Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help deciding between a AWD R/T or a SRT8. I can afford either one however I am concerned about having to drive the SRT8 everyday. For all you SRT8 owners how is this car as a daily driver??

We get snow a few times a year and several mornings with ice or frost on the roads. I have read the threads about snow tires for the SRT8 but what about driving in the snow with the stock tires? The AWD would be great in the winter but I'm not sure it is worth giving up the SRT8 for a few days a year?!?! I thought about getting a SRT8 Grand Cherokee but I already have a GC with the 5.7l so I would like to get a sedan.

I have also heard the SRT8 is a rougher ride that the R/T's. How much worse is the ride? I have driven the R/T and it seems normal but I have not found a dealer to test drive the SRT8.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I heard that the SRT's are undriveable in the snow
The RWD R/Ts are capable in the snow, my AWD R/T is very capable in the snow

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just moved back to the mountains in Western NC. We get snow a few times a year here too. I also have an 02 Mazda Tribute, so I will drive that on really bad days. If you use manual shift you can start off in second gear, as for how well the tires work in this weather I don't know. I did have a Z06 Vette the last time I lived here and drove it on all but the worst days.

As far as the ride the only time I noticed it really being rough is when I had 4 adults and my baby. Nothing too bad, just noticed it more.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just drove 90 freeway miles in the rain with moderate traffic and lots of mist flying around. My Magnum R/T AWD handled confidently in the rain. There were spots where I was able to go 100mph without any fear. It's not just snow but you have to consider rain as well. I love my AWD.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just drove 90 freeway miles in the rain with moderate traffic and lots of mist flying around. My Magnum AWD handled confidently in the rain. There were spots where I was able to go 100mph without any fear. It's not just snow but rain as well you have to consider for AWD.
The SRT8 has no problems in the rain. Driven in major rain with no problems at all!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I need some help deciding between a AWD R/T or a SRT8. I can afford either one however I am concerned about having to drive the SRT8 everyday. For all you SRT8 owners how is this car as a daily driver??

We get snow a few times a year and several mornings with ice or frost on the roads.
I have also heard the SRT8 is a rougher ride that the R/T's. How much worse is the ride? I have driven the R/T and it seems normal but I have not found a dealer to test drive the SRT8.

Thanks for the help.
If you are a car enthusiast that lives in a non-snowbound climate, you will be kicking yourself for not getting the SRT8, or you'll be trading in for one soon. How many American sedans come stock with over 400HP and great handling..... NONE. Get one of these awesome machines, and drive the truck on the 3 snowy days per year......Don't sweat the ride, it is not so very rough, just firm.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The SRT has been my daily driver since January...it's the best and fastest daily driver I've ever owned.

Ride's a little stiffer than the R/T but well worth a little pain.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I heard that the SRT's are undriveable in the snow
The RWD R/Ts are capable in the snow, my AWD R/T is very capable in the snow
Incorrect

Me and the SRT8 have been through 20 inch snowstorms

Get the SRT8 - it is much more rewarding to drive.

But the spend the money at Tire Rack on a second set of wheels and Pirelli SCorpions or Blizzaks

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Where are you? We had snow maybe 3 days last year. On those three days, we took the wifes 99 Blazer, but with proper caution, I would have had no qyalms about taking the -8 to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in Bend Oregon. It is high desert (3500') and we usually get a winter storm 3-5 times a year that leaves 4-6" of snow. It is below freezing for long periods of time so this snow can last for a week or so.

I was thinking of getting a POS subaru or something to drive in the winter so I wouldn't have to spend $2k on snow tires and wheels.

BTW Tire rack says you can put 18" wheels on the SRT8. I thought the brakes where too big to run tires smaller than the 20"??? If you can in fact put 18" wheels on this car it really opens up the options for snow tires.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Incorrect

Me and the SRT8 have been through 20 inch snowstorms

Get the SRT8 - it is much more rewarding to drive.

But the spend the money at Tire Rack on a second set of wheels and Pirelli SCorpions or Blizzaks
wow
post of the day?

·
Registered
502 Posts

We get snow a few times a year and several mornings with ice or frost on the roads. I have read the threads about snow tires for the SRT8 but what about driving in the snow with the stock tires? The AWD would be great in the winter but I'm not sure it is worth giving up the SRT8 for a few days a year?!?! I thought about getting a SRT8 Grand Cherokee but I already have a GC with the 5.7l so I would like to get a sedan.

Thanks for the help.
I had the same thoughts before buying my SRT8. Mine has the RSA tires and with the esp and traction control it isn't too bad to drive in the snow. What really turned me off about the AWD R/T is that it is not available with the R&T package. Once you sit in the SRT's or R&T seats you won't want the AWD.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
yea i would just stick with the srt8 as well. I mean whats the worse that can happen, you get a lot of snow and you can't get to work...awww i guess that means you get a day off :).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Go with the SRT... Like most of us have said, who cares about the three-five days you get a year... Maybe in a couple of years, if they are around, I will pick up and srt8. That is why I am only sticking with bolt ons for now. But definately if you can afford it, go SRT over AWD...

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Drove mine through the winter last year - definitely no problems. Get the RSAs standard or a set of scorpions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts