Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
They should have compared it to the R/T. Similar performance and price point.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This current little performance war we have going is interesting in that we're all over the map. There are no direct competitors here - the SS slots in between the R/T and SRT, the SRT is not quite an M or AMG, etc.

The SS has two things going for it that will never see me in one - the styling really sucks (they should have kept the Holden styling), and it's a GM. I don't think they can put a cardboard box together properly, let alone a car.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Like I have said, the handling on the SRT8s really needs to get upgraded.

Two things killed it, high price and mediocre handling.

Perhaps the Super Bee would have been a better comparison

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Highs:

A Hemi V-8, classic Mopar ’tude, user-friendly controls.
Lows:

Brutal ride, feels massive, muted steering, can get expensive.
Verdict:

A retro powerhouse proudly short on grace.

An overly stiff suspension carries the bulk. Body roll is tolerable and the adjustable dampers give tight control with auto, sport, and track settings, but all the choices are excessively firm. The stiff legs unsettle the chassis over sections of road that didn’t faze the Chevrolet. Along with hydraulically assisted steering that’s somehow less communicative than the SS’s electric setup, the Charger is a blunt weapon that feels large and detached in rough use.
The Dodge Charger SRT8 offers drivers a plain-spoken layout, easy-to-understand infotainment, and seats of purest butterscotch.

Despite the intuitive touch screen, heated-and-cooled cup holders, and adaptive cruise control, the Dodge’s inferiority creeps into its cabin like a haze of burnt rubber. Some of us preferred a few of the interi*or-trim finishes and liked the comfort and support of the thickly bolstered SRT seats, but overall material quality and refinement fall short of the overachieving Chevy’s.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
They should have compared it to the R/T. Similar performance and price point.
The R/T would have lost every category with the 5.7

The Super Bee may have been the most competitive

Chrysler really needs new suspension engineers

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
275s in the rear for the Chevy versus tiny 245s for the Dodge is another problem

I would buy the Charger

Leave off some of the expensive options and instead upgrade the tires to 255 up front and 275s in the rear

and make it black please

bigger, faster, and better MPG
especially when the 8 speed debuts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Seem's like a pretty biased comparison from my reading. They let the SS beat out the Charger in *Performance* even though it was completely subjective. Which is why I don't let any articles like these have any overall affect on my opinion.

They gave more points to the SS for rear comfort, despite the fact there is less room in the back than the Charger? They knocked down points for transmission, despite equal gas mileage and better performance out of the Charger? I know some people think the 5 speed's are some kind of dinosaurs in the automotive world, but they still work fine IMO.

Perhaps I am just missing the point, maybe i'll test drive an SS if I ever see on actually at a dealer and see for myself, but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What's GM's plan for the Holden RWD chassis after the closure of the Australian plants? Is that going to be the end of the Caprice? It's obvious they are not trying to sell too many of the SS here with the rigid pricing and packaging.

bigger, faster, and better MPG
especially when the 8 speed debuts
But that won't happen until at least MY2015, right?

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Seem's like a pretty biased comparison from my reading. They let the SS beat out the Charger in *Performance* even though it was completely subjective. Which is why I don't let any articles like these have any overall affect on my opinion.

They gave more points to the SS for rear comfort, despite the fact there is less room in the back than the Charger? They knocked down points for transmission, despite equal gas mileage and better performance out of the Charger? I know some people think the 5 speed's are some kind of dinosaurs in the automotive world, but they still work fine IMO.

Perhaps I am just missing the point, maybe i'll test drive an SS if I ever see on actually at a dealer and see for myself, but I have my doubts.
Totally agree on this being a very biased comparison!

How do you give the SS a big edge in styling? I am not the biggest fan of the 2nd gen Charger SRT8 styling but at least it HAS styling!

The SS looks like a Lumina on steroids - ugly

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
I saw the Chevrolet SS in a dealership when I stopped by to visit a friend!

It caught my eye, but I would choose a Charger SRT8 over that ANYDAY!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I saw the Chevrolet SS in a delaership when I stopped by to visit a friend!

It caught my eye, but I would choose a Charger SRT8 over that ANYDAY!
I would get a Charger R/T over it as well and spend the price difference on power and suspension upgrades

I have seen some really nice looking R/Ts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I like how the article bashes the handling of the SRT compared to the SS but doesnt take into a fair account that the SRT weighs over 400lbs more. Lets tack on another 400lbs to the SS and see how it handles. It pulled .95G's to the SRT's .90G's on the skid pad, 400lbs would make a difference. The SRT also stopped shorter and it's heavier. Also a [email protected] vs [email protected] is getting your butt kicked in drag racing by a lot.So in the real world of normal car guys where most of us reside and run each other stop light to stop light he SRT eats this thing alive. The SS also has a 3.27 rear final drive to the SRT's 3.06 final drive and considerable more weight. This is a typical Car and Driver dodge bashing article, just like MT, and R&T usually do. They also gave the SS more styling points, thats just too funny!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Like I have said, the handling on the SRT8s really needs to get upgraded.

Two things killed it, high price and mediocre handling.

Perhaps the Super Bee would have been a better comparison
You really hate the new KMopar vehicles don't you? You take every chance you can get to say how much they suck, even going as far as to quote obviously biased magazine reviews to support your hatred.

it did need one less foot to stop from 70 mph (in a short 152 feet). It almost tied the SS’s speed in our slalom test and returned the same 17-mpg average during our 700-mile road trip.
[sarcasm]Obviously the handling needs work because weighing 450lbs heavier it almost matched the lighter car in handling.[/sarcasm]

Although the 6.2-liter small-block is down 55 horsepower to the big Hemi, the Chevy’s lighter weight and better traction make it easier to launch at the test track and just as quick as its rival out in the real world. The 12.9-second quarter-mile pass is a solid performance.
Proof the article is biased, trying to sugar coat the slower performance of the Chevy by talking around the fact that the 450lb lighter car can't make up for the 55hp difference in performance despite having a "superior" transmission to the Dodge. And the larger heavier Dodge that can't handle nearly matches the Chevy in the slalom.

To any informed unbiased reader they will be able to read through the bull**** and realize the Dodge SRT8 is the better car all around.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I have a cousin that has the Camaro and I feel the ride is better in the Charger. I don't know how the Goodyear F1s are, but my 07 had Goodyear RSAs on it and those tires were awful, replaced them with Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs and the Charger handled a lot better.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have a cousin that has the Camaro and I feel the ride is better in the Charger. I don't know how the Goodyear F1s are, but my 07 had Goodyear RSAs on it and those tires were awful, replaced them with Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs and the Charger handled a lot better.
I have Eagle RSA2 on mine, and the steering/handling is very responsive. There isn't really much feedback in the steering wheel, but I've surprised a few people with the responsiveness of this car. As for the ride, well I think it rides very well. I like the firmer suspension.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts

This isn't the Camaro, it's the Chevrolet SS.

Like the last gen. GTO, one of the cars that blend in, then smoke you.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts