Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this seems like a silly question, but my 2006 Charger is my first car and the good ole state of VA requires front license plates. I'm not all that enthused to drilling 4 holes into my front bumper to attach my license plate...but is that what I'm supposed to do? Did you take it to the dealer? Are there any alternatives? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
R33T said:
I know this seems like a silly question, but my 2006 Charger is my first car and the good ole state of VA requires front license plates. I'm not all that enthused to drilling 4 holes into my front bumper to attach my license plate...but is that what I'm supposed to do? Did you take it to the dealer? Are there any alternatives? Thanks in advance.
well i live in va.. my charger came with a front plate bracket.

fwiw there was some legislation that failed which would have gotten rid of the useless stoopid front plate in va. it got tanked last year. :(

dale
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dale said:
well i live in va.. my charger came with a front plate bracket.

fwiw there was some legislation that failed which would have gotten rid of the useless stoopid front plate in va. it got tanked last year. :(

dale
I was impatient so I had the Charger I wanted DXed from PA and actually picked it up in MD so somewhere between PA and MD, I managed to get it without a front license plate bracket :sad: . Sad about VA legislation, the front license plate really annoys me for some reason...the Charger is just so beastly looking from someone's rearview, I don't want to ruin that with a license plate :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
I live in FL. We don't have front plates here, but my R/T came with a black front plate bracket. If you want you can have it. Just pay the shipping and I will send it to you! :happy:

Let me know,
Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I have a spare also (also a Floridian). My front license plate bracket was neatly wrapped in plastic and stored in the trunk with my cargo net. I don't think you will mess up your front bumper much as DCX already placed four dimples in it that line up with the holes in the license plate bracket. Now, if we could find a way to remove those dimples...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Just get a cool front plate (personalized) and you will love it :)

Besides, it makes it easier to run license plates and find stolen cars etc, so if yours ever get stolen there might be a chance at getting it back, not that my ford inteceptor (2000, with 120,000 miles) could ever catch it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advice! I picked up a bracket from the dealership and I suppose I will return there to have them drill the holes in my bumper :sad: ...maybe I could just ducttape my license on hehehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
stick it on the dash facing out the windsheild? mabye rubber band it to the passenger side visor, with the visor down all the time?

I have seen other options on the road... want me to keep going? hehehe

Yeah, I am origionally from a state that requires the front plate, and always gripped about how it destroys the vehicles look... but you dont really have an option...

When I moved to Canada, and lived in a Province that did not require a front plate, the first thing I did was remove the front bracket off my Ram, and now with living in Arizona... the front plate is not required.... although they give you 2 plates should you want to run 2.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DAYTONA_R/T said:
stick it on the dash facing out the windsheild? mabye rubber band it to the passenger side visor, with the visor down all the time?

I have seen other options on the road... want me to keep going? hehehe

Yeah, I am origionally from a state that requires the front plate, and always gripped about how it destroys the vehicles look... but you dont really have an option...

When I moved to Canada, and lived in a Province that did not require a front plate, the first thing I did was remove the front bracket off my Ram, and now with living in Arizona... the front plate is not required.... although they give you 2 plates should you want to run 2.....
I was talking to a friend of mine who has a nice Mazda RX8, he opted to leave his front license plate off and not drill holes in his bumper. I looked up the fine in VA, its only $25...I might just try and push my luck for a bit
:whistle:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
I live in Ohio, and they require a front plate also. But over the years I've noticed a lot of Vette and Trans Am owners who leave off the front plate.

So when I ordered my Daytona, I told the dealer to leave the front plate bracket in the trunk. I'll risk getting caught, before I screw up the looks of this beautiful car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
R33T said:
I was talking to a friend of mine who has a nice Mazda RX8, he opted to leave his front license plate off and not drill holes in his bumper. I looked up the fine in VA, its only $25...I might just try and push my luck for a bit
:whistle:
as a cop in virginia ill tell u to put it on cuz the fine is more than 25 and there are three charges they can jack u up with at one shot. that bieng said as a charger owner in virginia mine is not on the front. its on the dash in the front windshield. i cant give leagal advice but hey if its displayed and i can see it in the front windshield im not going to write u for it, thats my discretionary right as a police officer. where u at trying to put together a clum for the nova metro area. lets get it going
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
I ran my SRT-4 for about three months with it in the trunk here in MD. Then a nice lady trooper pulled me over for it. I'm convinced if I hadnt handed over my military ID with my liscence, I would have gotten a ticket. But once she saw that, she gave me a warning to get it mounted ASAP.

So I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
copcharger said:
as a cop in virginia ill tell u to put it on cuz the fine is more than 25 and there are three charges they can jack u up with at one shot. that bieng said as a charger owner in virginia mine is not on the front. its on the dash in the front windshield. i cant give leagal advice but hey if its displayed and i can see it in the front windshield im not going to write u for it, thats my discretionary right as a police officer. where u at trying to put together a clum for the nova metro area. lets get it going
Thanks for the advice, I noticed that there were three different charges that were similar, failure to display, incorrect mounting, and one other...We should definitely get a club going in the area, but if I come and don't have my license plate you have to promise to not ticket me hahaha :ninja: . I live in Great Falls, VA and work in McLean, VA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
copcharger, I've always been curious about this. What is the purpose of the tag on the front? Do you guys actually read that when a car is behind you?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
no but it helps when a car is comming at u, or if a car has backed ito a space ie a robery suspect parks his car so he can leave as fast as possible thats what i was taught. its just another way to I D a car
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
And of course, it makes a mighty fine laser target, being reflective and all, right?:) Not that the headlight bucket isn't also:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
GLHS837 said:
And of course, it makes a mighty fine laser target, being reflective and all, right?:) Not that the headlight bucket isn't also:)
actualy that is a myth the reflective surface needed for a lydar detector is the size of a half dollar........ oh and when they say once i write the ticket i have to give it to u thats a white lie too...... and no we dont have quotas we just have recomended stats lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
Oh, I know you don't need it, but don't you use it if it's there? I was told the list was

Plate
Headlight
Followed by any available flat surface.

I know theres no beating it, if the nice officer tags you, your done, he's got a read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
73_challenger said:
Hey CopCharger, how is that Corvettes, Pontiacs Grand Prix's and other cars never have their front license plates on?
i asked today and was told by my chief no less that he has no clue.....lol
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top