Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm currently shopping for a 4 door family car I can do an occasional track day (road course) with. I owned an '06 GoManGo Daytona some years back and really loved it.

I think a new Charger R/T would be awesome for daily commute and family duties, but I'm wondering if the car would be any good on the track with the Super Track Pack?

Most of the other cars I'm considering are smaller/lighter and would be better for track days, but not as comfy for cruising on our horrible midwest roads!

Appreciate any thoughts from anyone on suitability of this car for my needs.

I'd prefer not to go SRT >:) because I don't really want to take that big of a gas mileage hit.

Thanks!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
To be honest, there is really not that much difference between an R/T and an SRT8 as far as gas mileage!

These are from 2014 Chargers!

I have attached pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting points!

Thanks much for the posts folks!

I did read the 07 SRT thread with interest. Since it is so different from a new model R/T with R&T with STP I figured I would ask. Not too much info on here about track days with Chargers! :)

Gooooood point that the gas mileage isn't that different. I mostly travel side streets without too many lights and my average speed is around 40-45 mph, so I doubt I would see any difference from an R/T vs SRT on my 36 mile round trip commute. I figured it would add up after 10 years of ownership, but those numbers are so darn close it makes the added advantage of the adjustable suspension and upgraded brakes on the SRT that much better.

Of course, there is still a price difference too.

Anyone taken an STP on a roadcourse?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Just on winding back roads and she handles them at speed confidently.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
I guess it depends on if you are going to want to do any big mods!

If you are, you might look at the SRT instead of the R/T!

If you are going to keep stuff small, or not do any mods, the R/T should be fine for ya!

Anyway, something else for you to consider!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't have an STP, I've got a Blacktop R/T. I have taken her autocrossing, but not to a full track day, my 98 M3 handles that duty. It's gotta be said with a car that heavy, on those tight little autocross courses it'll feel like you're mud wrestling a gorilla. Fun as all hell though! For it's size and weight, I know a Charger with the STP will still be able to do quite well on a road course and you'll enjoy it. Sure, it won't be as at home there as an MX-5 or an M3 or what have you. But, it's still more than competent. Not to mention, you'll probably have more fun going sideways and ballistic in your Hemi Charger than will many others trying their best to beat their last lap time :p so go for it!

If money is no object though, get an SRT.
GET. AN. SRT.
As others said, the fuel economy difference is negligible and the added performance is well, WELL worth it. I don't remember if STP Chargers get the limited slip diff, but standard Chargers don't, and the SRT does, and that on its own is a HUGE bonus on a track, autocross course, and just in general.

Plus there isn't much else in the price range of an R/T or an SRT that'll give you the utility of a family sedan plus the rip-roaring muscle car performance. Not if you shop around the new car market anyways.

Some alternatives would include a BMW E90 (last generation 4-door) M3, Chevy SS/Pontiac G8. But the GM cars don't have the personality that a Charger has got. The BMW will drive better, will be fadter and much more easy to handle. But it is much smaller than a Charger while being just as uneconomical as an SRT8. Plus it's a bimmer so... more expensive to own. If you can afford it though that'll probably be the best alternative.

So yeah looks like an SRT8 Charger would be great for what you are looking for! If you can spend the extra money, do an SRT. Orrrrrr a 4 door M3

·
Registered
562 Posts
MOPAR ALL THE WAY!

but,
Taurus SHO ain't too terrible either.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Get the RT/STP instead of the SRT, and save the extra money for a good set of wheels & tires for track duty! :bigthumb:

I ran a 1:58 lap with my V6 AWD Charger at Mid Ohio! ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Track and daily driver, family car. I wouldn't pick a Charger to accomplish those goals. I'd try to find a used Nissan GT-R for tracking. I'd probably could afford a 2015 Subaru WRX STI. I currently have a Charger R/T Road and Track STP. I don't feel the car is "trackable", it's a boat out there. You can't ignore all wheel drive.

·
Registered
735 Posts
just get an SRT, does 1 mile per gallon really matter to you?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Track and daily driver, family car. I wouldn't pick a Charger to accomplish those goals. I'd try to find a used Nissan GT-R for tracking. I'd probably could afford a 2015 Subaru WRX STI. I currently have a Charger R/T Road and Track STP. I don't feel the car is "trackable", it's a boat out there. You can't ignore all wheel drive.

I had the wrx, and it's not that great as a family car. It's fun to drive though
STI is prob even worse as a family car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts