Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some research on the Charger and thought I'd see what availability there is in my area (Central Maryland). Seems that there are about 15-20 or so Chargers (according to the dodge website inventory search) in about a 25 mile radius from my zip. It seemed a bit odd since I got the feeling from the boards here that many here needed to order their car.

I'm also trying to get an idea of demand since I'm not willing to pay MSRP for any vehicle. I'm suspecting I'll need to wait 6-12 months for prices to level off.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
many of us are ordering our cars in order to get it just the way we want it... all the options we want, with none that we don't...

there are over 30 here in AZ... but I want my Charger Daytona optioned a certain way... so I ordered... and have been unpaitently waiting... LOL

·
Registered
226 Posts
Design1stcode2nd What is the normal timeframe on an order 12 weeks?
Thats what most of the members on this board are looking at. Some shorter than others, some sooner, like 6 weeks. The Daytonas are longer, with some members having thiers built in Sept.! When I get my charger, I want to order it, because my salesperson told me that he'll give me special pricing.

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
808Chargerfan said:
When I get my charger, I want to order it, because my salesperson told me that he'll give me special pricing.

John
Typically if you can wait ordering is usually best depending on the dealer. Dodge has a holdback of 3% so even if you pay invoice they are making about $1,000 since it doesn't sit on their lots. Some dealers will give you the same if you order or not just depends on the dealer.

When I asked for quotes of well under invoice for my Murano some told me to go fly a kite and some said how's $500 below (2003 bought in 2003). Dealer with the $500 below got my business.

I'll be getting a tranny fluid change this Saturday so I'll have an hour or 2 to kill. Luckily it's a Nissan/Dodge/Honda dealer so I'll take an RT for a test drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A family member with a large dealership in my area mentioned a few days ago that chargers were not moving no matter what the options were. What's up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
According to Dodge's website, there are 15 Chargers in dealer stock in the Las Vegas area. One dealer has 10 Chargers alone. 5 SXT and 5 R/T. I don't know about overall sales numbers though. Having them in stock doesn't mean they're not selling.

Either way, I've had mine for months and couldn't be happier. So if other people are missing out and leaving them on the lots, that's their problem :lol:

:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
tater said:
A family member with a large dealership in my area mentioned a few days ago that chargers were not moving no matter what the options were. What's up.
With all the discounts on cars, there is no way anyone should buy one without a big discount. DC better start some incentives or watch them pile up even more in the dealerships. The Charger is a 4 door family sedan. Lots of great competition and excellent discounts on some great cars. They will have to fight hard to get any of this market back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the things the charger has going for it is even though it is a full-sized sedan it doesn't look like one (or atleast not as much like one) and I'm assuming drive like one. When someone says family sedan to me I think of a Camry or Ford 500. Both are about as boring and sedate as they come. I think the Charger will sell fairly well just like the 300C, Altima and Maxima. These all allow you to have a family sedan with some style. The charger and 300C add slap-you-in-the-face power to boot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oldschool said:
The Charger is a 4 door family sedan. Lots of great competition and excellent discounts on some great cars. They will have to fight hard to get any of this market back.

I don't think there's a lot of "great" competition for the Charger in the sport sedan segment, if any at all

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Oldschool said:
With all the discounts on cars, there is no way anyone should buy one without a big discount. DC better start some incentives or watch them pile up even more in the dealerships. The Charger is a 4 door family sedan. Lots of great competition and excellent discounts on some great cars. They will have to fight hard to get any of this market back.
The reason those other cars (Ford, GM, Chrysler) all have such huge discounts is because they're all very overpriced to start. Have you looked at the window sticker on a Ford 500 or Dodge Stratus? The Charger SE is priced right, and should not need much discounting to sell. The SXT is overpriced, and should only cost at most $1000 more than an SE. The R/T is also overpriced, and should only cost a couple grand more than an SXT. The Hemi is cheaper to manufacture than the 3.5L, so there isn't much to justify the $7,000 price jump from SE to R/T. No power seat and glued-on fake chrome interior trim is worth that.

Once the excitement starts to die down, they're going to have to start offering incentives on the R/T to keep it moving. Ford will have to do the same thing with the Mustang, especially the V6 and convertibles. $27k for a V6 convertible? When hell freezes over!

Chargers do appear to be moving well here in AZ. I've been checking frequently and there is quite a bit of turnover and inventories are generally low, except at one dealer with maybe 15. Ironically, almost all of them have the light interior - maybe that's why they're there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been researching the Charger for several weeks now before deciding to take the plunge (I just ordered my Charger R/T from the dealer this week). I live in the Philadelphia area, and the inventories are starting to grow. The smaller dealers only ever have 2 or 3 on the lot at any one time. The larger dealers around here have up to 30 cars on the lots. In speaking with my dealer, it seems the mix between those who order and those who buy off the lot was pretty close to 50/50.

The Chargers have a $500 rebate if you purchase/order before 8/1, at least here in my area. If the rebate happens to go up before my car arrives, I'll get that extra cash back. If not, or if they do away with the rebate completely, I'm still locked in for the $500 rebate. I ended up ordering mine because I couldn't find one on a lot with my desired combination of options. Most of the cars on the dealer lots have few, if any, of the decent option packages.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Bluefin74 said:
The Chargers have a $500 rebate if you purchase/order before 8/1, at least here in my area. If the rebate happens to go up before my car arrives, I'll get that extra cash back. If not, or if they do away with the rebate completely, I'm still locked in for the $500 rebate.
According to a dealer in my area, you only qualify for the $500 if you take delivery of your vehicle while the rebate is still in effect. It seemed kind of silly to me, but that's the way I understood it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe they handle the rebate differently in different areas of the country, based on demand and sales. I don't really know. All I know is that I have $500 marked off on my buyer's contract and the car isn't going to get here in the next couple of days. And all of the dealers I spoke with in my area when I shopped around said the same thing - if I ordered the car before 8/1, the $500 was included.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Even if the $500 rebate promo ends before you get your car, the dealer has plenty of profit to play with to offer you the $500 anyway. Remember that even if you haggled your way down to invoice (instead of MSRP) the dealer gets holdbacks/rebates/etc. from DCX. If the dealer thinks that $500 will make or break the deal, you can bet he's going to make the deal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mnunes -

You're right on the money there, my friend. They're making plenty of money on these cars, even if you buy one at invoice price. The dealer holdback for my factory-order Charger was $989. The dealer I ended up going with was solid though. He wanted the business, so he was willing to deal. He quoted me $400 under invoice. Of course, he is still making $589 on the deal with the holdback, and since I ordered the car and will be paying for it the day it arrives, it costs him nothing in maintenance and interest fees that go along with cars sitting on the lot waiting to be purchased. But with the rebate on top of his quote, I basically got my car for the DC employee price. All in all, I can't complain.

Now I just need to hope it gets built correctly, shipped without any problems, unloaded without any damage, picked up by me and driven back to my place without any accidents! :happy:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rebates do very from region to region.

You get the rebate available at the time of delivery.
It is never "locked" in.

If it goes up, great, you have saved money. If it goes away or down you are paying more.

Dealers are paying for the vehicles every day they sit on the lot.

If a dealer has 600 units sitting on his lot at an average MSRP of $20,000 that is 12 million in inventory. We all know that many of these vehicles cost more than that.

They are financed with a bank.
Holdback helps pay the flooring costs.

If a dealer sells you a vehicle at invoice, yes, he gets his holdback, but does incur flooring costs that come out of this. He is only moving a unit, that does help him hit volume goals the factory sets based off last years #s and regional sales. If he reaches that goal he does get an extra kick back per unit sold. Thats an if and a big if. He may just break even for the month sometimes.

Depending on how many vehicles are sitting on dealer lots nationwide depends on the rebates the factory will offer to move steel. It also depends on what the competition is doing also.
They watch the others manufacturers to make sure market share is not taken away. This is why daimler/chrysler has joined the strategy that GM started, with the Price Plus program which is slated to expire at the end of business day August 1st.

It is not increasing thier bottom line but moving steel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts