Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW DO YOU GUYS AND GIRLS PROVE YOU CHANGED YOUR OIL...I ALOWAYS GO TO DEALERS WORRIED ABUT THEM TELLING ME the oil hasnt been changed...at least dealer does it i have a reciept,and i know for a fact many dealers in my area all different manufactures use recycled oil, and dont do half the opil changes they charge people for...so i know it is best to do it yourself,but how to prove you did it if a warranty issue arises in the future...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
hmmmm.... i've never had to prove it... i guess if they suspected that it was never changed i'd just tell them to look at it and see how clean it is

·
Registered
329 Posts
I,m just keeping receipts. They should have a date on them. If you have 12K miles on your car and you've bought 4 oil filters, 24 quarts of oil, and two air filters, you've probably changed your oil every 3K miles and air filter every 6K miles per the scheduled maintenance.

If you want to get really anal, take a pic of your odometer with either the oil or filter (or both) on the dash when you change the oil.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I,m just keeping receipts. They should have a date on them. If you have 12K miles on your car and you've bought 4 oil filters, 24 quarts of oil, and two air filters, you've probably changed your oil every 3K miles and air filter every 6K miles per the scheduled maintenance.
That should be 28 quarts for 4 oil changes. More if you use the bigger oil filter.

But yeah, a dated receipt for supplies is supposed to fulfill the requirements of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just curious.. Do those of you that change your own oil dispose of it properly?

I just changed it myself once; I found handling the spend oil to be such a nuisance, I never did it again. (it wasn't that bad, just a pain in the neck)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always change my own oil on all of my vehicles. It just gives me piece of mind and I can use the filters I want and synthetics without breaking the bank. ( Not as much anyway!)

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Pep Boys a mile from my house takes old oil, if you only do one or two cars you'll never exceed the quota you are allowed to dump per month. On the back of the Mobil 1 bottle there's a number to call and they will tell you where the nearest recycling center is to your house. Good luck.

Eric

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
All you need to do is keep the receipt, proof of purchase from the filter and a log. Write your miles and date down in the log staple the receipt to it and now you have proof

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

I just changed it myself once; I found handling the spend oil to be such a nuisance, I never did it again. (it wasn't that bad, just a pain in the neck)
Yes, I have a recycle center 2 minutes from my house. I keep my used oil in an 8 gallon container and take it in once it's filled. Pour right into the recycle thing, it couldn't be much easier.

·
Registered
554 Posts
All you need to do is keep the receipt, proof of purchase from the filter and a log. Write your miles and date down in the log staple the receipt to it and now you have proof
This is correct. I also confirmed this with my service advisor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just keep the receipts and make a note of it on a computer log that we have. I don't think it would hold up in court, but it works for me and if I ever sell it maybe the new owner will have the piece of mind that it was maintained with Mobil 1 oil and filters.

As for the disposal...that's funny. The auto parts stores here started limiting you as to how much you could bring back a month, and you have to fill out tons of paperwork for it too..which is annoying. Well, if the Jeep (six quarts), the Charger (seven quarts), and my wifes Rustang (six quarts) are all changed at the same time I'm over the limit for most of the local guys. So I put it back in the containers and take it to a local drive through oil change place usually at midnight on Sunday so they have a nice present when they wake up on Monday morning. By law in TN they have to dispose of it properly. It probably is a mean thing to do...but I hate that oil change place so I usually get a laugh out of it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
All i am going to do is append the reciepts to the service book. In the cases of worrying about the oil they use at the dealer, I simply bring my own Mobil 1 there.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Also check with your local town/city. Mine has a program where they give
you a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that doubles as a drain pan and a screen
inside to hold the filters. When it's full I just swing by the recycle center
and empty it. They also recycle the oil containers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I take the used oil to the local oil change place during the day. They have no problem with that, since they probably just dump it into someone else's car later in the week.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I don't get the "charge a disposal fee " bs, all the places I know of around here burn the used oil during the winter to heat their shops

·
Registered
467 Posts
So I put it back in the containers and take it to a local drive through oil change place usually at midnight on Sunday so they have a nice present when they wake up on Monday morning. By law in TN they have to dispose of it properly. It probably is a mean thing to do...but I hate that oil change place so I usually get a laugh out of it.
So youre the jerk that used to leave oil outside my former work by the side yard gate or door. j/k but yeah worked at tractor supply and would find loads of containers filled with used oil left behind by some white trash ahole. (ok northwest ohio rural folk) just bring the darn oil in the store during store hours and we would dispose of it for you. in the state of ohio, this would be considered illegal dumping. might as well pour it down your storm drain in your street. but dont do that. btw, im in the environmental remediation business.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Getting rid of spent oil is easy. Spent antifreeze, on the other hand, is next to impossible to get rid of. Most oil change places won't take it. Can't send it to the landfill. I had to go to a facility that specializes in, a lack of a better word, hazardous waste. At least it was a free drop off.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

I'm a chemist; I just purify it and then use it to make fried chicken. I like the taste of Mobil 1 over Pennzoil, but haven't tried Royal Purple, yet. :smoke: I'm afraid I'll end up with purple chicken! :D

(Our department has a used oil recycle barrel, and MooU disposes of it properly. :angel: )

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just keep the receipts and make a note of it on a computer log that we have. I don't think it would hold up in court, but it works for me and if I ever sell it maybe the new owner will have the piece of mind that it was maintained with Mobil 1 oil and filters.

As for the disposal...that's funny. The auto parts stores here started limiting you as to how much you could bring back a month, and you have to fill out tons of paperwork for it too..which is annoying. Well, if the Jeep (six quarts), the Charger (seven quarts), and my wifes Rustang (six quarts) are all changed at the same time I'm over the limit for most of the local guys. So I put it back in the containers and take it to a local drive through oil change place usually at midnight on Sunday so they have a nice present when they wake up on Monday morning. By law in TN they have to dispose of it properly. It probably is a mean thing to do...but I hate that oil change place so I usually get a laugh out of it.
In my (somewhat limited) experience, you just need to find a place that is 'cool' with you unloading used oil on them. As others have noted, some places give you limits (like 2 gal.) that make in pain in the *$$. I have a 5 gal container. I found that the guys at the localq uick change place have not probs when I show up - they empty it, wipe it off, and give it back - takes 10 mins.

Also, as noted by others, the further north you are the better chances - places are glad to get the oil to use for heat . . . :grin:
although that means your salt-free driving season is shorter too ...:cry:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts