Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody
New member here. Apologies if there is a better place for this, but I'm new and searching for honest answers and am having trouble finding the best resource. What better way than to ask owners?

I am searching for my next car and one that ticks many of my boxes is the Dodge charger. No matter what I pick, I really want to make sure that the car is relatively reliable in the sense that I won't be chasing gremlins and bugs constantly. Right now, I drive an Alfa Giulia and while the car is phenomenal to drive, I feel like I am constantly chasing small issues (sunroof creaking, driver's seat creaking, radio resetting, etc) that I shouldn't have to think about in such a new car. On top of that, the dealership is dismissive when I have issues and maintenance is more expensive than I expected. I'm terrified to own the car off warranty.

How is the Charger in terms of electrical/feature reliability, and will I find myself chasing similar issues in this car? I'm not too worried about powertrain- the OHV V8 and 8HP are stout items...still, the last Dodge I experienced was an Intrepid that liked to die on the highway. I'd like to scoop something up that I can own outside of warranty and not worry about repeated trips to get little issues fixed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Only a little over a year in on mine, and since working from home the past 9 months limits driving some days, I'm only at 6500 miles. Zero issues.

I deal in fleets and can say there is no brand really better than the rest. They all have issues, recalls, etc.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
52 Posts
28500 miles on my 2015 RT. I had one wheel sensor go bad during the warranty period and other than routine maintenance nothing since. The passenger side seat will creak sometimes if left totally vertical. Hope this helps. I have found my Charger to be totally reliable and fun to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have my eye on a 2015 RT with the R+T package. Lots of miles though.

On my Alfa, I'm at 32k and I've had-
Sunroof creaks, needing a reset once
Rust on the trunklid (repaired under warranty at no charge after six months of trying to get them to do so)
Various recalls (NBD honestly)
Hood latch handle doesn't fully retract inside the car
Battery randomly ran down, needed a recharge
Radio randomly restarts
Radio randomly goes blank
Radio loses setting (24h clock vs. 12h)
Driver's seat creaks when it's in a specific position (To the dealer twice, now I keep it in a different position)
Micro cracks in the infotainment display
Very poor quality assembly (gaps in dash, wobbly buttons, etc.)
Scratches on the trunklid due to overclosing
Needed new tires+alignment due to alignment issues (bad toe adjustment)

I don't want to sit here and complain, but these are the issues I'm concerned with. I'd like to make sure that my next vehicle avoids these issues or is cheap enough to fix that I can live with them. I HATE having a new car where I keep thinking about these little issues....but I'd be fine with them on something that costs half as much.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Over a year, and 11K. I dumped GM and went to my first Dodge after researching reliability. I have NO concerns about anything.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
2010 R/T 5.7 - traded at 96,000 miles and no issues with only oil changes.

2013 SRT8 - 133,000 miles (still my daily) ;
-front pads and rotors twice @ 60k and 120k
-recently changed the rear pads and rotors @120k
-plugs, coolant, transmission fluid, pcv valve, gear fluid @100k
- cam and lifters @101k
-water pump and thermostat @115k
-2 HVAC actuators between 115-130k
- still on original battery after 7 years

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Texas.

Reactions: sandwich

·
Registered
230 Posts
Alfa is know for problems
My new scat pack charger is on par with any Mercedes AMG that I have owned in the past and as far as fit and finish better than any other American car.
Coming from working at a GM dealership I am very impressed with my 2020 Charger plus the performance and sound !!!!

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I had a water pump seizure at about 20k miles on my 2017 Scatpack. It was fixed under warranty.

The other issue I've had is common...peeling rubber on inside door panel. I fixed that myself.

Personally, I won't be buying anything additional from FCA now that the Chinese government is a major shareholder (through Peugeot).

Best,

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I had a water pump seizure at about 20k miles on my 2017 Scatpack. It was fixed under warranty.

The other issue I've had is common...peeling rubber on inside door panel. I fixed that myself.

Personally, I won't be buying anything additional from FCA now that the Chinese government is a major shareholder (through Peugeot).

Best,
Yeah my 2013 was my last FCA purchase.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I've owned dozens of cars, but never anything like an LX/LD car, until my 300C in 2015 and my R/T Blacktop in 2018.

Usually, my experience has been that when a car breaks, you replace the part, and it's fixed. Sometimes, I would find myself saying, "Hey, I just replaced that part 10,000 miles ago, it's shouldn't have failed already!" One example was with my 2004 Ford Taurus and the cam synchronizer. When that happened, I posted in the Taurus Forum, and had the answer in five minutes..."You must have used the Dorman part, right? It's a piece of crap. Replace it with a gen-yoo-wine Ford synchro and you'll be all set."

But the 300 and the Charger are a whole new ballgame for me. Never before have I had the experience where you have a problem, replace literally every possible part that could be at fault, still have the problem, and have to just start replacing the same parts all over again. The Charger front suspension, for example, is this maze of spindly little stork-like parts that don't look like they could support a Little Tykes Cozy Coupe, much less the business end of a 4400 pound Charger.

The setup works about as well as you'd expect. But don't take my word for it. If you want to see your computer smoke and glow red, Google "dodge charger rattle" and "dodge charger clunk" and see what comes up. Follow a few of the links (some will lead you right back here) and read the stories.

Another thing to be aware of is the systemic quality control problems. When I bought my Charger, it was four years old and the shift quadrant was badly hazed and cracked. "That's weird", I thought, "Never seen that happen before." So I looked through some junkyards and eBay ads, and discovered that every single one looked just like mine, as though there is just no way to make a clear plastic part that doesn't haze and crack within a year or so, even when it's an interior part not exposed to the weather. I ended up having to buy a new one from a dealer for $200.

Chargers have plenty of other cosmetic problems, too. Google "Charger door panels" and see what pops up.

Then there's FUconnect. The (fifteen-year-old) REC head unit in my 300C, and the climate control just...work. Period.

FUconnect works when it wants to work. Sometimes the music just stops. When that happens, power cycling the unit may work, or it may not. A soft reset will usually do the trick. On my R/T, sometimes it blows cold when you're calling for heat, sometimes the opposite happens. Today on the way home from work, I couldn't get a steady temperature...it was either much too warm or freezing cold. Again, something I've never experienced before, but it's a common problem on Chargers. You can Google "Charger blend door" to learn more about this issue.

Speaking of quality control, cosmetic problems, and FUconnect, Google "uconnect delaminating". That one's a real joy.

Until I joined here and other Charger/300 forums, I had never seen so many "help, my car is giving a whole list of OBD codes, I replaced all these parts but it didn't help" posts.

I understand why you're asking your question here, but I think you really have to read between the lines if you want to learn about reliability and ease and frequency of repair on an enthusiast forum like this one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wait, I did find something; the lousy trunk fit. I will have to rig a spacer to make both sides even since there is no adjustment like on a Challenger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am new here too, and my car is brand new, so I can't comment on the reliability other than I see more 15 year old Chargers/300Cs than any other car around here.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It's about as reliable to me as any other American car, a lot more reliable than anything German, and a little more costly to repair than Japanese cars.

If you've owned a BMW or MB, it's a pleasant surprise, but if you're used to maintaining a Kia, Honda, or Toyota, well then it's a little more money to repair.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
135 Posts
You asked, here's my story ..

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Well, I guess I might as well add my 2 cents. I wasn't at first but I guess I might as well.

2019 Scat Pack purchased new in Mar 2019 and traded in April 2020 with 42,000 miles.

About 12,000 miles the suspension made thumping and thunking sounds. Under warranty, the complete left front suspension was replaced one part at a time per FCA policy. After each component was changed they would test drive the car and verify the noise still existed. They repeated this process until EVERY suspension component was replaced. And when the noise continued they started all over again and found the new OEM strut mount they replaced was faulty. The car was in and out of the shop during a 1 month period as they ordered parts and replaced them.

The multi function radio was replaced after 3 shop visits. The screen would go black, or turn solid blue, or flicker. When the touch screen is not functioning you lose about 90% of the cars functions controlled through the touch screen. Radio, auto temp control, back up camera, operation mores, SRT pages, etc. It took a series of cell phone videos sent to FCA engineers by the dealership to get the approval to replace it. One recurring theme you will read when it comes to electronic glitches is do a hard reset. Disconnect the battery cables and touch the two disconnected leads together for a while to dissipate stray voltage before reconnecting the battery. It might work. Usually it doesn't.

The clock would auto adjust in the wrong direction every time change. After being manually reset to the correct time it would often auto adjust again a day or two later.

It was time to fold, so I traded the car. Next to a new 1993 Pontiac Grand Am I owned, it was the second most problematic car I owned. The car was destined to be a curse. 2 weeks after I traded the car, the new owner suffered severe hail damage.

You will see a gamut of comments ranging from owners with a few thousand miles to a hundred thousand miles and many other owners in between like me. I would have to say my car was borderline lemon except for the fact I didnt have 1 problem that was a repeat that required a drive-back and could not be repaired. It was several different problems.

I buy cars to use and they must be reliable and robust to withstand 40,000+ miles a year. If I can't step out of the starter blocks that first year without problems it's substandard. The Charger is rental car quality with the option of engines, transmissions and brake packages.

Its the only car I ditched in a year but oddly one of the most satisfying cars I drove when it ran good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How frustrating...

I test drove a 2016 SXT this afternoon and honestly enjoyed every minute of it. It's nowhere near as responsive as my giulia, but it still feels solid and comfortable and the steering was nicely weighted. I was pretty content to steer my search into the "2015+ V8" direction, but hearing this later posts sound eerily reminiscent of the issues I face with the giulia has me second guessing.

A lot of my issues, I suppose, are from idiotic programming and a complete failure to update, but I'm not liking hearing about suspension clunk nor uconnect issues. My first commute in the Alfa- the radio cut out three or four times. It was later fixed, but still it was not a good omen.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I have two 2016's.. SXT Plus & Rallye and the only issue has been with the door panels peeling up at the top, but I fixed one car with Gorilla Glue, the other with a pneumatic stapler. No electrical gremlins, no clunks, no clickety-click lifters like the 5.7.

SXT's are actually fun to drive with the 8 speed transmission (as long as you are not drag racing). They are also a very comfy road trip car that can get 36+ mpg. The Pentastar V6 is nearly bulletproof and will run a long long time and maintenance is easy unlike the older 3.5 (no timing belts to change, the water pump is right up front, the oil filter is on top for easy access).

The only draw back to the SXT models is the puny BR3 brakes, but it is easy & cheap to upgrade to the BR5 brakes from the R/T.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Well, I guess I might as well add my 2 cents. I wasn't at first but I guess I might as well.

2019 Scat Pack purchased new in Mar 2019 and traded in April 2020 with 42,000 miles.

About 12,000 miles the suspension made thumping and thunking sounds. Under warranty, the complete left front suspension was replaced one part at a time per FCA policy. After each component was changed they would test drive the car and verify the noise still existed. They repeated this process until EVERY suspension component was replaced. And when the noise continued they started all over again and found the new OEM strut mount they replaced was faulty. The car was in and out of the shop during a 1 month period as they ordered parts and replaced them.

The multi function radio was replaced after 3 shop visits. The screen would go black, or turn solid blue, or flicker. When the touch screen is not functioning you lose about 90% of the cars functions controlled through the touch screen. Radio, auto temp control, back up camera, operation mores, SRT pages, etc. It took a series of cell phone videos sent to FCA engineers by the dealership to get the approval to replace it. One recurring theme you will read when it comes to electronic glitches is do a hard reset. Disconnect the battery cables and touch the two disconnected leads together for a while to dissipate stray voltage before reconnecting the battery. It might work. Usually it doesn't.

The clock would auto adjust in the wrong direction every time change. After being manually reset to the correct time it would often auto adjust again a day or two later.

It was time to fold, so I traded the car. Next to a new 1993 Pontiac Grand Am I owned, it was the second most problematic car I owned. The car was destined to be a curse. 2 weeks after I traded the car, the new owner suffered severe hail damage.

You will see a gamut of comments ranging from owners with a few thousand miles to a hundred thousand miles and many other owners in between like me. I would have to say my car was borderline lemon except for the fact I didnt have 1 problem that was a repeat that required a drive-back and could not be repaired. It was several different problems.

I buy cars to use and they must be reliable and robust to withstand 40,000+ miles a year. If I can't step out of the starter blocks that first year without problems it's substandard. The Charger is rental car quality with the option of engines, transmissions and brake packages.

Its the only car I ditched in a year but oddly one of the most satisfying cars I drove when it ran good.
It certainly does not excuse the amount of issues that you and others have had, however it does seem to get lost in the mix sometime. These are cheap, plastic, fleet vehicles at heart.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts