Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts of Charger Vs. GTO and Mustang....but those are smaller coupes.

Anyone tangled with a large sedan, specifically a Marauder. Just saw one today and it made me wonder........

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
i would still buy one, that would be the ultimate sleeper...that motor is a good base for a nasty monster with the right equipment...

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
i would still buy one, that would be the ultimate sleeper...that motor is a good base for a nasty monster with the right equipment...

Just make sure you get the tranny upgrade as the trans seems to "hunt" for gear. The one I had was all over the map, going 65mph on the highway you could hear it shift from OD to 3rd to 4th back to 3rd and back to OD for no reason. When I was lurking on the Marauder forum, it seemed to be a normal problem...

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
A 2004 would be the only Marauder to consider as Ford upgraded the tranny quite a bit, gave it a bigger torque converter and allowed it to downshift at higher speeds.

But any stock Marauder is easy pray for a stock R/T (they're about 7 seconds to 60 and a 15-something 1/4 mile)

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
A stock Marauder better to stick to racing 3.5 liter Chargers as the 5.7 will smoke it without trying.

THe Marauder is a victim of Ford's undersizing of the modular V8. It is too small to develop the torque needed to drive a big car. It moves ok once going but is a dog from a standstill.

I had a 95 Impala SS with over 200K miles. I went to the LM dealer in Langhorne and told him if his Marauder could beat my 8 year old Impala I would buy it. It wasn't even close. The LT1 left him like he was standing still.

So I waited for the Charger.

Now some guys have spent thousands of dollars to get their Marauders into the 13s with blowers and other crap. But about the only advantage it has over the Charger is a little more shouldder room and rear head room.

power wise?

***etaboutit

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Anyone ever went up against a 94 - 96 Impala SS or same years Caprice 9C1n cop car? These used to be the fastest 4-door sedans until now.

Jim
stock to stock a Charger R/T will smoke an Impala SS - at least after the first few hundred feet. The Impala used to jump off the line because of 330 lb-ft of torque at a low 2400rpm

·
Registered
550 Posts
Funny that you ask this. I'm on the highway one friday night coming back from the city and there is a Marauder right next to me. mI have my windows down and i'm just cruising at about 65. My buddy in the passenger seat is looking at him and i'm just tapping the gas trying to amp him up. Finally my buddy throws his hands up and he punches it before I do. Then I punch it, and at first I had him by about half a car. He has stock wheels and I have 24's keep in mind. Then by the time I hit 100-110 I started pulling hard. Nice race though. those cars are impressive. All it is is a Grand Marquis with a non-supercharged Cobra motor

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
if its stock, the R/T will blow it away
Not sure about the weight, but the Marauder is only around 300HP and the hemi should get it with no problem. Maruauder is out HPd by about 40 horses.

My wife has a 2001 Grand Marquis, similar to Marauder body. Very comfortable car with 165,000 miles and no problem.

Still take the Charger every time for myself.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Not sure about the weight, but the Marauder is only around 300HP and the hemi should get it with no problem. Maruauder is out HPd by about 40 horses.

My wife has a 2001 Grand Marquis, similar to Marauder body. Very comfortable car with 165,000 miles and no problem.

Still take the Charger every time for myself.
Weight is about the same but you miss the Marauder only has about 300lb-ft of torque moving the same weight that the Charger has 390/420

·
Premium Member
17,684 Posts
Just make sure you get the tranny upgrade as the trans seems to "hunt" for gear. The one I had was all over the map, going 65mph on the highway you could hear it shift from OD to 3rd to 4th back to 3rd and back to OD for no reason. When I was lurking on the Marauder forum, it seemed to be a normal problem...
Exactly why I didn't buy one. Test drove it and the tranny drove me nuts.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i work with a guy who has a 03' Marauder stock vs. stock he always saw my tail lights and at the track he ran a 10.5 to my 9.4...but after he dropped about $900 into his...he ran a 9.6 to my 9.3 with only my SLP LM1 installed(could of ran better but I hot lapped the car no cool down)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Since I have both a Marauder and a Charger, I'll weigh in here.

A stock Marauder is 302 hp and weights 4165 pounds, versus 350 hp and 4031 pounds for the Daytona. So the Daytona has a 33 hp advantage, and weighs about the same. The Marauder is geared lower than the Daytona, but has a 4-speed auto compared to the Daytona's 5-speed auto. Pretty much a toss-up, at least on paper. The Daytona WILL easily outrun the Marauder on top end. The Marauder is plaqued by Ford's crappy driveshaft, and is speed limited to about 120 mph.

The big plus to the Marauder is how easily they can be modded. Mine has 4.10 gears, a 3000 stall convertor, and a tune, and will eat my Daytona's lunch off the line. No contest at all. With the speed limiter eliminated with the tune, I've had my Marauder up to 125 in 3rd gear, but because of the driveshaft issues, I chose to back down.

To me, they are totally different cars, and that's why I own both. The Marauder reminds me of old-school American muscle. I have Borla mufflers on mine, and it sounds awesome. Since it's an older platform, it has more of an old-school American ride to it. It feels more like a '70s musclecar, in both driving and the way the interior sits. Plus, it's a little bit of a sleeper once you get past the chrome 18" wheels and big chrome exhaust pipes. I'm sure I've left several kids wondering how the hell the old guy in the Grand Marquis blew their doors off.

The Charger, on the other hand, reminds me more of a high-speed European touring car. It's very stable at speed, very comfortable on long trips, and is tighter and more solid than the Marauder. But, it's a 15-year newer platform. Unfortunately, it gets about 4 mpg less on the highway than the Marauder (stock).

I like both cars alot, for the different approaches they take to driving an American V8 RWD car. I would hate to give up either one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anyone ever went up against a 94 - 96 Impala SS or same years Caprice 9C1n cop car? These used to be the fastest 4-door sedans until now.

Jim
No they weren't. I used to kill them with my wife's Caddy STS. All the Caddy guys used to go to the street lergal drags just to pick on the Impalas.

Jay

·
Registered
24 Posts
stock to stock a Charger R/T will smoke an Impala SS - at least after the first few hundred feet. The Impala used to jump off the line because of 330 lb-ft of torque at a low 2400rpm
:confused: I raced 2 chargers 1 R/T & 1 Daytona. They both lost, my other car is a 96 caprice with the exact same engine as the impala ss. It is stock and so were the chargers.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
also just remember that a maruader is just a dressed up Ford Crown Victoria..your standard issue police cruiser in a fancy form :)

They're quick, powerful, and make a strong base for a sleeper car since it shares what is basically the same engine found in the Mustang GT (A 4.6L V8)

So to each is own, just remember a stock R/T would slaughter a stock Marauder

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.