Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my PP luck got me again..

So I was at a ford dealership looking for a truck for my buddy dan, and one of the employees was driving a company car and backed in to my car (a car they were selling). The escape had no damage and had a hard, plastic bumper.

My gap around my tail lights, gap between trunk and bumper, gap on the side (the seperate of bumper plastic and metal) and a small chip are all the damage. The bumper was also pushed to the right ever so slightly. Problem is, as a show car this will not fly.

At first they were cool with fixing it... I got a police report, talked to State Farm (my agent is in tomorrow)

The guy who hit me proceeded to lick his finger and whipe off what we thought may be scratches... and I told him to stop. he goes we'll take it right in to get touched up... uhh no Rockstars auto is the only company that touches my paint (sponsor). And it doesn't need touched up the chip needs to be painted (show car, not every day vehicle).

Anyways he disapeared and I spoke with sales manager who said they'd make it right.

When the cop arrived they were closed for busienss and no one could be found, but I had the guy who hit my car's name and business card.

The folliwing day I showed up, and the ****head that hit my car had the nerve to tell me he DIDNT hit my car.

The other manager came and told me theres no way the escape did this to my car, since it was only going 5-10 MPH. I said you're not a body guy, and you're not an adjuster, and it was perfect before it was struck. You have no business telling me what it did or did not do.

Finally, after demeaning me and talking down to me I flipped out and started yelling and the customers heard what happened, and he quickly wanted me to shut up, and sweet talked me (told me he would contact HIS insurance about it)

They're saying they'll make it right, but saying it was already damaged.

What can I do? It was NOT already damaged. I am pending on my insurance, and their insurance called me today.

What should I do/not do at this point? My father is a busienss man.. more so than I so he decided he's going up tomorrow to make some things clear (no threats or aggression, just letting them know this "punk kid" has some backup and experience with this stuff).

Anyway this really sucks.. the chip is TINY but was NOT there before, and just because it shows "little" damage on the outside, we don't know what lies under the bumper.

Anyway, advice and help?

Thanks in advance guys, you've always been great!

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. Hindsight being 20/20 you should have had him sign a statement on the spot especially because it was a stealership. You also could have taken pics with that snazzy new iPhone of yours. From here on it's hard to say. Someone will have an idea I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Sry to hear about your luck Jason.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Steal a giant earthmover and flatten their inventory?

No ideas here but good luck on getting it fixed the way you want it.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that. You need to get a good lawyer and fast! I hate to say it but you need a real shark that is gonna take big wet bites out of their a**! This is a show car, they damaged it, and you need someone that is going to latch on to them like a pitbull with lockjaw and not let go until you shake every penny they rightfully owe you out of their hide. Repairs, rental costs, legal fees etc. They are going to be slippery and try every trick in the book. Dealing with you directly is their first tactic to get you to make a mistake and hold you off. Don't let your father talk to them and you need to put a sharp lawyer up between you and them that has seen every trick in the book and knows how to make them pay.

Trust me on this one, you need a professional shark doing your talking!

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really sorry to hear that. You need to get a good lawyer and fast! I hate to say it but you need a real shark that is gonna take big wet bites out of their a**! This is a show car, they damaged it, and you need someone that is going to latch on to them like a pitbull with lockjaw and not let go until you shake every penny they rightfully owe you out of their hide. Repairs, rental costs, legal fees etc. They are going to be slippery and try every trick in the book. Dealing with you directly is their first tactic to get you to make a mistake and hold you off. Don't let your father talk to them and you need to put a sharp lawyer up between you and them that has seen every trick in the book and knows how to make them pay.

Trust me on this one, you need a professional shark doing your talking!
problem is as a college student I have no money for a lawyer, and my father is losing his job, and he also has no money to pay a lawyer. :(

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
problem is as a college student I have no money for a lawyer, and my father is losing his job, and he also has no money to pay a lawyer. :(
That's one of the myths about lawyers. Many will consult with you without charging a dime and many will do the work on a commission basis where they only get paid out of your settlement. That's what I meant about having them pay legal fees. Call a few, you have nothing to lose.

Your insurance comapny will also often act as your advocate (lawyer) if you make a claim with them when another party is at fault they assume the burden of making the other party pay. Talk to your agent/adjuster. If you are making a claim against your insurance and blaming the other party they may be able to help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
damn Jason that sux bro!!!

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's one of the myths about lawyers. Many will consult with you without charging a dime and many will do the work on a commission basis where they only get paid out of your settlement. That's what I meant about having them pay legal fees. Call a few, you have nothing to lose.

Your insurance comapny will also often act as your advocate (lawyer) if you make a claim with them when another party is at fault they assume the burden of making the other party pay. Talk to your agent/adjuster. If you are making a claim against your insurance and blaming the other party they may be able to help.

Good luck!
that is in the works! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
THAT SUX!!
If the guy left the scene...isn't that hit & run? isn't he obligated to stay there until the police arrive? I'm just say'n....

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THAT SUX!!
If the guy left the scene...isn't that hit & run? isn't he obligated to stay there until the police arrive? I'm just say'n....
he gav eme his card so the cop didn't consider it a hit and ru,a lthough I agree technically it was..

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
he gav eme his card so the cop didn't consider it a hit and ru,a lthough I agree technically it was..
That is so weak. So officer, I hit his car yeaterday and gave my business card to him so I could go home but after sleeping on it....I didn't hit his car hard enough do do that damage. HUH?

Please say that you had a camera with you and took pics with a time & date stamp? Or, at the very least took pics while you were there with your new phone.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is so weak. So officer, I hit his car yeaterday and gave my business card to him so I could go home but after sleeping on it....I didn't hit his car hard enough do do that damage. HUH?

Please say that you had a camera with you and took pics with a time & date stamp? Or, at the very least took pics while you were there with your new phone.
I have pics but they were not the same day of the accident.

Not that it matters I have pics of the gaps being perfect prior to going there. ;)

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
584 Posts
One major thing almost all car dealers SHOULD have, is a security camera. They use it to watch the cars. Tell them you are alerting the authorities, and let the police know they have surveillance videos (im almost 100 percent positive they do with a inventory that big). The police will look at the video and they will pay the damages. They wont want a law suit against you, since they will lose. If you have any more questions let me know in a PM. my dad was a police officer for over 30 years.

hope you get it resolved.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
Where I'm at, parking lots aren't treated like general road surfaces. So things like hit & run aren't necessarily as strictly enforced. That may play into this drama.

As has been alluded to, many lawyers will offer a free consult to discuss the basics of a case and see if there are grounds for continuing. Then some who are confident of success will operate on a portion of the settlement.

That being said, this is all coming down to a he said/he said situation, which may not be strong enough for litigation. On your side is the fact that you stuck around waiting for the police while they didn't. Also, the fact that you've got a show car is pretty indicative that you're likely to track every scratch, nick, and ding. Someone coincidentally backing a vehicle into yours and you finding damage you didn't already know about is highly unlikely. Finally, the fact that you had recent major paint work done helps. It's a stretch of the imagination that you'd do what you did but left damage to your side.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Damn Jason...sorry to hear that bro!! I half to agree with gladiator on the stealership part. Not to jack your tread, but i just quit my first and last car salesman position due to all the shady chit they do. I was there less than 45 days and you could make more money flippn friggn burgers at Micky D`s...and i sold 12 cars befor i quit. The biggest check i got was a pittafull 350 bucks! I saw cars come in damaged....as in 2 of the 4 2SS`S camaro`s which they ordered with the GM 21 inch wheel package and then the dirtbags kept both sets of stock wheels and sold em sepertatly...god i hope it dawns on the owners to come back and ask for there stock wheels which they already paid for! I also witnessed 2 cars get damaged in service and they said they never touched it. Bottom line is that all stealerships ars peices of chit....not only to customers, but staff aswell!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
sorry to hear about this jason! your car is one of the cleanest on here, I'm sure it was an accident but sorry its turned into more. I wish you the best of luck on this whole deal!

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Where I'm at, parking lots aren't treated like general road surfaces. So things like hit & run aren't necessarily as strictly enforced. That may play into this drama.

As has been alluded to, many lawyers will offer a free consult to discuss the basics of a case and see if there are grounds for continuing. Then some who are confident of success will operate on a portion of the settlement.

That being said, this is all coming down to a he said/he said situation, which may not be strong enough for litigation. On your side is the fact that you stuck around waiting for the police while they didn't. Also, the fact that you've got a show car is pretty indicative that you're likely to track every scratch, nick, and ding. Someone coincidentally backing a vehicle into yours and you finding damage you didn't already know about is highly unlikely. Finally, the fact that you had recent major paint work done helps. It's a stretch of the imagination that you'd do what you did but left damage to your side.

Good luck.
Parking lots back home are the same way....considered private property

1 - 20 of 30 Posts