Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First wanted to say hello to the charger owners from Ontario Canada. Im in the market for a muscle car but he's my problem. Growing up I bought nothing but chevy's but i love all muscle cars i enjoy them all. I would love to buy the new camaro or the challenger but with 3 kids and a wife um houston we have a problem not enough seats to go around. Talking to my buddies they all say the charger is perfect for you its got the muscle car flavour u want plus the room for your family. I guess what im asking any of you use your SRT8 all year round with a family and how is it. Is this a good family car or still one of those cars u just play with on weekends while its under a cover during the week. Also wanted to ask how is the driver shift mode is it fun to use or one of the options you hardly use as i do really like manuals but am open to this option. This will be my daily driver as my drive to work is like 4 miles away so i dont want a beater for winter. Ive been tortured with a 99 grand am for 10 years with 143k kms i think ive earned this type of car. Thoughts opinions would be great thanks.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a 2006 Daytona R/T and have two kids. We pack 'em in and hit the road a couple of times a year. Child seats snap right in and there is room between for Mom if necessary. If your kids are really young, you can't go wrong with the rear entertainment (DVD) player. It'll keep em occupied. Only issue I have with the child seats is pulling them out to clean her up! Plenty of room and power.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have had an SRT8 Magnum for over two years. Great everyday driver and has plenty of room for luggage and coolers when we go on a trip. The only issue I've had is a flat tire on a weekend trip. Can't get replacement tires on the road on a Sunday and no spare. You would not have that problem with an RT, and the 09's are up to 370HP!

·
Registered
722 Posts
My kids are grown but lots of grand kids have taken their place. Car seats are a snap and my wife drives our R/T all winter. for a car nut it's the best family car you can ask for.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
My kids are grown but lots of grand kids have taken their place. Car seats are a snap and my wife drives our R/T all winter. for a car nut it's the best family car you can ask for.
I've had no trouble at all with one car seat and one booster seat in the back as well as the load of gear that comes along with a day (or three) out with the kids. The Charger is a LOT bigger inside than most people think.

Best,

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
I can fit three car seats in back and I drive it all winter. Get snow tires. I do drive the wife's suv on really bad days but still a very effective daily driver.

·
Registered
115 Posts
First wanted to say hello to the charger owners from Ontario Canada. Im in the market for a muscle car but he's my problem. Growing up I bought nothing but chevy's but i love all muscle cars i enjoy them all. I would love to buy the new camaro or the challenger but with 3 kids and a wife um houston we have a problem not enough seats to go around. Talking to my buddies they all say the charger is perfect for you its got the muscle car flavour u want plus the room for your family. I guess what im asking any of you use your SRT8 all year round with a family and how is it. Is this a good family car or still one of those cars u just play with on weekends while its under a cover during the week. Also wanted to ask how is the driver shift mode is it fun to use or one of the options you hardly use as i do really like manuals but am open to this option. This will be my daily driver as my drive to work is like 4 miles away so i dont want a beater for winter. Ive been tortured with a 99 grand am for 10 years with 143k kms i think ive earned this type of car. Thoughts opinions would be great thanks.:)
Where are you in Ontario? I'm in Ottawa and I have seen a couple 300 srt8's on the road in the winter but I gotta say I wouldnt trust it on a cold canadain morning. There is no block heater on it so when its -40ish out the starter sounds like its gonna shoot through the hood of the car. I put mine away in the winter and anyone else I know with and srt up here does the same. But like the other post said it can be done with some good tires, and light foot. Or go for the Jeep srt8, I'm sure you would have just as much fun with that :D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I haul both kids(teenagers) and wife with everyone very comfortable. also easy to fit Grandbay's car seat. plus still tons of power when cruising with buddies or by myself... good all around car for you and the family...

·
Registered
391 Posts
The weatherman was full of **** one Winter morning here in IL and it started snowing on me on the way to work with my SRT. I turned around and went home and got the Intrepid.

No good and no fun in the snow (not to mention all of the salt they throw on the roads here) for me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 06 Daytona with mods and kids. The 7 year old loves the car and a burnout here and there, maybe a little rear end slide. The 1 year old seems to like it also. I was in the same boat you are in .... wanted rear drive, v8 and had kids. It is almost a perfect fun family car with not much competition that is affordable.

Get the car......

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you in Ontario? I'm in Ottawa and I have seen a couple 300 srt8's on the road in the winter but I gotta say I wouldnt trust it on a cold canadain morning. There is no block heater on it so when its -40ish out the starter sounds like its gonna shoot through the hood of the car. I put mine away in the winter and anyone else I know with and srt up here does the same. But like the other post said it can be done with some good tires, and light foot. Or go for the Jeep srt8, I'm sure you would have just as much fun with that :D
Woodstock area ;o)

·
Registered
80 Posts
the charger is the perfect family car IMO. has way more room than any other sedan i have ever ridden in and it has the style and look of a muscle car that you want. i live in the deep south so it doesnt ever snow (sadly :( ) so it does great during the winters lol

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
About the heater block - I believe the Charger SRT8 might come with a heater block option (could be wrong). As for handling in the snow, it is definitely NOT a snowmobile but it can do nicely in snow under 4" with the right tires. Anything over that and the front splitter becomes a snowplow.
Other than snow restrictions, it would be a very fine family car. 5-star frontal crash ratings, lotsa room, side airbags, good heavy 4 door sedan.
With 425 hp. :banana:
Bring the family to the track and do 13 second 1/4 miles....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This is the Perfrect car for you! It's everythign you want all wrapped up into one! I have 3 myself. It has more rear seat room than my Intrigue & Explorer. The 4 miles you drive would be a Big temptation for you. Nice & short with plenty of Punch! Look into an AWD if you want all year round. I put mine up for the winter, but there'sa lot of members who drive them all year long.

Good Luck! Now go get your Family Friendly Muscle car .

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Charger R&T was horrible in the snow (mostly due to the performance tires and 20" rims), so I upgraded to a Jeep SRT8. It is quicker than the Charger, due to it's AWD. It is smaller inside and sucks more fuel though.

Depending how old your kid's are this might be a consideration. I am sure the Charger handles slightly better due to it's lower center of gravity, but the Jeep handles awesome and even better than my Trans Am.:driving:

EDIT: I will add the Charger is a much better road trip vehicle. When I took my last road trip I took the Charger over the Jeep for the following reasons. It is bigger (both for passengers and luggage), rides better and gets much better fuel economy.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The SRT8 is a great family car and very enjoyable to drive...especially heavily modified. I have 2 car seats in the back of mine and is my daily driver. The only issue I have with the car is trying to drive it in the snow. With all my mods and no snow tires...its a handful and is better left at home. With snow tires, it might be ok though. All the Chargers come with the Autostick and for me, I use it all the time. Car is much more enjoyable and you can control where it shifts at and keeps the rev's higher. In Drive, the car will always be chugging along in very low rpms...which I hate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had an SRT-8 Charger as a family car. Took my 3-year-old twins to/from day care in it and did several long road trips. It is a GREAT family car. I live in Phoenix, so I can't comment on the snow capabilities.

I will throw this out there, though. Sounds like you'd really like a stick shift. May I suggest the Caliber SRT-4? I just traded in my Charger because I missed shifting, and there are some crazy deals right now on leftover 2008 Caliber SRT-4s. I just bought one for $16,999 (sticker was $25,660). The SRT-4 Caliber is almost as quick as an SRT-8 Charger, and for a $400 PCM upgrade it is as quick or quicker. Between the monthly payment, gas and insurance, my monthly car expenditure is now less than half of what it was in the Charger. And I got a brand new car. The front-wheel drive might serve you better in the snow, also.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had an SRT-8 Charger as a family car. Took my 3-year-old twins to/from day care in it and did several long road trips. It is a GREAT family car. I live in Phoenix, so I can't comment on the snow capabilities.

I will throw this out there, though. Sounds like you'd really like a stick shift. May I suggest the Caliber SRT-4? I just traded in my Charger because I missed shifting, and there are some crazy deals right now on leftover 2008 Caliber SRT-4s. I just bought one for $16,999 (sticker was $25,660). The SRT-4 Caliber is almost as quick as an SRT-8 Charger, and for a $400 PCM upgrade it is as quick or quicker. Between the monthly payment, gas and insurance, my monthly car expenditure is now less than half of what it was in the Charger. And I got a brand new car. The front-wheel drive might serve you better in the snow, also.
Love the SRT-4 i park beside one at work but with 3 kids too small imo but love the fact its stick. Im 90% sure the charger will be the car for me only thing i wish it had was stick but auto stick is fine wife hates manual anyways so its best of both worlds. I talked to a dealer today about new ones there's not much out there used there are options but still arent great being in canada. Trying to get a 07 bee which is prob my fav is near impossible. Im in no hurry so im taking my time looking around.

·
Super Moderator
11,600 Posts
I say go for it.

I didn't get the SRT mainly for financial reasons, but winter driving was a concern for me, I will admit.

But it shouldn't be. Not at all.

Put some snow tires on it and it will be fine.

I put some very aggressive snows on my R&T last winter and I drove through a blizzard no problem, easily passing people that were stuck, crashed, ditched, etc.

-=FLEX=-

PS: Welcome to the forums.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts