Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've really enjoyed reading these forums and I'm thinking about taking the dive and getting a Charger within the next week or two. I just graduated so I have a modest budget so I am looking at getting an SE.

Has anyone bought a blue Charger yet? I've seen a lot of pictures up on the site, but none of the blue ones, I haven't even seen any comments about it. While the Charger does not have many colors to offer, I think that the "Midnight Blue" is quite stylish.

Also any SE owners out there, do you feel that the SE has enough power...I know its no hemi, but is it still in a muscle car with an SE or just another sluggish sedan?

Does anyone know the level of customization that I could get on the base SE. I am primarily interested in the upgraded speakers and perhaps a sunroof, and I believe that I can get those two upgrades without committing to any groups and without the SXT package. If I factory order, is there anyway I could get rear folding seats without the SXT package? What about leather seats?

Anyway, I look forward to some of your input.Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi R33T,

My current car is an atlantic blue 1999 Mustang. It's a medium blue, not light, not dark, but a very bold, striking color. I think Ford is calling it "sonic blue" now, maybe a nod to Sonic the Hedgehog? I'd say that's a pretty good comparison. Anyway, when I found out about the Charger, I was pretty sure I wanted it in blue, and the local dealer had a midnight blue Charger, so I checked it out.

I don't know what you're looking for, but it's a very, very dark blue. To me, it almost has a slight indigo/purple component, kind of like the dark blue/purple that some of the VW cars come in, maybe a bit darker and maybe a bit less purple. I immediately didn't like it, but it was a gray day outside, and the car was dirty, so I decided to come back another day.

By then, they'd moved it into the showroom. Under the showroom lights, it looked a bit brighter, but still not a very "edgy" color. To me, way too dark and bland, but certainly a classy color... I guess I'm kind of spoiled coming from such a bright blue, but I couldn't force myself to fall in love with it. I ended up going with silver steel for mine, which is also not an incredibly bold color, but I think it works better for the Charger's style, I think of the midnight blue/purple color as an Audi A4 / Passat color.

I didn't test drive the SE, but I did test drive the SXT, with the same engine. It is definitely NOT your average sluggish sedan. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other sedans anywhere close to the SE's price range that will keep up, and the list of similarly-priced coups that'll do it is probably small, too. In fact, I am almost certain the SE and SXT would annihilate my V6 Mustang, and probably today's V6 Mustangs as well.

Trust me, you'll enjoy the SE's power. For your first car after graduation, I don't think you can do any better for the price.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Does the SE have the same HO V6 that's in the SXT? Isn't there another nerfed version that will be available to rental fleets?

·
Registered
153 Posts
epoch:

Yeah, the fleets will get a neutered version, but the standard SE gets the very capable 3.5L V6 found in the SXT. Very wise move on Dodge's part, doing so gives the whole model more credibility.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony,

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate your input. Depending on availability, I am going to go ahead and buy a Blue SE this week. I went and took another look, I really liked the Blue, Black, and Silver...but I really thought the Blue stood out. The silver seemed to remind me of every other car I see out on the market and the black is menacing and awesome but would require a lot of maintenance with respect to dirt. Anyway thanks for your advice and I can't wait to join the club!

·
Registered
8 Posts
R33T said:
Tony,

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate your input. Depending on availability, I am going to go ahead and buy a Blue SE this week. I went and took another look, I really liked the Blue, Black, and Silver...but I really thought the Blue stood out. The silver seemed to remind me of every other car I see out on the market and the black is menacing and awesome but would require a lot of maintenance with respect to dirt. Anyway thanks for your advice and I can't wait to join the club!
Pretty sure you can't get the sunroof on an SE with the price of the SXT might be better off with a good quality aftermarket roof.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
the build and price on dodge's website says the only option is the protection group at 595 bucks, a convience package with a power seat and adjustable pedals shows as a no cost option...that keeps the price below $24k, a really good bargain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts