Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine works at a Chevrolet dealer in town as a Sales Associate. He was telling me about the new 330hp Impala (its front wheel drive!!!!). Long story short, he wants to race one against my Dayotna. From what I have heard, the cars are roughly the same weight, so we should be fairly close in the 1/8 mile (measured out at the dealer in the back lot, marked and everything, no slips tho....). Depending on his schedule, I should be able to run him tonight........

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
It's 303hp, not 330.

You'd eat him alive, dude.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Good luck!! Make us proud :happy:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
i drove a new Impala SS at a GM autoshow in motion... It was my bro and I in the car, i was driving. They give you about 150 meters to gunnit, I didn't even give it WOT and all it did was spin the tires, pretty sad IMHO. Handling wasn't that great either from what i can remember, nothing compared to by brother's Magnum. You better brings some Tums incase the Impala doesn't agree with Charger's stomach.

The new Impala can't hold a candle to the LX platform, it gets beat in looks, power, and handling, I do admit though the interior wasn't bad though.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
read your manual these cars aren't supposed to be run on 93 octane, there have been several threads about it here and on lxforums.com, they run best on 89, those extra 4 octance points aren't going to help you

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Manris said:
read your manual these cars aren't supposed to be run on 93 octane, there have been several threads about it here and on lxforums.com, they run best on 89, those extra 4 octance points aren't going to help you
The octane rating decreases over time, in a matter of 1 week, 89 octane will be closer to 85 octane if it is not all used up. With a half a tank of gas, putting $10 worth of 93oct. ($2.95 a gallon) into gas that is over a week old, it will bring the octane of what is in my tank back up to 89-90.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
hmph.... i didn't know that... thanks for the learning! :happy:

even still regardless of what gas you'll be using you'll still be dropping d-ck on that impala

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Now just remember. That's a nice looking car you have there. Don't do anything stupid. For example, don't try literally driving circles around him while you're KICKING HIS A$$!

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a14umbra said:
Now just remember. That's a nice looking car you have there. Don't do anything stupid. For example, don't try literally driving circles around him while you're KICKING HIS A$$!

Sure, take ALL my fun away!!! I was thinkigng about driving in reverse and let him go forward :wink:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
that would be a sight to see... crazy_luck doin' donuts around the impala with his foot out the window kicking the ill-fated contender

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good luck man; tear it up! You should win handily!

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bstowers said:
I'm seeing varying reports putting it between 3500 and 3700 lbs.
My buddy at the dealer says the cars are about the same size and said the impala is about 4200 pounds (although Bob has been known to be incorect.... He knows more about Prowlers anyway www.realrod.com <-- his site)

If infact it is lighter, there could be a real close run here....

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Could come down to response time and traction.

Not worried. But, don't get c0cky...much.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Crazy_luck said:
The octane rating decreases over time, in a matter of 1 week, 89 octane will be closer to 85 octane if it is not all used up. With a half a tank of gas, putting $10 worth of 93oct. ($2.95 a gallon) into gas that is over a week old, it will bring the octane of what is in my tank back up to 89-90.
This is not true. My '66 Chrylser requires premium, and pings like a ***** without it. That car sometimes sits 6 months at a time and the octane of the gas (as evidenced by pinging or lack thereof) never deteriorates. (And that's not because the computer detects the lower octane and retards timing. :) )

·
Registered
89 Posts
From what I have heard the Impalas are a little quicker than the GXP, and they have been running 9.0 in the 1/8, which is quicker than any RT times I have see to date.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Motor trend says the Impala is 3500-3700 pounds. I'm guessing the SS is the heavier one. That said they say the SS can do 0-60 in like 5.7, but we all know that our car was tested at 5.9 and 14.1, but in the real world are doing 6.2 and 14.3 or so. I guess it all depends but you have to figure out if 37-47 horsepower makes up for a 300 difference. Maybe if danica patrick was drivinig instead of one of us it might be a more fair fight, but with the average guy at about 180plus or so It could make a difference. Idunno what the torque numbers are for the ss, but that would also be a big factory. Guess we have to wait until someone does a head to head.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts