Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://jalopnik.com/idiot-street-racers-blamed-for-massive-freeway-wreck-th-1761946621

This wreck was a big story in LA this week seeing as it shut down a major freeway for a whole day. Two innocent teenagers and an innocent truck driver are dead due to the selfishness and stupidity of a pair of Mopar drivers who decided to face off on a busy highway.

This is so sad and disgusting that it seems trivial to look at it from this point of view, but I also hate how this makes car lovers look and drivers of Dodge muscle cars in particular. Just a month or so ago a friend of a friend was killed by daytime street racers elsewhere in LA. I'm such a fan of cool fast cars and car chase/race movies and it makes me sick that the things I love are also inspiring idiots to do things that kill innocent bystanders.

·
Registered
858 Posts
That's so horrific and sad...I'll admit I've indulged the occasional flooring-it off of a red light with nothing in front of me, but that's it, I don't even go much over the speed limit if at all over before letting off. Racing down a highway (especially a LA highway from what I've heard & read) like that is beyond stupid.

My favorite Mopar story is when I was stuck behind a ton of slow movers along with a souped-up SRT challenger on the freeway, sometimes he would get ahead of me, sometimes me ahead of him, he finally got an opening and blasted away, with myself pulling up the rear. But we were both being safe, passing when safe to do so, etc, and he only hit it when we got up to the last couple of cars with a clear opening.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's a very sad reality. I just found out that my uncle grew up playing ball with that UPS driver. According to what my mom was told, he burned alive :(

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is very sad to read. I've done some street races before but mine were all country roads that are rarely travelled. I guess that is one of the perks of growing up in the country. The moment you become over confident is the moment you make a mistake, it is just sad to see others were involved in the mistake.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Believe it or not but the Challenger driver has been in jail since the wreck, more than 3 years, and has recently accepted a plea deal with a sentence of 22 years.

Sounds like a good sentence and hope he serves most of it.

They never did find the other driver he was racing, he was in a Charger and fled the scene.

https://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-dealio-lockhart-sentence-20190412-story.html

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts