Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really the forum for this thread but since it is one of the most traveled here we are. Since people are probably not going into the forum feedback thread as much as when it first launched I didn't want this update to go unnoticed. If you click on the bottom left there is a new additional skin AG Jeff added today called Charger forums darker. It gets rid of the white in favor of a light gray that is easy on the eyes in terms of brightness. If the new white is not your thing please give that one a shot. After a few days or a week I will merge this thread into the feedback thread but really wanted to get this info out there since people were asking about the white in terms of brightness as well as the need to trim down the member info on the left side of the screen.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
When in the darker skin, my signature picture doesn't show up.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Trimming down the member info has helped a lot. However, on a PC I find the darker view difficult to read. I'll provide more details of what I'm seeing...

Here is the legacy view. Note that the Member pane is in gray and the text box is very wide compared to the white panel on the right. This is fairly easy to read and easy on the eyes.

Here is the current "New" look. Note that while the colors are generally the same, the white panel on the right is much larger and the text box is smaller, making it hard to read. Also note that the page number panel sits on top of each view taking up more space. The focus in the field of view is the post folks are trying to read and the more that's in the field, the smaller and more difficult to read the subject is.

Here is the "Darker" version. While it reduces some of the contrast between the text panel and the member info, the large white panel on the right is still too large. Also, the lower contrast within the text pane makes it hard to read. The lower contrast works in the Member info pane because folks aren't really interested in that nor trying to read a large amount on info from it (lower contrast=diminished importance on a page). This effectively causes your eye to instinctively be drawn to the brighter right panel creating distraction.

Here is my own modified "hybrid" version for consideration. I think it incorporates the best qualities and reduces the less favorable ones.

Just my $.02 :smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When in the darker skin, my signature picture doesn't show up.
There are a couple bugs in the new system I have found as well. Report them to AG Jeff. They will get fixed. The forum tech guys are redoing a ton of the forums in the network so they are a bit swamped trying to fix them all.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trimming down the member info has helped a lot. However, on a PC I find the darker view difficult to read. I'll provide more details of what I'm seeing...

Here is the legacy view. Note that the Member pane is in gray and the text box is very wide compared to the white panel on the right. This is fairly easy to read and easy on the eyes.

Here is the current "New" look. Note that while the colors are generally the same, the white panel on the right is much larger and the text box is smaller, making it hard to read. Also note that the page number panel sits on top of each view taking up more space. The focus in the field of view is the post folks are trying to read and the more that's in the field, the smaller and more difficult to read the subject is.

Here is the "Darker" version. While it reduces some of the contrast between the text panel and the member info, the large white panel on the right is still too large. Also, the lower contrast within the text pane makes it hard to read. The lower contrast works in the Member info pane because folks aren't really interested in that nor trying to read a large amount on info from it (lower contrast=diminished importance on a page). This effectively causes your eye to instinctively be drawn to the brighter right panel creating distraction.

Here is my own modified "hybrid" version for consideration. I think it incorporates the best qualities and reduces the less favorable ones.

Just my $.02 :smile2:
My gray area stretches from edge to edge on my screen. I have a mac so maybe safari is different but I am not even close to having the messed up look you have.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@AG Jeff Aside from all of the buttons being missing from advanced post view I have noticed that the current skins don't run any contrast between a person's post and text they may have quoted. There is a box surrounding the quoted text but it used to be a different color as well.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts

Very weird, Dave. I don't see the bar on the right of the screen at all. I'm running Firefox 32.0.3 with AdBlockPlus. I checked in IE11 as well and don't have the right hand blank area.

I do, however, still have a large gray space at the top of every page.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I switched back to the legacy skin. Really like the old style.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Very weird, Dave. I don't see the bar on the right of the screen at all. I'm running Firefox 32.0.3 with AdBlockPlus. I checked in IE11 as well and don't have the right hand blank area.

I do, however, still have a large gray space at the top of every page.
That's where the ad would be if you weren't running Adblock. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks the darker skin is much, much easier on the eyes!

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right? That is exactly what we were going for. Glad you like it.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I have mad a distinct point of using each Forum view option for an entire evening before deciding if it is useful or not (in other words, "does it make me crazy" to use it).

After a few nights of testing, I have decided that (for me) all are suitable and none are intolerable to work with.

IMHO, the change of reducing the member information made the biggest impact and all of the view options are now ok to work with.

My only real complaint is the large white pane on the right of my screen where the "Recent Discussions" panel is pinned and I really wish it was at the bottom of the screen instead like it was before the changes were made.

I also would like if the "attach file" window would resize to the viewing pane like it used to when trying to attach images (I keep mentioning this, but the admins haven't acknowledged it as an issue). I have learned to adapt to the fact that it doesn't...but that doesn't really make it "user friendly". The image sizing also still remains as an issue in various views.

I am more than happy to actively engage in PM discussions with the Admins on what I see and what the issues are if they so choose.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think supporting members are supposed to see ads.

·
Administrator
766 Posts
@AG Jeff Aside from all of the buttons being missing from advanced post view I have noticed that the current skins don't run any contrast between a person's post and text they may have quoted. There is a box surrounding the quoted text but it used to be a different color as well.
10-4, looking into this.

Should be able to tweak it if needed.

Advanced buttons should be back.

Jeff

·
Administrator
766 Posts
I have mad a distinct point of using each Forum view option for an entire evening before deciding if it is useful or not (in other words, "does it make me crazy" to use it).

After a few nights of testing, I have decided that (for me) all are suitable and none are intolerable to work with.

IMHO, the change of reducing the member information made the biggest impact and all of the view options are now ok to work with.

My only real complaint is the large white pane on the right of my screen where the "Recent Discussions" panel is pinned and I really wish it was at the bottom of the screen instead like it was before the changes were made.

I also would like if the "attach file" window would resize to the viewing pane like it used to when trying to attach images (I keep mentioning this, but the admins haven't acknowledged it as an issue). I have learned to adapt to the fact that it doesn't...but that doesn't really make it "user friendly". The image sizing also still remains as an issue in various views.

I am more than happy to actively engage in PM discussions with the Admins on what I see and what the issues are if they so choose.
I welcome your input!

PM or post up details and we can work on it. Screen shots help so I can get the team something to work with.

If you prefer to email just send me a PM and I will get you my contact info.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10-4, looking into this.

Should be able to tweak it if needed.

Advanced buttons should be back.

Jeff
Yes all buttons have returned. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts