Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
08 Daytona 190k miles
Ive been using full synthetic ( royal purple, vavoline, mobile 1, and on this last oil change amzoil) for the pass 100k miles, maybe more.

When I check my oil im noticing that i have to add 1 to 3 quarts of oil. I changed out the PCV thinking that it stuck open or something. Car ran a lot better but still losing oil.
There is no leak or oil on the ground where i park my car over night.

Do you guys think it could be the amzoil? or could there be something more serious wrong with the car?

Ive always did my own oil changes regularly.

Also, was thinking about changing the oil and trying out the Ultra Pennzoil Platinum

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
08 Daytona 190k miles
Ive been using full synthetic ( royal purple, vavoline, mobile 1, and on this last oil change amzoil) for the pass 100k miles, maybe more.

When I check my oil im noticing that i have to add 1 to 3 quarts of oil. I changed out the PCV thinking that it stuck open or something. Car ran a lot better but still losing oil.

Do you guys think it could be the amzoil? or could there be something more serious wrong with the car?

Also, was thinking about changing the oil and trying out the Ultra Pennzoil Platinum
Here is your problem. You have been using very small molecule PAO based synthetics in your car.....RP is full of Molybdenum Disulfide which acts like grinding powder over time.

Whether it is Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, Quaker Q, RP, Valvoline.....they are all PAO oils and with the mileage you have on the car now you are going to see more usage because of the wear that they allow.

Remember too about the volatility of these oils is at 15% by volume.

This means that in a quart of oil....4.8 oz of each quart is going to turn to vapor and go out your PCV valve. With increased wear over time you will see this trend get worse.

In a quart of QuantumBlue you have .96 oz of reactivity. Our QB is 1.5 to 3% reactive not 15% or more!

The only thing I can tell you is we could try a QuantumBlue Custom Blend and increase the molecule size along with using some ACES IV and try to seal the rings and valves. We have done this for a few thousand people on this forum and have had success doing so. Going to Pennzoil will not stop or address anything you are experiencing.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
I'd like to see you change the oil and do an oil analysis. That will pretty quickly tell you if you're starting to wear some components.

Few more details would help, how many miles on the oil change, are you seeing any blue smoke on startup?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, at that mileage it's normal to start losing oil. I lose about a quart in between oil changes and I only have 98k miles.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Chrysler states that losing up to 1 quart every 1000 miles is considered "normal".

My 6.1L only loses about 8-10 oz every 5000 miles. My last run was 12 oz after 6428 miles.

For the OP, if the oil loss suddenly happened after the recent switch to Amsoil, I suggest changing it out ASAP and using one of the other products you have historical experience with to see if it returns to the previous consumption rates.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
08 Daytona 190k miles

wjason,

Great to talk to you about your issue. Your materials are on their way to you and should be there by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

Please keep me informed how they do once you get the Amsoil out. With all the driving you are doing, you will see the QuantumBlue technology kick in pretty quick.....usually within about 100 to 200 miles anyway.

Thanks again for the order!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts