Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone!

first off, you guys are awesome. i've been browsing your forum for over a week now at work and i've never seen such camaraderie among forum members. i was easily convinced to join!

i have a background of import and european cars and recently been suckered into an '06 charger R/T project for one of my friends. this is the first american/muscle car i've ever toyed with and i have to say it's been a real treat to drive.

BUT, the car has been through hell and at over 160k miles it truly needs some TLC. here are the issues i'm planning to address with the car, any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!

1. TPMS - the car has 22" wheels on it. the wheels are supposed to have the sensors in them, but i will double check. the light has stayed on even though the pressure is set at 36psi.

2. the car starts and runs extremely rough sometimes. only sometimes. the car will have a severe misfire. the cure for this is to literally floor it and over about 4000rpm, the engine runs healthy again.

3. the air conditioner occasionally decides to go to heat on its own. the solution to this has been to turn the dial to heat then turn it back to cold.

4. the airbag light is on. i assume i'll have to get this scanned.

5. the check engine light is on, i'm going to try and scan for them using the method on the lx forums a little later today.

6. i want to go through and do all the general maintenance on it so i'll be looking for a thread soon to change the spark plugs out, change the oil (if there's any tips or tricks), and change the misc filters and fluids.

7. brakes - my friend drives like a true :rocker: and i haven't gotten the brakes to squeek while driving it, but he does without fail. he's also 6'7" and 300lbs or so. i was reading into the squeeking brake thread but it looked like the only solution was to go with slotted fronts? is this still the best way to go? i didn't want to read through all 51 pages of the thread :confused:

thanks everyone! i'll post my progress as i go and hopefully this can help some of you guys out also!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i pulled codes from the car yesterday and came up with these:

P0030 - Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected
P1521 - Transmission Engaged at High Throttle Angle

i'm planning on changing out the o2 sensor later today while doing some other general maintenance stuff.

does anyone know how to get rid of the p1521 code though?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
EDIT: I just checked the code myself for the Charger: P1521 is Incorrect Engine Oil Type

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
you might have an exhaust leak for the first code,

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Um, with those codes, you're likely getting the misfire from old spark plugs. When you change them (don't forget there are 16 of 'em), buy the manufacturer (and forum majority) recommended copper or copper plus. You won't hear many of us say to stick with what the manufacturer says too often, but with plugs you will. There are theories that intake plugs should be copper/plus, and exhaust plugs should be platinum or iridium, but I don't know that anyone has tried or proven the theory. Besides, not too many people can tell with plug, in which cylinder is for intake and which is for exhaust. Either way, do not use the E3 plugs - our engines do not like them at all (you think your engine runs badly now? Go ahead, try 'em, just for fun). Plus, the E3's cost 2 or 3 times more than copper & copper plus - I know.

As for the P1521 code, the previous owner probably put the wrong oil in the car. Put in 5W20, and that will likely resolve the code, although you may need to change the oil a couple times to flush the wrong stuff out of it. With the wrong oil in there, that can't help it run well, and your gas mileage has got to suck (literally - the MDS won't work properly, and you'll suck down lots of fuel).

I'm sure Brian or someone will be along soon to chime in... But...

Don't use a flush additive, just drain, fill with new 5w20 (maybe use a synthetic blend - if previous owner put wrong oil in, he may have put conventional dino-oil in), drive it & see if the code goes away (sometimes takes 3 start/drive/cool-down sequences). If not drain it, fill with new 5w20 again (step up to full synthetic), and you probably will have gotten most of the residual wrong oil out (there will still be a small/trace amount of residue, but hey). It may take a 2nd or 3rd drain & fill-with-new cycle to completely get rid of the code thrown by your computer for wrong oil.

Good luck, and welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you everyone for your input. i purchased mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 and a factory filter that i'll be putting in sometime this week along with 16 new champion factory spec plugs.

i will check the exhaust for leaks when i get under the car to change the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts