Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be useful to compile a list of rumors/leaks that we've all picked up about my next car - the upcoming Charger SRT-8.

Here's what I've got so far (confirm or deny as you can):

- summer '05 intro (possible '06 intro for PVO version)
- 6.1L Hemi (possibly blown)
- Tremec T56 trans (same as in Viper)
- two doors (although four doors may still be in consideration)
- styling is a mix of the current Viper SRT-10/'99 Charger concept/Magnum wagon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
391 Posts
MoparMan said:
I thought it might be useful to compile a list of rumors/leaks that we've all picked up about my next car - the upcoming Charger SRT-8.

Here's what I've got so far (confirm or deny as you can):

- summer '05 intro (possible '06 intro for PVO version)
- 6.1L Hemi (possibly blown)
- Tremec T56 trans (same as in Viper)
- two doors (although four doors may still be in consideration)
- styling is a mix of the current Viper SRT-10/'99 Charger concept/Magnum wagon
I've heard the same things as you, I definetly think the 2 door version looks better then the 4 door version.

The "trademark" photos show the 2 door sketch, and that is what the car should look like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ekool said:
I've heard the same things as you, I definetly think the 2 door version looks better then the 4 door version.

The "trademark" photos show the 2 door sketch, and that is what the car should look like.
Exactly. The patent was applied for with both two and four door drawings. The car was originally a two door concept until someone in management told them to change it to a four door. In fact, I had the files patent files you have posted(minus the photo of the concept in the corner of each) - I even saved them under the names you're using - hosted on my website for a long time. I pulled them off a copy of the patent app long ago and put them up for others to see. There are also drawings of the Charger's front and rear views...let me know if you want a copy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
391 Posts
MoparMan said:
Exactly. The patent was applied for with both two and four door drawings. The car was originally a two door concept until someone in management told them to change it to a four door. In fact, I had the files patent files you have posted(minus the photo of the concept in the corner of each) - I even saved them under the names you're using - hosted on my website for a long time. I pulled them off a copy of the patent app long ago and put them up for others to see. There are also drawings of the Charger's front and rear views...let me know if you want a copy.
Post them up in the picture post section. I watermarked the images I posted so that if they get linked anywhere, we might be able to get some more people interested in the forums here.

Post what you have, they wont be watermarked if you post them :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done. I've alos got copies of shots that other people took of the concept at various car shows. I could post them but I'm not sure about any legalities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
MoparMan said:
I thought it might be useful to compile a list of rumors/leaks that we've all picked up about my next car - the upcoming Charger SRT-8.

Here's what I've got so far (confirm or deny as you can):

- summer '05 intro (possible '06 intro for PVO version)
- 6.1L Hemi (possibly blown)
- Tremec T56 trans (same as in Viper)
- two doors (although four doors may still be in consideration)
- styling is a mix of the current Viper SRT-10/'99 Charger concept/Magnum wagon

Correct.

Remember, the first Charger or Sedan will appear in the spring time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hemidakota said:
Correct.

Remember, the first Charger or Sedan will appear in the spring time.
Are you saying this spring or spring '05?

I think Chrysler's got something big coming for us this show season - maybe even at Daytona. For starters, they're having the VCA members that get to buy the special blue and white Viper club Ram SRT-10's pick up their trucks at a special ceremony at the race. It's not that far of a stretch to think they'll debut next year's NASCAR body - which is supposed to be the Charger. At this point in time it's hard to believe they don't have the sheet metal for the car just about finalized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I really dont think DC has any ideal how many Chargers there going to sell .If they did they would move it to the top of the list in priority and would have started promoting it by now or at least acknowledged its existents . :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
I think that they are waiting to see the market results from the GTO. The first 6000 or so GTOs are on the boat as we speak from Australia. DCX will, no doubt, guage and compensate for the typical response of "it's not built in the USA" comments which would affect initial GTO orders. GM is ready to proceed with an American made GTO (either a Sigma or a new world VE-platform (said to be a combo of Sigma and Aussie technology) if the market dictates that more GTOs would have been sold that way.

DCX may come out with a slogan "Made in the USA: Charger" around the Summer of 2004 to grab all the dissapointed GTO owners or potential owners. Then ofcourse the GTO will get the RAM AIRs and so forth and DCX will probably hold ground with whatever they come out with until a new USA-built GTO comes and then the Charger may have to dawn more power or something.

It should be fun times.

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Hi! I've been lurking on the SRT and Allpar forums for the last 4-5 months following the possibility of this car being made but this is the first time I've registered to talk about it.

I've got a couple of questions answers can be purely speculative for all I care.

1)What car are they targetting this at? Are they going after the Mustang GT and possible future Camaro? Or are they going to go after the new Cobra(which would put it dangerously close to the C6 vette and possibly the Viper if all the rumors are true). Or is this going to be(heaven forbid) another new GTO(midsized sedan with a big engine with a big price tag).

2)Will this be a definate Dodge label or will it be Chrysler?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Chargers historically have always been mid-sizers and not pony cars (like the Mustang or Camaro). Since the Charger will be based on the LX-car (300C/Magnum) it is likely to be in the historic category. Mind you the LX-car is considered full-size now. Funny since the LX replaces the LH and the LH pretty much replaced the K-car which was mid-size at best if not smaller. Chrysler had the LHS as a full size version and the LH cars were all pretty big except the 300M which was designed for Europe spec. These new LXs thus far are the same size (if not smaller) of the 300M so times have changed.

These are interesting times though, so the Charger would still compete with the Mustang anyway as well as the GTO and the sizes and weight really wouldn't be THAT diferent.

We can't have all sized filled at all companies yet or it would be 1973 all over again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
MoparG said:
Chargers historically have always been mid-sizers and not pony cars (like the Mustang or Camaro). Since the Charger will be based on the LX-car (300C/Magnum) it is likely to be in the historic category. Mind you the LX-car is considered full-size now. Funny since the LX replaces the LH and the LH pretty much replaced the K-car which was mid-size at best if not smaller. Chrysler had the LHS as a full size version and the LH cars were all pretty big except the 300M which was designed for Europe spec. These new LXs thus far are the same size (if not smaller) of the 300M so times have changed.

These are interesting times though, so the Charger would still compete with the Mustang anyway as well as the GTO and the sizes and weight really wouldn't be THAT diferent.

We can't have all sized filled at all companies yet or it would be 1973 all over again.
Well the size and weight of the new Stang is likely to best less than the GTO. I mean rumors for the new Stang have the weight at possibly as low as 3100 or so lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hey - as a former '70 383 Charger owner (my first car) this is at the top of my interest list. My first post might as well be this: Info I found off of the motor trend website:

2006 Dodge Charger: Rear-drive sedan will replace the cab-forward Intrepid. The Charger is expected to offer 3.7L V-6 and 4.7L V-8 engine option, with the Charger R/T featuring the 5.7L Hemi V-8.

It's from their 2006 future vehicle forecast, there is nothing for 2005. It seems pretty believable, considering the original chargers had the 318, 383 and 440, as well as the 426 Hemi. So, the 3 engine options all seem to be pretty real. I don't know much about the 6.1L Hemi, but if anyone has anymore info, please, PASS IT ON!!!

Thanks for my 2 bits-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the most part that info may be accurate, but I've been told that all R/Ts will be dissappearing to be replaced by SRT-x's (in this case SRT-8) From what I've heard, the Charger SRT-8 will feature the 6.1L Hemi which is currently generating 425 HP / 440 LB-FT in normally aspirated form. There have also been rumors of a blown 6.1 going into the Charger SRT-8. Supposedly, this engine is generating around 600 HP.

I don't think we'll find out much more information until the show circuit starting in January.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
My only concern is this: For the 6.1L to be generating such high numbers, which are much higher than a Corvette Z06, what are we going to be paying for such HEMI power? Relative to the Z06? (~50K) Or even more? I mean, the way things are going, the 30K mark seems to be where most power vehicles these days are landing....the new GTO, Mustangs (Ugh), and even the Japanese side with the Evo and WRX STi. I could honestly give a hoot about the rest of those cars, because I am a charger man. But where is the new Dodge going to fall when it comes to our wallets?

And to have patience to wait around till the spring....that's costly too!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
If they are truly going to try to go after the Vette it's not gonna be a 30k car(unfortunately). Then again if the rumors about the new Vette is true then maybe they will bring the price down. Bob Lutz said the new Vette is going to suck the doors off the 06 Cobra( a car that's rumored to be 500 hp+).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
That's good news... I hope. Heck, I'd be happy with the 5.7L Hemi for a price tag around 34-36K. Does that seem about right? I just saw a commercial for the new Durango with the Hemi to be fully loaded at 39K..... Anyway, yes, the suck part is right on the money.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top