Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that the Charger SE 2.7L V6 (fleet package) comes factory without ESP or traction control (they are optional on the fleets and standard on Canadian SE packages). If so, then the SE would be a great stripper model to work with ands strip the motor and instal a 5.7L crate motor Hemi (rated at 360hp/360tq before accessories) or a 6.1L if they become available as crate motors.

With this setup one doesn't have to worry about effectively defeating the traction/electronic stability gear as they are non-existent in the first place not to mention even lighter as a result. OK, so the Charger is to new to consider this mod today as a common and cool thing to do but years down the road this set up would be a cool used buy and where warranties are gone.

This would appeal to pro street crowds mostly I think as one would also have to beef up the handling from V6 spec.

One can also think, why not throw in a 6.5L 406cid LA-series small block stroker motor in instead with Edelbrock fuel injection and that new Quaife LSD set up. Hmmmmm, tasty.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
ok that is a ton of work just to get by the esp and traction control...damn, it hurts to think about it....but if you are going to do it....why not the srt8 6.1????? mmmmmmm..........but then why would you need the se platform.....so just buy an srt8 or get an se and put srt8 6.1 engine in.....ok my head hurts....just buy srt8...lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
- The fleet cars are not "SE" models. Besides the 2.7L V6, the fleet cars are supposed to have a standard 4 speed automatic transmission.

- The "SE" is a non-Fleet car and has the 5 speed auto stick (mercedes "wa580a" - or whatever it is) transmission, which has ESP - I don't believe the ESP is integrated directly into the transmission - it just monitors wheel steer, and torque which is controled that at the engine, plus it performs wheel braking to reduce wheel spin.

Though, on the other hand, there is some sort of "slip" control that is still present when you turn off the ESP - and that probably uses the same ESP system.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SE in Canada comes with the 4spd auto only with the 2.7 only as specified in the Canadian brouchure.

I have this info on the SE Fleet package for the U.S. (U.S. data):

Dodge Will Offer Fleet-Only Charger for 2006-Model YearMay 31, 2005AUBURN HILLS, MI — Dodge will offer a fleet version of the 2006 Charger. The fleet-only Charger will be equipped with a 2.7-liter V-6 and a four-speed automatic transmission, compared to the 3.5L V-6, five-speed automatic in the retail base model, the Charger SE. Stability control, traction control, and antilock brakes are optional on the fleet model, standard on the SE.Fleet business, including police car sales, could account for as much as 25 percent of Charger sales in the U.S., according to Chrysler Group.ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2005 Automotive Fleet Magazine

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
SO your looking at both an engine and a trans swap. I'll bet that 4 speed wont handle a Hemis power. And of course the diff, and the maybe the axles. And of course the electrical nightmare of making all this work together.

I'm sure someone will do this, but it looks like a huge money pit to me:)

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Fleet sales are a huge mistake

They cheapen the image of the car and kill resale. If they have extra plant capacity they should have made the Challenger

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GLHS837: Why the A518 Torqueflite 4spd auto O/D ofcourse with Stage II shift kit and a 6.6L LA-series stroker crate motor with Chrysler specific Edelbrock fuel injection. The cool thing is that it would also incorporate the classic Chrysler starter gear motor. The electrical mess will be configured with help from Hughes Electronics and Howell electronics.

The diff will be a Quaife setup. The car will be white and the wheels Police spec Magnum/Charger dog dish.

I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
So, I'm guessing what, maybe 6K or so for the motor, maybe more.
another 2500 for the trans. Another 2600 for the f/i system

Your at 11K so far, and have not even touched on fabrication to make all this fit. Silly stuff like power steering, alternator, cooling systems interface do add up. And now, you still are going to either buy the SRT-8 entire rear setup, differential and axles. We'll ignore the driveshaft, thats in the noise.

Depending on what your cost is for the fleet car, your talking real money.

I'm not saying this wont be done. I'm sure it will. But it wont be easy, and it most certainly wont be cheap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The motor, yes, would cost about that from Dodge however the trans can be had straight out of a 98-04 Dakota R/T. In fact the Dakota motor could be used too and rebuilt with the new stroker crank from Dodge to make the magic 406 displacement. In fact, Hughes Performance Transmissions and Howell or Painless wiring harnesses may not be so needed as the trans and motor are designed to run together. OBDII compliance is no problem either as the 98-04 R/T Dakotas were OBDII. As far as emmisions in places like California, their I/M program suggests that you may run a motor that came as an option in that car. Since the Hemi did and the LA-406 is essentially a Hemi with wedge heads, a bit of paper work and bureacratic diplomatic intevention shoud seal the issue.

This is alot easier than my original idea of converting a 93-04 Dodge Intrepid LH to original Chrysler corp LX spec by employing an Audi 100/5000 ZF All Wheel Drive system as used by Chrysler in the early 90's to study rear wheel drive on 4 LX car mules which were 4 Eagle Premiers witht he ZF transaxle and 360 V8s. Many of you have seen these prototypes on the TV show Viper where 4 Premiers were destroyed in an early episode; they had funny rear wheel wells 6 inches further back than normal. The Viper's rear brake design was copied from the Eagle Premier by the way which was based on Renault 25 architecture and had AMC Patented torsion bar design. The Premier was the basis for the 93-04 LH cars (Intrepid's etc). So the Intrepid can be made to RWD with the ZF and only the V8 would have trouble fitting under the aerodynamic hoods however a GM LS2 would fit just fine (see any similarities between a 98-02 Camaro hood and a 98-04 Concorde hood?).

What would prove to be a real challenge is to have designed new longer front fenders and rear quarters (something the 300C deperately needs) to make the Dodge sedan match the dimensions of the 75-78 Dodge/Plymouth B-Body 4dr car. That's where the money in CAD/CAM development by someone like Cogiolla in Italy who fabricate prototypes for car manufacturers would be needed. They have made sedans out of Hummer H1s, very interesting.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
GLHS837 said:
So, I'm guessing what, maybe 6K or so for the motor, maybe more.
another 2500 for the trans. Another 2600 for the f/i system

Your at 11K so far, and have not even touched on fabrication to make all this fit. Silly stuff like power steering, alternator, cooling systems interface do add up. And now, you still are going to either buy the SRT-8 entire rear setup, differential and axles. We'll ignore the driveshaft, thats in the noise.

Depending on what your cost is for the fleet car, your talking real money.

I'm not saying this wont be done. I'm sure it will. But it wont be easy, and it most certainly wont be cheap.

this would qualifiy as the biggest mod yet on our engines for this forum....but man the money going into it....the srt8 just seems like a better deal.....i think glhs is being generous in his cost analysis on this change over!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts