Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the falling American Peso....er I mean dollar mean increased prices on new Chargers in the USA ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm not sure what will happen to the American pricing, but it would sure be nice to see the Canadian pricing drop to US levels.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm not sure what will happen to the American pricing, but it would sure be nice to see the Canadian pricing drop to US levels.....
Don't hold your breath. What's the incentive for them?

Money talks. The only real incentive will be when their sales go down due to buyers crossing the border to buy the car, or if a competitor decides to cut down on their own prices and gain market shares.

About crossing the border, only a handful of buyers will ever go to the trouble of doing it (Import paperwork, Inspections, warranty fights, etc) Also, the further away from the border, the fewer people will do it. Nothing for them to be scared of now, considering the overall sales volume.

For the competition factor, if it ever goes down, it will happen slowly over time, not in spectacular lumps. Since the dealers are most likely buying in $CDN from Chrysler Canada, the price reduction would need to come from the Chrysler sale price to the dealers. It will be tempting for the dealers to just cash in the difference...

...Ben...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Actually, there is a huge amount of activity caused by Canadian consumers going across the border to buy vehicles. My sister and her husband bought a new Yukon Denali a few months back from a dealership in North Dakota. Saved more than $15000 after all was said and done. GM, and several other manufacturers have now forbidden their dealerships in the US to sell to Canadians. There is a $2billion class action lawsuit that was filed a few weeks ago against several manufacturers over this practise.

Prices will come down. There is getting to be too much pressure on the manufacturers. I won't be expecting identical pricing, due to our smaller market, and arguably higher taxes, but I do not expect to pay 50% more here in Canada in comparison to a, say diesel pickup in the US.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A 2008 Super Bee is $46,000US vs $53,000CDN. Thats about 15%....If the dollar was at par I would expect Canada to be 7 to 10% higher due to taxes and cost of business. 22% with the CDN$ at 1.07 is too much. Chrysler will have to reduce the CDN pricing.. Or, since the Car is made in Canada, the US buyers should really be getting a price increase.... Thats a problem for all CDN manufacturers trying to export right now. There is no easy answer to what is actually a complex problem....

·
Registered
857 Posts
46,000.00 USD = 42,998.50 CAD

$10,000 Canadian difference in price.

What I believe the problem is that several years back, when the dollar was worth little more than .62 USD, the manufacturers priced thier products according to the exchange. The rate changed, but demand for them to change prices in our favour has not come until now. Can't blame a company for making a buck, or 10,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts