Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Charger 5.7L Hemi and when reved up, black stuff comes out of the tail pipe. Also noticed that makes a rattling when I start to go and seems to have the power but the rattling scares me, that it could be something else.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Where's the rattling sound coming from? A loose exhaust system can cause rattling and is a simple fix. Rattling coming from inside the engine is a different situation. The black stuff coming out the tailpipe is probably soot. Does it feel sooty to the touch? This would be due to the fuel injection (fuel trim) being too rich (unburned fuel). Plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port (under the dash on driver side next to the parking brake pedal) and see if any codes are being logged. A scanner that displays real-time data can be used to show the fuel trims and identify which cylinders/injectors are running rich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where's the rattling sound coming from? A loose exhaust system can cause rattling and is a simple fix. Rattling coming from inside the engine is a different situation. The black stuff coming out the tailpipe is probably soot. Does it feel sooty to the touch? This would be due to the fuel injection (fuel trim) being too rich (unburned fuel). Plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port (under the dash on driver side next to the parking brake pedal) and see if any codes are being logged. A scanner that displays real-time data can be used to show the fuel trims and identify which cylinders/injectors are running rich.
Thank you very much. When I step on the gas pedal it takes off quick, but the sound is like having exhaust coming out of the front somewhere, like a volkswagon bug sound. Can one injector be pin pointed to make sure its that one? I have a scanner and showed a code of evap a leak somewhere, can that be causing it? Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
What was the Evap code (e.g. P0440)?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
JS:
From the other thread you have started, I see your Charger is an '07 R/T.
How many miles on it? From your description, the noise you are hearing sounds like an exhaust leak. An EVAP leak (which you may also have) would be very different.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Charger 5.7L Hemi and when reved up, black stuff comes out of the tail pipe. Also noticed that makes a rattling when I start to go and seems to have the power but the rattling scares me, that it could be something else.
The rattle is engine miss fire related to black exhaust
Have profetional coo it for u

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm thinking you may not want to be driving the car now...From description of black smoke...you are poisoning the cats....Gonna clog soon, gonna costs $$ IMO...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Ol*Geezer2018
Charger Forums
ChargerForums to connect with the Dodge Charger community to discuss SRT, Hellcat models, maintenance, mods and more.
Full Forum Listing