Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hate to do it! Bring up yet ANOTHER reso delete post, however, after 30 minutes of turning over rocks on this forum I couldn't find anything that answered my question. Most everybody else's posts were about the R/T or the SRT engines. I found a few on the V6, but this question was never answered.Don't stone me please, here we go.

I have a 3,5l V6 charger, and I was wondering if I could just take an angle grinder and chop of the rear resonator (right behind the exhaust tip). I'm hoping my engine will be a bit louder, but my main question is, WILL THIS NEGATIVELY AFFECT MY ENGINE PERFORMANCE? I know that you need backpressure or whatnot, so what I'd like to know, is it safe to do this "mod"?

Also will there be any negative impacts of not having my tail pipe extend past the body? (since I'm just going to chop it off).
My plans are to install flowmaster 10s in a few months or so.

I'm aware of the "awful" drone associated with the reso removal.

Thank you guys!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
so i have the 3.5L V6. A year after i got the car i cut off the exhaust near the middle of the car, and did straight pipes back to two new mufflers installed near the rear of the car. I originally did flowmaster 40's. They were GREAT for a few months but once they broke in the drone was CONSTANT at cruising speed. NONE stop. Lived with that for 2 years.

I then went to an exhaust shop and showed them what i had. They did the following. It ELIMINATED my drone at cruising speed, my exhaust tone sounds awesome (people ask if i have the V8 a LOT), and it sounds good when i step on it. they cut the two exhaust pipes near the center of the car, put in a SINGLE magnaflow suitcase that has dual in, dual out, then pipes to the rear where i put some exaust tips.

Needless to say if i did it all again i would go the 2 in, 2 out. Defiantly magnaflow all the way due to the low flow we have out of our engines. Let me know if you have any questions!

:bigthumb:

Reactions: AJ Robinson

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that! Which magnaflow did you put on?
And if I leave everything stock but cut off the res, will the egone be fine? (due back pressure loss?)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
you do not need back pressure (it is actually a bad thing)--what you need is VELOCITY. If you remove the resonator your car is going to sound like A$$ (aka Honda Civic with a fart can muffler). Save up some $$ for a properly designed cat back system (I would go with SOLO Performance--everybody on the forum who has their systems loves them).

·
Registered
584 Posts
Alrighty that sounds good. Thanks guys!

I went with a single muffler, dual in, dual out. This should keep the pressure about the same, i do have dual exhaust coming out the back though. I will have to see if i can find the magnaflow muffler number for you.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
you do not need back pressure (it is actually a bad thing)--what you need is VELOCITY. If you remove the resonator your car is going to sound like A$$ (aka Honda Civic with a fart can muffler). Save up some $$ for a properly designed cat back system (I would go with SOLO Performance--everybody on the forum who has their systems loves them).
Not strictly true. Yes - decreasing back-pressure in an exhaust system is good for peak gas flow (max rpm's - WOT) however, a lack of back pressure really kills the low rpm torque. If you allow the gasses to travel out of the cylinders to atmosphere (zero back pressure) then when the exhaust valve opens, the pressure of the burning gases in the cylinder/manifold will just crash - you will be dumping useful pressure (which would ordinarily be maintained to a degree on the top of the piston and giving you useful 'work'). Some back-pressure is required to maintain low rpm torque. It's a balancing act of what helps through the low rpm range, to maximum rpm. No system fits everything - it's always a bit of give and take.

As to the OP - yes, deleting anything in the exhaust system will change the dynamics of gas flow and pressures within the system, however, it is the effect of this change that needs to be established. There will be a far greater back-pressure caused by the cats (if still fitted) than the resonators at the end of the system. Yes, the pressure of the gas will be very slightly altered by removing the resonators, but in the whole scheme of things, this is unlikely to provide a noticeable advantage at engine max speed, nor will it create an issue with a lack of back-pressure at low rpm.... You would probably notice more of a performance issue with a 'bad tank of gas'....

As for changing the harmonics of the system - yes, there will definitely be a change and from the 'sound' of things, the result will be drone - or a resonance in the exhaust system due to the frequencies of the pressure pulses (sound) not being attenuated by the resonators - the whole reason that they were designed into the system (for either comfort and reducing driver/passenger fatigue, or exhaust sound quality).

Reactions: AJ Robinson

·
Registered
584 Posts
what did you end up with?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also deleted resonator on mine. I think I may have been running a little lean ever since. Is that possible? Will relearning helps? I also have a V6 3.6 2016.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Just leaving it until the winter is over, then I'll put on MagnaFlows or Flowmasters
Nothing wrong Magnaflow and Flowmaster, they both make fine products and I've used exhaust parts from both on previous non-LX vehicles, and I was never disappointed with the results.

However, on my LX vehicles (I'm currently on my 2nd one; both Challengers), I go with Jones Full Boar for the aftermarket replacement mufflers.

I have compiled a thread over on the ChallengerTalk forum that contains just about all the different posts and threads I've done over the years in which I discussed and/or advocated for JFB mufflers on the 6 cylinder Dodge engines (both 3.5L and 3.6L). I invite you to check it out and listen to some of the vid clips I've got up YouTube (linked to from the referenced threads) before deciding on which muffler you want to go with. I think JFB mufflers stack up just as well as the Magnaflows and Flowmasters in these cars, and I'm not the only one.

Anyway, if you're waiting until next year to do something with the exhaust, then you've got plenty of time to research which one to go with, right?

Here's something to wet your whistle in the meantime (low-quality MP3): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ISyrRQO5VlWmNRa3hqWURvYkk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate to do it! Bring up yet ANOTHER reso delete post, however, after 30 minutes of turning over rocks on this forum I couldn't find anything that answered my question. Most everybody else's posts were about the R/T or the SRT engines. I found a few on the V6, but this question was never answered.Don't stone me please, here we go.

I have a 3,5l V6 charger, and I was wondering if I could just take an angle grinder and chop of the rear resonator (right behind the exhaust tip). I'm hoping my engine will be a bit louder, but my main question is, WILL THIS NEGATIVELY AFFECT MY ENGINE PERFORMANCE? I know that you need backpressure or whatnot, so what I'd like to know, is it safe to do this "mod"?

Also will there be any negative impacts of not having my tail pipe extend past the body? (since I'm just going to chop it off).

Thank you guys!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did a full resonator delete, and it's awesome! Straight pipe from the cats, I added approx. 7 hp. When I punch it, it goes!!! Plus it sounds like a hellcat. $240 dollars. Next mod Flowmaster pro 44 w/extended chrome pipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you guys!!!

i have an 2015 Dodge Charger rallye with a mid muffler delete but i also installed a k&n cold air intake system with a performance chip and man it sounds great i get asked all the time is my car a v8

·
Registered
1 Posts
so i have the 3.5L V6. A year after i got the car i cut off the exhaust near the middle of the car, and did straight pipes back to two new mufflers installed near the rear of the car. I originally did flowmaster 40's. They were GREAT for a few months but once they broke in the drone was CONSTANT at cruising speed. NONE stop. Lived with that for 2 years.

I then went to an exhaust shop and showed them what i had. They did the following. It ELIMINATED my drone at cruising speed, my exhaust tone sounds awesome (people ask if i have the V8 a LOT), and it sounds good when i step on it. they cut the two exhaust pipes near the center of the car, put in a SINGLE magnaflow suitcase that has dual in, dual out, then pipes to the rear where i put some exaust tips.

Needless to say if i did it all again i would go the 2 in, 2 out. Defiantly magnaflow all the way due to the low flow we have out of our engines. Let me know if you have any questions!

:bigthumb:
Does your car still reach the max out speed of 130 after you did that mod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts