Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Charger 3.5L with 125,000 Kms and this winter was the first time I have had issues with rough idle after cold start. For a few times I had no pedal response after start until I took the throttle body off and gave it a good cleaning.

Before I did that I took it to the stealership and had them look at it cause I wasn't doing it in -15 to -20 degree Celsius weather. The car has thrown zero codes as well. They told me they pulled a plug or two and they looked bad, so they recommended I have them replaced so I said well if that is it them go ahead, so after $100 for the plugs and around $325 in labour (BLAH!) the next morning SAME THING. Then they told me they did a software update on the PCM for rough idle and next morning you guessed it - SAME THING. And they wouldn't give me a refund for any of the work. Last business they get from me.

Up until this week it never happened every morning, but most mornings when it is cold the car is rough, but this week up to this morning when it was just -3 it was still rough. However you can drive it down the road not long after starting and the car has plenty of power and it doesn't seem like it's missing on a cylinder but very rough. After the temp hand gets close to normal the car idles fine.

I am lost on what to do next, and I am hoping a fellow charger friend out there has some ideas

Thanks in advance

Mel

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can one of the forum moderators edit the topic to say "Charger rough idle after cold start" Please!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Have your EVAP hose inspected and see if it's cracked. Just found out mine is and I have a rough idle when it's cold. Getting it replaced next week. Also, no codes. Dealer says they often see the elbow connection crack but mine is the actual plastic hose.

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
I have an 08 Charger 3.5L with 125,000 Kms and this winter was the first time I have had issues with rough idle after cold start. For a few times I had no pedal response after start until I took the throttle body off and gave it a good cleaning.

Before I did that I took it to the stealership and had them look at it cause I wasn't doing it in -15 to -20 degree Celsius weather. The car has thrown zero codes as well. They told me they pulled a plug or two and they looked bad, so they recommended I have them replaced so I said well if that is it them go ahead, so after $100 for the plugs and around $325 in labour (BLAH!) the next morning SAME THING. Then they told me they did a software update on the PCM for rough idle and next morning you guessed it - SAME THING. And they wouldn't give me a refund for any of the work. Last business they get from me.

Up until this week it never happened every morning, but most mornings when it is cold the car is rough, but this week up to this morning when it was just -3 it was still rough. However you can drive it down the road not long after starting and the car has plenty of power and it doesn't seem like it's missing on a cylinder but very rough. After the temp hand gets close to normal the car idles fine.

I am lost on what to do next, and I am hoping a fellow charger friend out there has some ideas

Thanks in advance

Mel

If you remember what the throttle body looked like before you cleaned it, you can imagine what the cylinders and the injectors must look like.

We have had many people with similar issues purchase a quart of ACES IV FIC and run that through the car......about 13 tanks of fuel.....which will clean the injectors and cylinder bores as well as the stems and valves. Remember that you have 4 valves per cylinder so a good cleaning will make it run much better especially in cold weather. A hampered spray pattern in warmer weather doesn't act the same as it does when it is really cold. Basically what happens is that gasoline has a hard time combusting in cold weather. When a car is new, the injectors vaporize the fuel at really any temperature and you have an efficient burn.

When a car is older the injectors spray becomes atomized or more like droplets than vapor. Gasoline only really burns well when it is vapor.

Think of the difference between spray painting (vaporized) and a pump hair sprayer where it is a mist (atomized).

ACES IV FIC will get everything cleaned up and get it running like it should from a fuel standpoint. :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. Where would I find the evap hose? Also I have read several articles on a camshaft sensor causing the issue of rough idle as well

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I think Ddaddy it was your post on your 06 SRT where I read about the camshaft sensor

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Yes, it was my thread.

The camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensors can cause a rough idle. I've had both replaced and it fixed it 90% (they were out of sync and needed to be replaced). I still have a stumble in the idle and after inspection we discovered that the EVAP hose was cracked so that's next to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If you remember what the throttle body looked like before you cleaned it, you can imagine what the cylinders and the injectors must look like.

We have had many people with similar issues purchase a quart of ACES IV FIC and run that through the car......about 13 tanks of fuel.....which will clean the injectors and cylinder bores as well as the stems and valves. Remember that you have 4 valves per cylinder so a good cleaning will make it run much better especially in cold weather. A hampered spray pattern in warmer weather doesn't act the same as it does when it is really cold. Basically what happens is that gasoline has a hard time combusting in cold weather. When a car is new, the injectors vaporize the fuel at really any temperature and you have an efficient burn.

When a car is older the injectors spray becomes atomized or more like droplets than vapor. Gasoline only really burns well when it is vapor.

Think of the difference between spray painting (vaporized) and a pump hair sprayer where it is a mist (atomized).

ACES IV FIC will get everything cleaned up and get it running like it should from a fuel standpoint. :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Brian, you know I'm a fan of ACES but the condition of the TB is independent of the cylinders and injectors. It becomes fouled due to the recirculating crud from the PCV and dirt from the air intake system. Aces won't clean any of that stuff. That said, if that crud is going into the cylinders, then Aces can help clean it from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks in advance

Mel

I have a 2010 Charger , It Ran like absolute crap on startup every friggin time it dropped below freezing. It never did this for the first two or three years.... My Battery was ten years old, I Changed the battery last week cause it wouldn't start anymore. With the new battery ,Now its minus twenty out and doesn't run rough at all on start up anymore. Go figure.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks in advance

Mel

I have a 2010 Charger , It Ran like absolute crap on startup every friggin time it dropped below freezing. It never did this for the first two or three years.... My Battery was ten years old, I Changed the battery last week cause it wouldn't start anymore. With the new battery ,Now its minus twenty out and doesn't run rough at all on start up anymore. Go figure.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brian, you know I'm a fan of ACES but the condition of the TB is independent of the cylinders and injectors. It becomes fouled due to the recirculating crud from the PCV and dirt from the air intake system. Aces won't clean any of that stuff. That said, if that crud is going into the cylinders, then Aces can help clean it from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts