing but me, out behind some school of some sort, it was great. The car really performs, and the salesguy wasnt fazed by me laying down a decent line. He knew that I was leaning towards to the Charger before hand, so Im guessing he was gonna let me do anything to try and change my mind. I have to say, Ive driven Fords forever, all mine, my dads Broncoes, his Harley pickup, my ex's 97 GT, this new Mustang is the best product they have ever put out. 5 years ago I would have driven it off the lot yesterday, but Im older now...shucks. Driving this car for me was a 10/10, at least for the short term, Im not sure how my girlfriends kids will like the lack of a backseat though.

Anybody else moved from a truer sportscar to the Charger? What do you think? Would doing some exhaust/air modding pick up the power? I'm going to have to test the Charger again and hit it a little harder than the first time. I wonder if the Charger guy will let me drive over to the Ford dealership and park it next to a Mustang for a side by side look :wink:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
my salesman let me open it up big time and i loved it....knew i had to have one when i saw it in person. i have always liked the mustang, it IS a sports car and has all of the features (small inside, no backseat-ok a shelf, no trunk space, great handling and very quick and mean) but it is too small for my family and i also test drove the 05 mustang....just seemed (i think you said it your post) cheap to me. out of the gate the mustang is a little quicker, but the mustang can not hold a candle to the rolling start - the charger pulls hard and loves to give you more.

my two cents man, but if you got the money and you have a family you can't go wrong with the charger. and yes there are alot of mods for a 2 to 3 month old car and tons more coming.....do a search through this site and you will see what some have already done....cold air intake, headers, exhaust galore, gsm just got us a little chip to help out on the launch, supercharger, springs(still waiting on shocks), etc.

go back to the dealership and tell the saleman you are leaning towards the mustang...he should find you a patch to go nuts on!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I'll tell you. I'm going from an 01 GT to a Charger. My current GT gets about 505 to the wheels and 480 pounds of torque, so I'm REALLY going to hate letting it go but I just love the look of the new chargers. I too have been a mustang man ALL my life and this is the first time I'm deviating. But I'm 35 so thinking of maybe trying to start a family and settling down. That being said...I will go with no Charger but the SRT8. I know it's still a bit of a wait but I need to get my current mustang sold anyway so I need a little time. I would say the SRT8 Charger probably gets around 380 or 390 to the wheels but coming from what I currently have I will need to step up to the supercharger, possibly cams and exhaust. I will probably add a methanol system to so that will put me way over what I get with my current mustang. AND since the SRT8 already has suspension upgrades and the meaner look, I'm afraid the RT just wouldn't do it for me. But you're not alone in the change from the mustang to the Charger. This is the first car to come along in quite some time that's peaked my interest. Gotta act on that. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a 97 Pontiac GTP since it was new and loved the supercharger torque.
The car was a pleasure to drive and gave me minimal problems and 79k miles. But....... there is something heart warming about a V-8 pulling you up your favorite expressway ramp that I just can't live without !!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wildcard313 said:
Anybody else moved from a truer sportscar to the Charger? What do you think? Would doing some exhaust/air modding pick up the power? I'm going to have to test the Charger again and hit it a little harder than the first time. I wonder if the Charger guy will let me drive over to the Ford dealership and park it next to a Mustang for a side by side look :wink:
My previous car was a '99 Mustang, and I couldn't be happier with my Charger R/T. Basically, the way I look at it, by choosing the Charger over an '05 GT, you trade a couple tenths in the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times for a car you can comfortably fit four normal-sized humans in. It's got more HP than the GT, it's just that they're pushing a heavier car around. In terms of the "luxury" options, the Charger wins hands down. I've also noticed that, because of better weight balance, my R/T holds the road much better than my Mustang did, but it's possible the '05s addressed this (I didn't get a chance to try to drift the GT during a test drive.) Everything else is subjective (styling, etc. including the cheesy Mustang interior you mentioned.)

If you're worried about the Charger not sounding "throaty" enough, that can be solved with some simple exhaust mods that people here have already done. If you want more power, you can do that too, but you can add more power to a Mustang also. The simple fact is, the GT will move faster because it's lighter. If that's more important to you, then the 'Stang is your car. But, while the Stang owner boasts about his slight win in the 1/4 mile, the Charger owner is in his car's roomy back seat with the 'Stang owner's girlfriend. ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I definitely like the horsepower of the charger srt-8 better then the mustang GT,however the mustang GT is a great value for looks and bang for the buck. But I'm a horsepower freak soo its going to be the charger srt-8,however that new Shelby GT-500 Cobra Mustang looks like its going to be faster and better lookin' then all of them IMO for the price,soo I got my eye on that one as well--Its going to be hard to beat that deal with the price of about $39,500 and close to 500 hp-wow,its lookin better everyday. :happy: However if ya need a family car as well then I'd have to say charger srt-8 is the way to go,only because of the 4 drs.,and more room. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chargemont said:
Why are you comparing a wild horse to an automobile? Is this 1908?
Well, thats kind of lame, guess you don't know the definition of "Charger", its actually a great name for these two cars. In fact, as little as this Charger resembles the original, its a better name for this car than the old.

Though looking at the dictionary definitions of both words, a wild horse vs a trained war horse, it kind of fits. Out and out wild power vs trained refinement...

Oh well, going to go buy now. Still leaning a great bit towards the Charger, and Im going straight to the Dodge dealership first. If the salesguy can do anything for me its a done deal. Of course, thats assuming I can get financed :whistle:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wildcard313 said:
I know I know, not even the same class of cars, but Ive been looking at buying something new for a while now and have come down to these two choices. Ive driven a Mustang for most of my driving life, 71 Mach1, 92 GT, 95 GT Conv. I love the cars, and have grown used to the cramped spaces (Im 6'2''), I actually like the ****pit interior compared to other roomier cars Ive driven. But, Im getting older, and a sedan looks like the better choice now.

Well, after a month of drooling over both cars, I went out and test drove both yesterday. I was probably 90% towards the Charger before driving either one. The Charger had plenty of power, though I never got a chance to romp it like I would have liked, the streets the salesman took me too were a little too crowded for it. I liked the interior, though it was somewhat odd to have so much space lol, I fit well in it and the ergonomics were pretty good for me. I wish it was a little more 'stately' though. I loved the trunk!! Holy heck its big. I was impressed with the driving expierence, limited as it was, Id rate it maybe a 7/10. One thing I really like about the Charger is I think there are some awesome mods that really make it stand out, wood highlighted interiors, tinted windows, wheels...a new exhaust system is going to be a must have though.

Then I test drove the Mustang. Wow. It sounded so nice from the start, the salesman started one up to check the gas and left it running while he went to get another set of keys, and it sounded...mean. Im not so sure I liked the interior, it was kind of gaudy compared to the other Mustangs Ive driven, and seemed smaller than my current '95, even though mine is a convertable. Im not a real big fan of chrome on the interior, and whatever package this 'Stang had had too much of it and felt kind of cheap. The interior was kind of "spaceshipish", it didnt seem to fit well with the retro inspired exterior design. But the driving expierence was awesome. This saleman knew a much better spot to test drive, half mile of nothing but me, out behind some school of some sort, it was great. The car really performs, and the salesguy wasnt fazed by me laying down a decent line. He knew that I was leaning towards to the Charger before hand, so Im guessing he was gonna let me do anything to try and change my mind. I have to say, Ive driven Fords forever, all mine, my dads Broncoes, his Harley pickup, my ex's 97 GT, this new Mustang is the best product they have ever put out. 5 years ago I would have driven it off the lot yesterday, but Im older now...shucks. Driving this car for me was a 10/10, at least for the short term, Im not sure how my girlfriends kids will like the lack of a backseat though.

If you want it all, you need to buy a Daytona!!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hehe, well the Daytona wasnt what I wanted. The Gomango is a cool color, but all the stickers on it made me turn green, especially the pricing sticker.

Did pick up a Vanilla White R/T. I was real happy they had it, and surprised it wasnt on the lot but in a back storage area.

So far, cant be happier with the car. Its a little different than the Mustang I was driving, but its fast enough when you need it. I really like the color also, was leaning towards black, but you can see the lines of the car a little better with the Vanilla I think, and it also wont look as bad when a little dirty.

Now, need pipes and rims, and maybe some wood work done on the inside, and a tint job, and maybe a aftermarket GPS, and a new shifter knob, and some ports on the side, and a CAI...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts