Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a few other forums, members have been asking how much to cut off the plastic intake ends that stick through the hood liner openings. The DC Sports Strut tower bar fits the 300 and Magnum SRT's with no modification to the underside of the hoods.

The Charger SRT hoods do not close with the strut tower bar installed. The plastic hood intake sticks out to far and hits the strut bar before the hood can close.

SRT8U was one of the first ones to install the strut bar on the Charger SRT's. My strut bar should be coming back from the powder coaters soon, for my Super Bee. So I wanted to have the plastic hood intake trimmed and re-installed, before the strut bar arrives.

I sent SRT8U a PM asking how much he trimmed off of his plastic hood intake. He replied that I need to cut off the plastic part of the intake (that sticks through the opening of the hood liner) so it sits behind the hood liner openings.

Before I removed the hood liner and the plastic hood intake. I pushed up on the hood liner, near each intake hole. Then took a red sharpie pen and traced my cut line for the plastic intake. Then I removed the hood liner and plastic intake. I used a dremel tool to cut a starter line on the trace line. Then I used a utility knife to cut along the starter line. Then finished it off with some light sanding.

Passenger side.

Driver side.

Hood liner and plastic intake re-installed. Now the hood liner is the lowest part of the underside of the hood. The plastic intake has been trimmed back behind each hole, in the hood liner.

Here is a photo before I trimmed the plastic intake back behind the hood liner. You can see how much the plastic intake used to stick through the hood liner openings.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Can you fee a difference with the bar in place?

I wouldn't think there is a lot to gain. The platform is a lot stronger than a Fox body Stang

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you fee a difference with the bar in place?

I wouldn't think there is a lot to gain. The platform is a lot stronger than a Fox body Stang
I only have the bar installed on my MagnumSRT. I can tell you in the corners the wagon handles much better, no body roll. Eventhough the LX's already come with a stock bar (hidden under the front of the wiper cowl. I got the DC strut tower bar mostly for looks.

Here is the strut bar installed on my MagSRT.

Each end fit perfectly.

Close, but it cleared the top of the intake manifold.

I do not have the hood rubbing the strut bar issue with the aftermarket hood, on my Magnum. Plenty of room on the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Is there any reason to run the hood liner? I have to trim my ducts to install my bar and I haven't done it yet. But i thought about not reinstalling the liner. Anyone have pics of a SRT8 hood without liner?

Just curious why did you get rid of your magnum and 300C?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Thanks for that writeup.

I installed mine and noticed the hood problem. Didn't have time to find a solution, so the strut bar has been sitting in the garage for about two months. I'll give the plastic trimming a try and see how it goes.

FYI, the strut brace will not reduce body roll, that is not what a strut brace is designed to do. The only way to reduce body roll is by changing suspension components like springs and larger sway bars.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I've read feedback from a couple of guys that swear by the strut bar.

My question is this: Will it clear the SRT-8 manifold WITH the spacer installed?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any reason to run the hood liner? I have to trim my ducts to install my bar and I haven't done it yet. But i thought about not reinstalling the liner. Anyone have pics of a SRT8 hood without liner?

Just curious why did you get rid of your magnum and 300C?
You will be left with only the plastic hood intake without the hood liner installed. IMO, it looks better with the hood liner installed with the plastic intake.

Don't know if your last question is for me. I still have my Super Bee and Magnum. Only sold my 300SRT.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My question is this: Will it clear the SRT-8 manifold WITH the spacer installed?
Do you mean the Billet Tech intake spacers? Don't know if the strut bar will fit once those are installed. I am supposed to be getting a set from BT after they have tested the spacers more.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hey Freebird I didn't know if you sold your maggie or not I just assumed so.

OK I trimmed the intake scoops and I went to close the hood and it felt like it was hitting. So we grabbed a light and its still hitting but it will close. So I wasn't feeling comfortable with it hitting it or touching while it was closed so I decided to take the bar out. We trimmed off the scoops until they were flush with the lowest part of the intake scoop and it still hits and would be rubbing constantly while closed. It looks like its actually bulging the hood a little bit too. So if anyone with an SRT8 charger is comfortable with that go ahead and buy up the strut bar, I didn't feel comfortable with that, so Im going to sell this to someone else. Thats my $.02

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Hey Freebird I didn't know if you sold your maggie or not I just assumed so.

OK I trimmed the intake scoops and I went to close the hood and it felt like it was hitting. So we grabbed a light and its still hitting but it will close. So I wasn't feeling comfortable with it hitting it or touching while it was closed so I decided to take the bar out. We trimmed off the scoops until they were flush with the lowest part of the intake scoop and it still hits and would be rubbing constantly while closed. It looks like its actually bulging the hood a little bit too. So if anyone with an SRT8 charger is comfortable with that go ahead and buy up the strut bar, I didn't feel comfortable with that, so Im going to sell this to someone else. Thats my $.02
How can you tell with a light??

The best way to tell is to put play-dough on the bar, close the hood and the torque the motor with a brake torque. Open the hood and check the play-dough.

I might be interested in buying your bar. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
How can you tell with a light??

The best way to tell is to put play-dough on the bar, close the hood and the torque the motor with a brake torque. Open the hood and check the play-dough.

I might be interested in buying your bar. Let me know.
Well when I was holding the hood at its lowest point my friend was shining a light on the side. I had probably 4 inches left before the hood closed and the scoops were about 1 inch above the bar. So that tells me that it hits and sits on the bar the entire time. I dunno if its a scientific way but makes sense to me... unless things shrink and change shape after the hood closes.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Do you have to get the front end realigned after installing the bar - I might be interested.

Scott

·
Registered
731 Posts

What air intake is that? Looks great!

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Do you have to get the front end realigned after installing the bar - I might be interested.

Scott
You shouldn't have to. The bar doesn't mess with the suspension geometry at all, only makes the chassis stiffer in the front.

For what it's worth, I did notice that the bar will rub on the hood liner, at least on my SRT, so I may not install mine after all. :(

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
You guys say it "Rubs" on the Charger SRT8 Hood liner
But does it push the hood up causing alignment problems with the hood fit?
So what if it just touches, the hood is not moving nor is the bar right?
It's not like engine movement, the bar and hood should not be moving when the hood is closed.

Can we get some straight answers on this, I'm looking to get one for my SRT8, but if it distorts the hood, then I won't.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
You guys say it "Rubs" on the Charger SRT8 Hood liner
But does it push the hood up causing alignment problems with the hood fit?
So what if it just touches, the hood is not moving nor is the bar right?
It's not like engine movement, the bar and hood should not be moving when the hood is closed.

Can we get some straight answers on this, I'm looking to get one for my SRT8, but if it distorts the hood, then I won't.
Straight answer: Yes, it made my hood bulge horribly.

My assumption at this point is that if the plastic intake part is shaved as described above, that should take care of the bulge issue. I personally have not done this to my intake, but plan on doing it this weekend.

Under load like heavy turning (like autocross or open track), the bar could move some, but not much, due to chassis flex. That could cause the painted surface on the bar to wear at the contact point(s). Other than that, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Thanks KYChargerSRT8!! let us know how the shaving works out for you!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Straight answer: Yes, it made my hood bulge horribly.

My assumption at this point is that if the plastic intake part is shaved as described above, that should take care of the bulge issue. I personally have not done this to my intake, but plan on doing it this weekend.

Under load like heavy turning (like autocross or open track), the bar could move some, but not much, due to chassis flex. That could cause the painted surface on the bar to wear at the contact point(s). Other than that, it should be fine.
Shaving did not help me, I shaved the part that turns down toward the motor flush with the lowest part of the scoop and it still hits. As I said I had 4 inches of travel before closing the hood and there was only 1 inch left between the scoop and bar. I did get it to close but it felt like I had to slam it much harder than before to close the hood and that made me nervous since I didn't want to ruin my hood! My only option would be to remove the under hood scoop completely which I didn't want to do.

Also for those that dont think it will move, things are always moving ever so slightly under normal driving conditions. When I go over semi large road expansions I can see my hood scoop bounce up and down slightly. And knowing that the scoop is pushed against the bar and potentially bulging my hood didn't sit comfortably with me. But thats me, im anal as hell.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts