Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

This is an awesome site with a wealth of info I've enjoyed going through.
I've found a few threads regarding 87 octane, but didn't really notice any input from V6 owners.

Have any of you run 87 in your V6? and if so did you notice any difference from 89 like Dodge recommends?

The salespeople at the dealership told me they take 87 and I wouldn't have thought anymore about it, but I found out by reading online about 89 being the recommended grade...

·
Registered
16 Posts
V6 = 87
V8 = 87 or 89 (recommended is 89 octane though some have had better fuel mileage with 87)
V8 SRT = 91 minimum.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
the V6 has a compression ratio of 9.9:1 where the 5.7L V8 is sitting at 9.6:1
I would think that the V6 would be in need of a higher ocatne then the V8 would be.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have an SXT with the V6. Have been filling it with 89 most of the time. I have had an couple of occasions where I had to fill it with 87 and have not noticed any engine ping.

I'm not a gas or octane expert, but I do feel that the car has a bit better "pick-up" when it is running the higher octane. :happy:

·
Registered
58 Posts
JayR04 said:
v6 = 87? the owners manual says 89
Salespeople told me 87 when I asked the question, but recalled Chrysler 300C sales guy told me 89 for that engine. So went and checked the Dodge Charger web site and no indication of special octane requirements and couldn't download a manual from the owners link so I had been planning on asking to check the manual on a return visit. I know it may run OK with lesser octane, but the engineers have recommendations for a reason. I just want to know ahead of time before buying the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it seems like the engine should be able to adjust to whatever you put in it, it would suck if power and gas mileage took a hit though..
Guess the only way to know is to experiment, thought more people would have already :confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm actually running 87 right now and I really can't tell to much of a difference. I have only filled up once since I've had it though. I will try 89 next time I fill'er up. I'll let you know after.

·
Registered
37 Posts
StealthCharger said:
So I guess there's a chance it'd ping with 87?

If these cars have a knock sensor, you should'nt hear ping at all. It should retard the timing to prevent ping, which it turns hinders performance, but usually not by a noticeable amount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He basically said it's designed to run on 87 and that dodge just said 89 to get the best performance out of it..

Have any of you noticed that when pressing on the gas, it feels like you have to press down almost 1/2" before it gives enough power to move the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts