Charger Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I love the Charger, I had a chance to see the upcoming Pontiac G8 at the Chicago Auto Show earlier this year. Though the exterior styling is a little muted compared to the Charger, the G8 touts some impressive numbers.

The 6.0L L76 engine produces 362 HP, incorporates MDS-Like ACM (Active Cylinder Management) for fuel economy, and offers a choice of either a 6-speed Auto or 6-speed Manual transmission.

With slightly more HP than the RT and Daytona, but with the option of the 6-speed manual it seems that the G8 will make a Charger work to keep up.

I realize that even suggesting this will anger the Chargerati, but I'm curious to learn what everyone thinks.

Rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Though I love the Charger, I had a chance to see the upcoming Pontiac G8 at the Chicago Auto Show earlier this year. Though the exterior styling is a little muted compared to the Charger, the G8 touts some impressive numbers.

The 6.0L L76 engine produces 362 HP, incorporates MDS-Like ACM (Active Cylinder Management) for fuel economy, and offers a choice of either a 6-speed Auto or 6-speed Manual transmission.

With slightly more HP than the RT and Daytona, but with the option of the 6-speed manual it seems that the G8 will make a Charger work to keep up.

I realize that even suggesting this will anger the Chargerati, but I'm curious to learn what everyone thinks.

Rob
another holden rebadge job is it not. Did not work with the GTO probably will not work with this sedan either. Retro is in and Pontiac needs to bring back names such as the Bonneville, Tempest, Firebird, and a real GTO. Then they are on their way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
another holden rebadge job is it not. Did not work with the GTO probably will not work with this sedan either. Retro is in and Pontiac needs to bring back names such as the Bonneville, Tempest, Firebird, and a real GTO. Then they are on their way.

Damn, will you shut up? And the charger is just a re-badged 300. Blah, Blah, Blah.

The G8 looks like a fun family car. I would take one over a Charger just to get my hands on that Manual Trans.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Damn, will you shut up? And the charger is just a re-badged 300. Blah, Blah, Blah.

The G8 looks like a fun family car. I would take one over a Charger just to get my hands on that Manual Trans.
Why don't you go to the GTO forums and talk about how great a car the GTO is. I had the general manger for one of the largest dealerships in the state tell me that the last generation GTO was a re badged mistake and he sold them. The charger is nothing like the 300 different body and different interior pieces. If you take so many cars over the charger then why did you buy one and why do you come here to post about POS pontiacs? Bob Lutz is an idiot and I am sure he thought bringing Holden cars over here was a great idea. Well guess what they will sell about as many G8s as they did Holden GTOs. Until the Camaro based GTO comes out and GM steps up to the plate with a real muscle contender then all else is crap.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i hate to admit it, but this time next year there will be many threads about our R/Ts losing to the G8s

·
Registered
171 Posts
A couple of the guys here have the GTOs and the one big problem they complain about is not being able to get parts. Apparently most are still in Australia or some nonsense.

I personally think Lutz is a putz. It was his decision to take the ONE division of GM (Saturn) that was making some money and had a loyal userbase and screw it up. I was on my third Saturn when they decided to go to Metal cars since they wanted to make them all common platforms in the GM family just like everything else.

Ick.

You have to wonder what goes on over there.

Not saying Dodge doesn't have their own issues... but it seems like GM is grasping these days. They have had to trim back so much of their line that there really is not much out there that interests a lot of people these days. At least most of the Mfg. are finally getting the idea that not everyone wants front wheel drive.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not saying Dodge doesn't have their own issues... but it seems like GM is grasping these days. They have had to trim back so much of their line that there really is not much out there that interests a lot of people these days. At least most of the Mfg. are finally getting the idea that not everyone wants front wheel drive.
You mean the GM that's actually making money now vs. Chrysler? Every new product they're coming out with is FAR superior to the previous gen with better reliability, power, and build quality.

I love my Charger, but people need to be a bit more realistic...GM is on the upswing.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Why don't you go to the GTO forums and talk about how great a car the GTO is. I had the general manger for one of the largest dealerships in the state tell me that the last generation GTO was a re badged mistake and he sold them. The charger is nothing like the 300 different body and different interior pieces. If you take so many cars over the charger then why did you buy one and why do you come here to post about POS pontiacs? Bob Lutz is an idiot and I am sure he thought bringing Holden cars over here was a great idea. Well guess what they will sell about as many G8s as they did Holden GTOs. Until the Camaro based GTO comes out and GM steps up to the plate with a real muscle contender then all else is crap.
you guys have some much hatred because your 4 door heavy porky car can not keep up with the gto, jesus get it over already!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A couple of the guys here have the GTOs and the one big problem they complain about is not being able to get parts. Apparently most are still in Australia or some nonsense.

I personally think Lutz is a putz. It was his decision to take the ONE division of GM (Saturn) that was making some money and had a loyal userbase and screw it up. I was on my third Saturn when they decided to go to Metal cars since they wanted to make them all common platforms in the GM family just like everything else.

Ick.

You have to wonder what goes on over there.

what you have heard it is true, the parts have to be shipped from australia so it would take more than a week to get something fixed. :lol:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No that is what my 240sx swapped sr20det is for. I am your huckleberry...:lol:
funny how it is, i can always used my dad's c6 z06 and blow your doors since he never use it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
i hate to admit it, but this time next year there will be many threads about our R/Ts losing to the G8s
Probably, so I'll vicariously through those that get the SRT Challengers. Stock, they'll beat any sub $50k car on the road (and the vast majority of those north of $50k as well). :)

I'm still surprised that GM is not dropping a 400-HP LS2 under the hood. Has anyone told them there's a HP war going on? They'll have an HP advantage on the Chargers for one year and then they'll get the new hemis and be pushing 400-HP themselves.

As for styling, the G8 looks decent, but not great like the Charger. After the GTO, I wouldn't expect Pontiac to go retro. They're going to stick to their guns for better or worse...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think the G8 will be a huge success. It's based on a freshly redesigned Holden which is a world class car. From what I've read it should be about 3800 lbs and about the size of an Impala. If it's priced right I think it'll do very well against the competition.

Yes, the G8 is a conservative design but with the sharp edges I think it'll fit in to the current 'look' better then the GTO did.

The other thing is the G8 comes in with a huge performance aftermarket form day one thanks to the GTO and Corvette.

How will it compare to the R/T? I think it'll beat it hands down in performance but will probably come in a little short on comfort and room.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Dang it! I really want to like the G8. I've always liked Pontiacs, but this thing's looks are just boring!

I guess if I was one of those guys who only cared about "My car can beat your car" I'd like it more, but for crying out loud I'm an adult now. I want more than just speed!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Probably, so I'll vicariously through those that get the SRT Challengers. Stock, they'll beat any sub $50k car on the road (and the vast majority of those north of $50k as well). :)

I'm still surprised that GM is not dropping a 400-HP LS2 under the hood. Has anyone told them there's a HP war going on? They'll have an HP advantage on the Chargers for one year and then they'll get the new hemis and be pushing 400-HP themselves.

As for styling, the G8 looks decent, but not great like the Charger. After the GTO, I wouldn't expect Pontiac to go retro. They're going to stick to their guns for better or worse...
i agree on that, the ls2 is being discontinue due to sick oil consumption and some others facts that i dont have handy. imao i dont think they want to put a stronger engine since the new camaro will be out right after the g8. the g8 is luxury sedan car just like the charger and that would be an apple to apple comparison rather than the gto. hopefully dodge will upgrade the 5.7 to be able to keep up with it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Will you quit bringing up 'my dads c6 zo6', you sound like your 10.
if you dont like, just skip it. It is my dad's car although i drive it 60% time since he is always out of town.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.