Charger Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
So then what is it called in Mopar land when ONLY the passenger side period spins? Cause that's what I had always referred to as an open rear.
On the build sheet, the open rear end is actually referred to by Dodge as a Conventional Differential Rear Axle ... this snip of a Challenger SXT build sheet:

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
To expand on what Sidd posted. Dodge names the rear differential as either Conventional or anti-spin. Was weird to me also when I first got the Daytona in 2013 coming from Camaro's and Mustangs.

The build sheet for a regular 2015-2017 RT and the 2017 RT Daytona will show:

2.62 Rear Axle Ratio
220MM Rear Axle
Conventional Differential Rear Axle

The build sheet for an 2015 RT Road and Track (Super Track) will show:

3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
230MM Rear Axle

The build sheet for a 2016 RT Road and Track:

2.62 Rear Axle Ratio
220MM Rear Axle

The build sheet for a 2015-2017 Scat or SRT:

3.09 Rear Axle Ratio
230MM Rear Axle
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

When I started looking at the new 2015's I was real surprised that the 2015 RT Road and Track got the 3.07 rear with the 230MM Axle but not a anti-spin. Coming from Mustangs and Camaro's I have always called the differential as a posi-trac or electronic.

Where did this Open Diff start from? LOL

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
At least they specify on the newer build sheets. This is all mine says about the axles:

175MM Front Axle
Active T/Case w/Frt Axle Disconnect
3.06 Rear Axle Ratio
215MM Rear Axle

Where did this Open Diff start from? LOL
The days before electronics. Open is the only thing I've ever heard a non limited slip/posi rear end called.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
:beatdeadhorse5: This topic has been beaten to death. All Chargers have an open/conventional rear
unless you have a 6.1 6.4 or 6.2sc.

The V6 & R/T has electronic limited slip that will grab the rotor on the slipping wheel,
left or right side, so it's possible to spin both wheels, but it still has an open diff.
Even if you turn off the TC it will still engage.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sooooooo...... then its NOT a 1 wheel peel right? Regardless of weather it's a limited slip rear OR electronically controlled via the traction control applying the brakes causing both rear wheels to spin they're both still spinning.
:D

·
Registered
248 Posts
:beatdeadhorse5: This topic has been beaten to death. All Chargers have an open/conventional rear
unless you have a 6.1 6.4 or 6.2sc.

The V6 & R/T has electronic limited slip that will grab the rotor on the slipping wheel,
left or right side, so it's possible to spin both wheels, but it still has an open diff.
Even if you turn off the TC it will still engage.
Unless you do a burnout after doing the "key trick" easter egg on 2006 to 2010 Charger RTs. Then there's no ABS or TC. Sometimes you'll get 1 wheel spin sometimes 2 even on AWD models. I've tried it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Unless you do a burnout after doing the "key trick" easter egg on 2006 to 2010 Charger RTs. Then there's no ABS or TC. Sometimes you'll get 1 wheel spin sometimes 2 even on AWD models. I've tried it.
Yeah they made it so that won't work on the '11+ :frown:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
are you turning traction all the way off and not just in sport ?? youchave to hold down the traction off button and hold it for few seconds then press and hold start button and hold both at the same time while starting the car and continue holding them both till you see it go into sport keep holding then it will show and turn ESC comoletely off then you can spin both tires. thats what i do on my 2015 challenger SXT PLUS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Swap in a 3.09 LSD from a Scat Pack. It is a 230 mm vs your 220 mm. Think only the diff needs to be changed.

You can Google around, they list for around $1500, can find for $12-1300.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
You can swap a 230 mm lsd with a 220 m without new axles?

61 - 77 of 77 Posts