Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anyone else has thought this. The first day I had the car as soon as they gave me the key I was like "DAMN, that's one big ass key." Well I also realized it was sharp as hell too and fortunately for me I was careful from the very beginning. I have a technique that I pretty much do automatically which is keep the key in my hand with my hand closed in a fist like shape when entering my car and exiting my car.

This may sound crazy but that key is pretty sharp and I could just see one day rushing in or out of my car and slicing my leather seats or steering wheel or console ...etc.

I'm curious if anyone else has thought this and if anyone has actually sliced any of their interior with their key? I doubt this is something someone would want to admit but I'm glad I spontaneously keep my key clutched when entering or exiting. My last car was a Laredo and the key was easily half the size and not nearly as sharp.

I was also curious with all the mods, etc. there are these days if there isn't a way to get a "FOLD IN KEY" kind of like Lexus and Mercedez, and some other manufacturer's have? I was just curious if there are any places that could actually MAKE a fold in key -- because of my method I doubt i'd buy one, i'm just curious.

Anyone else make sure they're real careful with the key?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just make sure the key isn't in the hand that's opening/closing the door. I'm afraid of scratching the paint with it. But it's never come close to hitting the leather.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
No question the key and even the fob is HUGE, but it's not an issue for me. I hold the key in my right hand and open the door with my left.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I just leave the key in the car.....

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LMAO --- good response Flex..lmao.

Yeah, I guess there are still parts on Earth where you can leave your doors unlocked and your keys in your car -- just nowhere i've ever seen. :cool:

Actually, that is a good point about leaving the key in the car -- because when I went to get my windows tinted I was paranoid as hell the guy was gonna just slice something with that key -- that damn thing is like a deadly weapon ..lol...but seriously -- I told the guy please make sure you're careful and I even KEPT the key in the car for when he drove it around back -- he said thanks for the heads up and once he saw the key he understood where I was coming from.

Seriously, I bet there are members here that have sliced their steering wheel good and or their seats -- I don't know if anyone will admit it but I'm glad I'm almost robotic like in keeping the key in my hand clutched up.

On another note, is there anywhere that would custom make a 'FOLD IN' key for our Chargers?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Based on the thread title, I thought this might be about scrotal damage...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Shoot, I put a nasty scratch on the right side of the driver door handle with the key. I had it in my hand and when I turned, it scrapped. D'oh. It was easily conseable with the factory touch up paint, but didn't completely remove it. I have a group that comes to my work about once a month that removes scratches. Probably just have them fix it.

But there ya go; someone (i.e. ME) is careless enough to damage their baby with that damn machete of a key.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts

Yeah, I guess there are still parts on Earth where you can leave your doors unlocked and your keys in your car -- just nowhere i've ever seen. :cool:
I used to think this was the place (Canada), but I learned the hard way: several times.

I had an '80 vette had a messed up ignition. If I didn't turn the key back all the way, I could still take the key out, but then I could start the car without putting the key back in. Luckily it was never stolen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Based on the thread title, I thought this might be about scrotal damage...
another topic altogether....but equally (if not more) important. What do you think? Should we draft a letter to Dodge requesting more "Scrotum-safe" Key fob designs?

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
um, don't all Chargers come with remote entry. and what the hell is this talk about scrotal damage? from a car key? stop it. stop it now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
keep car key fob separate from your other keys...

plus, that added weight on the ignition switch is not helpful either...

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I had an '80 vette had a messed up ignition. If I didn't turn the key back all the way, I could still take the key out, but then I could start the car without putting the key back in. Luckily it was never stolen.
I think it's an issue with the worn out keys. I can pull the key out of my 78's ignition without having to turn the car off. You've got me thinking it would be a good test of the spare set of keys I had cut back when I bought the car in 2000. (Of course, I don't know if the key was already overly worn back then and hence the new set would be cut to the same worn dimensions, LOL!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had an 08 as a rental car and they do not have a key just this funky plastic thing you stick in the dash. Maybe someone at DCX is listening??? Or maybe some executive actually recieved "scrotal damage"????

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
LOL. Where do you live? I'd love a spare Charger...:lol:

Actually, that is a good point about leaving the key in the car -- because when I went to get my windows tinted I was paranoid as hell the guy was gonna just slice something with that key -- that damn thing is like a deadly weapon ..lol...but seriously -- I told the guy please make sure you're careful and I even KEPT the key in the car for when he drove it around back -- he said thanks for the heads up and once he saw the key he understood where I was coming from.

Seriously, I bet there are members here that have sliced their steering wheel good and or their seats -- I don't know if anyone will admit it but I'm glad I'm almost robotic like in keeping the key in my hand clutched up.

On another note, is there anywhere that would custom make a 'FOLD IN' key for our Chargers?
I didn't say I left it unlocked. I have mobile security that when engaged, won't allow the vehicle to start even with the key present. I also have anti-theft protection that prevents unauthorized access to the security system controls. It's called a .45.

Never try to take another man's buttered bread...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well, look at the upside to having a long key: you could jam it into a bad guy's eye socket if you had to and possibly into their brain.:D

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
lol the key is so sharp i use it at work to cut boxes lol does a good job lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The ignition key from my '71 Buick Skylark was so worn that it was razor thin. I ended up having a copy made because I was afraid it would snap off. 17 years of service in the door as well as the ignition wore it down quite a bit!

That key, and a "Skylark by Buick" badge from the grill are all that I have left...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Key Mod?

I also dislike the size of the key. I noticed the tiny screw at the bottom of the remote and unscrewed it and took the remote apart hoping the screw was what held the key portion into the remote. However the key seems to be molded into the plastic and won't come out easily. I was thinking make a copy of the key on a regular blank and pull or cut the key off of the remote to make a smaller package. You'd still have to carry both but it wouldn't be so long.
Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts