Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night right before our service dept. closed, we got our first Charger! Management wanted the car to get through its PDI (predelivery inspection) that night so they could detail it and put it on the showroom floor. What follows is my initial thoughts after taking the car out for its "shakedown", a 12 mile ( its supposed to be only 7 ;) ) cruise in wich you make sure everything is working properly prior to delivery.

The R/T is silver with the lt. slate interior,looks very nice and smells good too. It has the nav,sound groupII, and both convience groups. As a side note the sticker for the nav sys. was only 1495, not the 1895 as stated in the build your own on the dodge site. it also has hands free and a block heater. Upon starting the vehicle one thing becomes readily apparent: it is a quiet car, which is a plus or minus, depending on your own taste. I personally wish the car had a slightly stronger "voice" like the new Goat has. It is also a very smooth car, no hesitations, no rumbles or vibes transmitted to the steering wheel. Like the magnum, it has easy to read guages; white face with black lettering. The nav system is easy to read as well, it is the same system found in other DCx products. The stereo is very nice for a stock unit and should provide to all but the "bawlers". It has a sub and six speakers and I found it to be a quality listening experience. The tilt and telescoping wheel and pwr adj. pedals made it easy to find a comfortable driving position. One criticism here though, a memory feature would make it easier for families with two different size drivers. The seats are a bit slippery(newness of the leather no doubt played a role) but comfortable, at least for my short trip. It has a high beltline; vision out is generally good. The rear seat occupants will not have the same head room as found on the 300, the couple like slope of the roof meant that my head touched it. I am 6'3" so shorter passengers might not notice, but since this car did not have a sunroof it makes me wonder what that will be like. the rear seats fold down and has cupholders in the center armrest.

My route was mostly over city streets with one short blast on Interstate hiway. The roads here in Denver are some of the worst in the country, but the Charger handled them in workman-like fashion. It seems to be tuned stiffer than a Magnum or a 300C, but only slightly so. I did not get a chance to wring out the suspension, as my test route was a box. I can tell you that like the other LX sedans, the Charger moves with authority, which surprised some kids in a focus svt that had pulled up to get a closer look. Accelerating on the hiway I took the oppurtunity to use the auto stick feature and using my watch clocked a 0-60 time in about 5 and a half seconds. Keep in mind the car had 6 miles on it when I started the test drive, so it is green and my unfamiliarity with the car and using my watch means this is an estimate. I fully expect when the car mags test, the Charger will be in the low 5's. The real surprise to me was that the car seemed to perform effortlessly, which gave it kind of a vanilla quality. There is no drama, or even personality. It actually reminded me of my neighbors 400E Mercedes in feel. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice car, one that will appeal to alot of folks out there. I am hoping that the Daytona( with the optional R/T performance handling) with its revised exhaust and diffrent interior bring a little more attitude to the party. This was a very short drive and these are only my initial impressions of the car. When we get more in I hope to get a longer drive in one, perferably on some twisties, where I fully expect the car to shine. The R/T performance handling package should be available in about a month; it will contain diffrent springs and shocks, and a load leveling rear suspension, wider rims and tires( still 18 inch)and possibly the 3.06 rear end. That should be just the shot of caffiene the car needs to make it a true muscle car. It would seem that dodge will have a hit on its hands!

·
Banned
99 Posts
"I took the oppurtunity to use the auto stick feature and using my watch clocked a 0-60 time in about 5 and a half seconds."

That sounds very scientific.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adaptabl said:
"I took the oppurtunity to use the auto stick feature and using my watch clocked a 0-60 time in about 5 and a half seconds."

That sounds very scientific.
Sorry, I left my road test data equipment with Motor Trend...I'll be sure to call them in the morning and have them ship it back to me before my next test drive to give you the EXACT 0-60 times...sheesh!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Man,if the charger is in the low fives from 0-60,I wonder what the srt-8 is going to be,maybe low 4's 0-60 times?!! Man,if that's true,I can't wait to get mine!!!! :D :cool:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Several auto pubs have tested the 300s and have clicked off 0-60 times of 5.3 for the C and 4.7 for the srt-8...I'm sure the charger will be the same or maybe a tenth quicker. The curb weights are almost the same for both cars..

·
Registered
832 Posts
The First R/T in Ga and they won't let me test drive it cuz young gezzy ordered it for him :mad:

·
Registered
91 Posts
To solve the quiet exhaust dilemna, Mopar Performance has come to the table with a cat back exhaust system for the 300C, Magnum R/T, and Charger R/T. The exhaust is supplied by Borla, so you can be assured it is a quality piece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I just bought the second one in my area yesterday. My wife needed/wanted a new car. I tried to get her to buy a 300c but she preffered the Magnum. I like the Magmum but am a little tired of seeing them everywhere. In my opinion the Magnum needs to be modified i.e. wheels, tires, body mods to stand out.
We have put about 100 miles on it and love it. Ride quality is excellent as are the Magnum and 300c. It is very quiet and smooth. I sit here tonight thinking I should have gone to the dragstrip instead of wathcing the race!
Handling seems good until you push it a little, and then it seems to slide more than I expected. I have a Mercedes S500 as a daily driver that seems to easily out handle the Charger. One thing I notice is the car seems difficult to keep pointing straight as you drive. I think an alignment will fix the darting though. Braking seems excellent and my overall impression is positive with the car. I haven't thrashed it as of yet, but will soon once it gets a few miles on it.
Quite the head-turner it is!
Take care,
Warren.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts