Charger Forums banner

Change One Thing?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  chargershed 
#1 ·
Ahoy, I know that there are many people who love the Charger, the new one. And it's growing on me ever so slightly, but even the most wonderful of cars aren't perfect. The R34 still has a backseat, for instance.

So the question I pose to everyone is: if you could change but one thing about the new Charger, what would it be?

I would go for a six speed, I think that was needed in the Magnum, too.

What about everyone else?

#3 ·
SlickerSRT said:
Ahoy, I know that there are many people who love the Charger, the new one. And it's growing on me ever so slightly, but even the most wonderful of cars aren't perfect. The R34 still has a backseat, for instance.

So the question I pose to everyone is: if you could change but one thing about the new Charger, what would it be?

Add a TURBO KIT.

Add the sucide doors vice 4-doors.

Add the Viper T56 Manual tranny

#4 ·
for me it would be just a little upgrade on the design like below, it follows more of the musclecar stance, while still keeping 4 door functionality.. and the main design of the car.. but don't forget they're marketing to people who can afford the car.. not the sport-modifiers (from what i'm reading).. this is a 'tooned' version of what i'd like to see in the SRT version of the charger (imo srt=v10) hehe... (click)

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

#7 ·
1900KiLLa said:
I think everyone would be alot less hostile if it were a coupe... like it would be easier to let things go
You know, this has really made me sit and think. Most of you know my dislike for this vehicle, more that it's called Charger than anything else. And I've also steered away from the whole two-door/four-door thing. But I think of my beloved '68 R/T. What is it? A big engined B-frame two door car with attitude altered sheet metal to make it differ from Coronet / Satellite / Belvedere / etc. What is the new Charger? A big engined LX-frame car with not quite enough attitude altered sheet metal and the same number of doors to NOT differentiate itself from 300/Magnum. So if the rear end was a little less conservative, it had a Rally Dash other than Magnum's, and last but not least, two doors, I could get on board.

Oh, and purge my memory of anything related to the '99 concept.

#8 ·
Stevasaurus said:
You know, this has really made me sit and think. Most of you know my dislike for this vehicle, more that it's called Charger than anything else. And I've also steered away from the whole two-door/four-door thing. But I think of my beloved '68 R/T. What is it? A big engined B-frame two door car with attitude altered sheet metal to make it differ from Coronet / Satellite / Belvedere / etc. What is the new Charger? A big engined LX-frame car with not quite enough attitude altered sheet metal and the same number of doors to NOT differentiate itself from 300/Magnum. So if the rear end was a little less conservative, it had a Rally Dash other than Magnum's, and last but not least, two doors, I could get on board.

Oh, and purge my memory of anything related to the '99 concept.
Yea i agree they really threw some salt in the game by dropping that concept an then making this the production model... dont get me wrong... boh cute girls... but they said we were gonna get the hot blonde wit the big hooters... now they say we can have this thick brunette , she cute , but she isnt what they promised.. but hey ima hit anyway..lol

#9 ·
I'm guessing there are just as many people at Dodge who loved the 99 concept as there are here on the "outside." There's just no way they could do it now. - Doesn't fit in with the brand anymore (lookwise), and it would already by 6/7 years old when released. Both bad moves.

So: I'm now swayed to the opinion that they simply missed their window of opportunity with the old concept. Either nobody had the balls to really do it, or they ran out of money. Either way, the fact that we didn't get the 99 concept has to do with people and issues then. (This is me rationalizing and trying to give myself a clear, objective view of the new one.)

I'm waiting to see the new one in person. But I agree, a little less conservative rear end - and, I know they HAVE TO DO that Dodge cross-hair grill, but if there were ANY WAY POSSIBLE to work that old 68 gaping maw front end in somehow - some design cue, a hint, a tiny nod in that direction, I'd love it. I'm not a designer, and I'm still pretty sure there's no way they could do it and make it look good...but I can dream...

#10 ·
SlickerSRT said:

Looks like it will get a six speed!

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_new_hemi/

#12 ·
I know...lets put a HUGE wing on the back and an"aero" front end and call it HEMI DAYTONA!! how do you like them apples...AAAAAAAHHH! p.s. ANY Charger built from1968 on is an eyesore and they all should be crushed and recycled as neon parts.

#14 ·
chargershed said:
I know...lets put a HUGE wing on the back and an"aero" front end and call it HEMI DAYTONA!! how do you like them apples...AAAAAAAHHH! p.s. ANY Charger built from1968 on is an eyesore and they all should be crushed and recycled as neon parts.
So the only Charger you like is the Coronet with a fastback? 66 and 67?

That's strange. Although, I do like those years. But my favorite is 68 with that wide open front grill. 69 is okay, because I think the split grill is all right. Then I think 70 is hideous because of the full circle front bumper... blah.

Anyway, to each his own I guess.

#15 ·
I'm new to the forums but not so new to Mopars ... as my father bought a new '69 Charger off the showroom floor---I was fortunate to be there and have a Charger at my disposal in my teens. Fun car... handled excellent, but the 383 was too slow. In 1969, the chances of my dad bringing home a Hemi Charger was slim to none---I tried, but it wasn't in the cards.

I currently own a '65 Belvedere sedan with a Race Hemi, and although I'm a sentimental fool, I am slowly overcoming my initial dislike for the new Charger---primarily due to 4-doors. I can understand the reasons for the 2006 Charger being met with criticism... but I find it's a step in the right direction for better things to come from DC. Beggers can't be choosey.

Since I'm reconsidering a new Charger, other than the obvious 2-door version, I would have liked to seen a little more depth in the rear wheel wells that the original B's were famous for. It makes it easier to stuff some larger and wider tires under the wells to give it a super stock or nascar look.

Hopefully DC with offer a 2-door version ...

SlickerSRT said:

#16 ·
DubleDex said:
So the only Charger you like is the Coronet with a fastback? 66 and 67?

That's strange. Although, I do like those years. But my favorite is 68 with that wide open front grill. 69 is okay, because I think the split grill is all right. Then I think 70 is hideous because of the full circle front bumper... blah.

Anyway, to each his own I guess.
I have always felt that the 66-67 were a clean "classy" design... the 68 and up (imo) were kind of "fussy". I also think the best looking early mopar was the 68 barracuda notchback with the 70 Challenger a close second. as you said, "to each his own". I happen to really like this new Charger...I have always been a big GM guy, but I have to put a GO manGO! Daytona in my garage... :D

#17 ·
chargershed said:
I have always felt that the 66-67 were a clean "classy" design... the 68 and up (imo) were kind of "fussy". I also think the best looking early mopar was the 68 barracuda notchback with the 70 Challenger a close second. as you said, "to each his own". I happen to really like this new Charger...I have always been a big GM guy, but I have to put a GO manGO! Daytona in my garage... :D
I find that I'm a big fan of 68 Mopars in general. Like you said, the Barracuda is excellent. The Charger (my all time favorite - but I would also love a 66 or 67). The Dart - I just think everythign came together correctly on that car in 68, and like you said, they get fussy after that.

These Daytona versions of the Charger really sell me on it. I think it really shows a willingness to take this car to the next level. I'm reserving my final decision until I actually see any Charger in person.

It worries me that a few people say that they've seen it (at the Detroit car show) and it's worse in person. But, I'll wait and see.

I thought the redesigned Viper was awful when I first saw pictures - then in person I thought, "Damn. Now that's a pretty car."

#18 ·
DubleDex said:
I find that I'm a big fan of 68 Mopars in general. Like you said, the Barracuda is excellent. The Charger (my all time favorite - but I would also love a 66 or 67). The Dart - I just think everythign came together correctly on that car in 68, and like you said, they get fussy after that.

These Daytona versions of the Charger really sell me on it. I think it really shows a willingness to take this car to the next level. I'm reserving my final decision until I actually see any Charger in person.

It worries me that a few people say that they've seen it (at the Detroit car show) and it's worse in person. But, I'll wait and see.

I thought the redesigned Viper was awful when I first saw pictures - then in person I thought, "Damn. Now that's a pretty car."
most of the people who are saying that either haven't actually seen one, or it wouldn't make a difference to them because of the name. I have seen one in person, i think it is very cool... but I don't have the "baggage" that some attach to this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.