Charger Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
While I was researching and reading reviews about the 2021 Charger Widebody Scat before my purchase, I kept seeing comments about the interior being outdated. After I test drove my car, I was confused by the reviews... While it may not be super fancy and trimmed out like some euro cars, I thought it was well designed and had the proper muscle car look. As far as door panels peeling or other issues, I have not (hopefully will not) had any issues. I traded a 2019 F-150 Supercrew for this car (my trade in was almost as much as I paid my truck 2 years ago!) and that thing had a crappy interior!! The plastic felt like my sons cheap toddler toys and literally will scratch and mar if anything rubbed it. The charger interior feels thicker/rubberized and all around tougher than my truck did actually.
My 2015 SXT AWD had approximately 45,000 miles on it and my 2018 GT AWD had approximately 20,000 miles on it when I gave them up. Both of them were outside 24/7 throughout every season in Pennsylvania. Door peeling was never an issue. I actually had zero issues with both of them. I've had my 2021 SPWB since July and have approximately 1,500 miles on it and no issues at all. I'm curious if the door peeling is more prevalent in the southern/hotter states and at what mileage door peeling began for those people that say it was an issue for them.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
My 2015 SXT AWD had approximately 45,000 miles on it and my 2018 GT AWD had approximately 20,000 miles on it when I gave them up. Both of them were outside 24/7 throughout every season in Pennsylvania. Door peeling was never an issue. I actually had zero issues with both of them. I've had my 2021 SPWB since July and have approximately 1,500 miles on it and no issues at all. I'm curious if the door peeling is more prevalent in the southern/hotter states and at what mileage door peeling began for those people that say it was an issue for them.
My charger was a 2017 scatpack and garage queen. It was garaged at home AND at work so it never sat out baking in the sun. Both front door skins peeled and the rears were just starting to go when I sold the car. I first noticed the peeling at just before 3 years old. Based on what I've seen others post here, it seems unrelated to heat and is just a quality issue.

Best,

Reactions: Johnnyma45

·
Registered
52 Posts
My charger was a 2017 scatpack and garage queen. It was garaged at home AND at work so it never sat out baking in the sun. Both front door skins peeled and the rears were just starting to go when I sold the car. I first noticed the peeling at just before 3 years old. Based on what I've seen others post here, it seems unrelated to heat and is just a quality issue.

Best,
I wonder what the cause of the peeling is though. Was there just a bad batch or certain model year where the peeling is more prevalent? My 2015 and 2018 Chargers were both 3 years old when I got rid of them and I didn't have a problem with a single door. Your 2017, similarly 3 years old, had problems with all 4.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My door panels are not peeling, but the panel that borders the center console is (only on the driver's side). The lip along the edge has folded back and no longer sits flush. I am not sure if it's heat related or not, but the car was stored in a storage unit for most of it's life, so it may have baked in heat.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You want to see an outdated terrible dash, look at the new Honda Civics, Its a plastic dissaster that looks like its from the 1990's. Sad part is, the rags rave about it cause its a Honda, but the switches look like they came out of a very old car. And this is thier all new dash.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The interior doesn't look dated it's just been around for a while. The Durango doesn't look any more modern just different and I prefer the chargers.
They're pretty arrogant for not fixing the peeling problem by now and even more so denying its even an issue. Its been going on for years. Either use a different supplier or change the way those panels are made already. It's clearly an adhesion problem so it shouldn't be that hard or expensive to fix.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,364 Posts
I'm assuming none of you have seen the current 4 Runner's interior? It looks like 2006 so there's that.

The only thing I think needs to go or upgrade is getting rid of all the chrome accents and trim pieces. Other then that it's completely nice fine and executable.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I wonder what the cause of the peeling is though. Was there just a bad batch or certain model year where the peeling is more prevalent? My 2015 and 2018 Chargers were both 3 years old when I got rid of them and I didn't have a problem with a single door. Your 2017, similarly 3 years old, had problems with all 4.
I've had to fix the drivers doors on both my 2016's, as well as the passenger door and center console sides on the wife's purple car. It can get 100F here in ABQ, and during the summer monsoon it gets somewhat humid (thankfully not as bad as it is in the deep South) which seems to be the big issue: Heat and Humidity. There is a thin layer of foam under the vinyl panels to give them the "soft touch" feel (about 1/8") when it gets hot and humid the foam swells and pops the vinyl out of the channel it is glued into. The back of the panels is a hard smooth white plastic that has a very small channel running around the perimeter that they put a bead of glue in then press the vinyl into the channel - there is no extra vinyl extending beyond the channel. When the foam swells up enough the glue lets go and the vinyl sticks straight up.

I fixed the drivers door on my white car with Gorilla glue and it is still holding after 3+ years, but it was a PIA to do. I fixed the wife's car with a pneumatic stapler and 3/16" staples - quick and easy, but the heads of the staples are visible so I paint them black... next time I have to fix a panel I'm going to take them all off and coat the staples with black RTV to hide them.

Chargers are not the only cars to have this issue-- I stapled the doors and other panels on lots of other cars- BMW. Honda, Toyota, and a herd of Ford Explorers before my HOA said I could not run an "auto repair business" out of my garage (I charged a six pack of good beer).
(1st pic shows the small channel that the vinyl is glued into)/

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Widebody
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
wouldn't we rather have a "good or updated" manual transmission to row the gears in our chargers instead?
People say that, but then they don't sell. So I guess a lot of people don't mean it. Just look at the Mustang and Camaro cars that are still sitting on the lots during the shortage. They are all stick shifts and convertibles.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
People say that, but then they don't sell. So I guess a lot of people don't mean it. Just look at the Mustang and Camaro cars that are still sitting on the lots during the shortage. They are all stick shifts and convertibles.
Unfortunately nobody wants manual transmissions anymore. A manual transmission Charger would sell less than thr AWD R/T did. Way back when my brother had a 2006 6-speed Acura TL Type S and had a tough time getting a good trade in for it because nobody wanted it and dealers said it would just sit on the lot.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
It took me about 4 or 5 months to sell my 2.7T Audi A6 when I bought my 2006 Charger R/T. People loved the mods (almost 500hp), but they kept balking at the 6sp manual (which are pretty rare birds for that car). It's amazing how few people know how to drive a manual trans these days.

Best,

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
See now I use the door cup holders for a 16.9oz bottle of water, lol.

To me, the candy-bar size tray next to the shifter is pointless, and so is the slot between the 2 cup holders that's supposed to be for a phone. It only fits if you use your phone without a case. Also, I only have the 4.3" UConnect so the little tray below the screen is useless to me. What I do like is the little dividers in the bottom of the center console are great for holding a handgun, also the little trays in the glove box are good for holding a pistol as well.
The slot between the cupholders is great.... I keep all my store reward cards there and punch cards for fast foot/haircuts etc. I frankly wouldn't want to store my phone there anyway.

I do with the space ahead of the shifter was a bit larger for phone holding duty.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah not really a good place to keep a phone in charger. My ram has a nice cubby under the radio that even has a rubber pad in it to keep everything from sliding out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It took me about 4 or 5 months to sell my 2.7T Audi A6 when I bought my 2006 Charger R/T. People loved the mods (almost 500hp), but they kept balking at the 6sp manual (which are pretty rare birds for that car). It's amazing how few people know how to drive a manual trans these days.

Best,
What I find most entertaining is they know the guys that want them will pay more for it. Ever notice how an undesirable econo box sells for $500-$1000 less with a manual than automatic, but if the car resembles anything sporty whatsoever, you have to pay $500-$1000 MORE, sometimes for the same manual as the econo car has!

·
Registered
2014 R/T Phantom Black
491 Posts
In my view Charger may continue to use 2011-2014 interior, but (probably) improve quality of some materials.
I didn't see any other so comfortable and accessible interior setups in other cars that I sat (during International auto shows) or drove.

But I would add 10 cm to the space of the rear sits either by increasing overall car length, or on account space redistribution between rear sits and trunk.

·
Registered
2021 SXT AWD Blacktop Winter Package
59 Posts
It’s be nice to see an update….but for now I just hope the brand continues on. It's almost like they're just riding the horse until it falls over dead. There's been a huge reduction in models for both Dodge and Chrysler over the years. Chrysler now only offers 2 different models and Dodge only offers 3.

There really hasn’t been much of hint directly from SNA regarding future models for either of those brands. Yeah, Chrysler released the Voyager last year but that's just a low cost package of the Pacifica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts