Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here install a gas locking gas cap? One of the things I was a little surprised by when getting my Charger was the gas cap cover doesn't open from a button on the "inside" of the car...making it easy for a crazy Girlfriend or some nut to put something in your gas tank. I think Chrysler went overboard with all their sensors..that sensor on the gas cap seems like serious overkill.

When installing the locking gas cap is there a place to plug in that same sensor which shows if the cap is loose or not? Or do you just let it dangle...or just remove the sensor wire all together?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
The sensor for the EVAP system is not in the gas cap. The plastic cable that keeps you from loosing your cap is just that, a plastic tether.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks my man. I just went to actually "look" at it as opposed to reading the manual and you are definitely right. That cable seems to just be to hold the cap in place while filling up. Good to also know the sensor isn't somewhere in or on the gas cap itself.

I actually took the gas cap off completely and started the car....I didn't see any signs or symbols saying the gas cap was loose or off. Maybe it takes a while to kick in....i'm not that interested to find out..just thought it was interesting nothing came on when I took the cap off completely and started her up.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Dont sweat it man, its not really a sensor on the cap:) What it does is draw a vacuum on the gas tank while the engines running. If for some reason, that vacuum leaks away, the car sets a code for a vac leak in the EVAP system.

Experienced techs know that the most likely cause of a small Evap leak is a loose gas cap, or one that isnt sealing right, maybe the gasket is torn or degraded.

So they tell you that the car said your gas cap was loose. Any cap can be used, as long as it seals properly.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
That code only sets overnight, of after engine cooldown, say a long trip in the mall:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I too was surprised the gas cap door doesnt lock. First gas up I ended up standing in the parking lot looking like an idiot and reading the manual trying to figure out how to get to the gas cap LOL

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually, I may be worse...I was looking for the gas cap door "button" or lever for about 20 mins saying WTF to myself and thinking it was hidden somewhere out of the way. I was pushing all kinds of buttons.....popping the trunk..etc...lmao....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Im in the same boat as you guys, I pull up to the gas pumps the first night I had it looking really good, only to look like an idiot after sitting at the pump for twenty minutes looking for that magic button that doesent exist

·
Registered
507 Posts
i actualy dropped my car off at the dealer today because my CEL was lit up and could not be reset by pulling fuses. one of the first things the person asked me was , did you put an aftermarket locking gas cap on? which i did. when i pick up the car tomorow i will let you guys know what the code error was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts