Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 charger gt plus with the performance package with wheels that have dimensions of 19x7.5 with a 55mm offset and 5-115 bolt pattern (71.5 hub bore if that is needed as well). I was looking to either powder coat the wheels I have right now to a matte black or buy new rims that are all black. The problem I am having is most wheels don't come in the 19x7.5, (a lot come in 20x8, like almost all the other 2018 chargers) so I was wondering if you guys know any places that sell the 19x7.5 rims.

I attached some images of the wheels I have currently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
There are options, but going with a 20x8 will open you up to ALOT of tires. The 19" wheel limits you somewhat and the tires cost more because of it. Your never going to see the 1/2" difference between the 7.5 and 8" wheel anyways.

·
Registered
482 Posts
the biggest problem you will have with aftermarket wheels is the backspacing. The 20x8's you are probably finding have about half the offset/backspacing which means the wheels would stick out a lot further.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I had a hard time finding wheels with the correct offset for the AWD too. It seemed like the best I was finding most places was high 30s - low 40s (stock is +55mm). I ended up getting the Viper style wheels from factory reproductions (they have multiple finishes). They come in at 20x8.5" with a +47mm offset. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was that they're close to 30lbs per wheel. With 255/45R20 tires the fronts are just within the fender, so any less offset and they'd be poking out. By the way, 255/50R19 will fit the stock wheels and is just a hair under the stock 235/55R19 diameter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are options, but going with a 20x8 will open you up to ALOT of tires. The 19" wheel limits you somewhat and the tires cost more because of it. Your never going to see the 1/2" difference between the 7.5 and 8" wheel anyways.
That’s what I was thinking, you would think dodge should have just put all 20” rims on the chargers across the board. Do the 20” come in 20x7.5 or they again more limited?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a hard time finding wheels with the correct offset for the AWD too. It seemed like the best I was finding most places was high 30s - low 40s (stock is +55mm). I ended up getting the Viper style wheels from factory reproductions (they have multiple finishes). They come in at 20x8.5" with a +47mm offset. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was that they're close to 30lbs per wheel. With 255/45R20 tires the fronts are just within the fender, so any less offset and they'd be poking out. By the way, 255/50R19 will fit the stock wheels and is just a hair under the stock 235/55R19 diameter.

How much did those wheels set you back? Because don’t you have to buy the rims and tires unless they come packaged together?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
That’s what I was thinking, you would think dodge should have just put all 20” rims on the chargers across the board. Do the 20” come in 20x7.5 or they again more limited?
I've not see 7.5 unless they're factory reproductions. But that doesn't mean they don't exist. when I had my 2012 R/T AWD, it had 19" wheels, and I replaced them with 20" so I'd have a better selection of tires to choose from.

Edit:
Reference
https://factoryreproductions.com/shop/dodge/viper-lx-awd/

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
you'd really be limiting yourself in terms of tire width if you got 20x7.5. The wheels were about $800. Tires are gonna depend on what you buy. My motivos were about $190 per tire.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
FWIW, I have a friend who does professional vehicle conversions. One of his clients requested he start with a Challenger GT for the base car. He contacted Chrysler, and they told him not to change the wheels under any circumstances.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That seems strange. Did they give any reason?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Charger SXT AWD
199 Posts
I am also curious what their reasons may be for that...

·
Registered
607 Posts
My guess would be the engineers have determined that to be the optimal wheel size for the AWD system.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My guess would be the engineers have determined that to be the optimal wheel size for the AWD system.
You may as well have just said "because they said so"

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I should learn to stay out of the V6 threads.
If you're one of those elitists that thinks he's better than everyone with a v6, just leave this forum. Noone wants to put up with attitudes like that.

And by the way, there are AWD hemis.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Charger SXT AWD
199 Posts
If you're one of those elitists that thinks he's better than everyone with a v6, just leave this forum. Noone wants to put up with attitudes like that.

And by the way, there are AWD hemis.
Hopefully the same goes for V8 elitists too :grin2:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I think the AWD system relies on all four corners being the exact same size. So no staggered wheel setups. But 18s vs 19s vs 20s shouldn't matter as long as the overall diameter stays the same.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hopefully the same goes for V8 elitists too :grin2:
Uhh... that was the insinuation against him.

I think the AWD system relies on all four corners being the exact same size. So no staggered wheel setups. But 18s vs 19s vs 20s shouldn't matter as long as the overall diameter stays the same.
Even then it shouldn't matter what the diameters are as long as they're the same on all 4 corners.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts