Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this car for a while and its good and broken in. I normally put 89 in the tank. I was running low and had to pick some things from Sam's Club. Since I have a Sam's membership and get a whopping $0.05 off a gallon of gas I figured I might as well fill up there. They only offered 87 and 93. Put 93 in the car and I'm getting alot better mileage. I got 147mi on the first 1/4 and 252 on the 1/2. I know even in the manual it says that the higher grade does nothing, as well as all the things I have read online about octane levels. Driving habits have not changed for my commute to work, only the octane level.

Just thought I'd share

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I would have to agree that 93 works better then 89 due to my experiences as well. I only used 93 in my first R/T and only 89 (based on everyone saying 93 is bad for the car) in my Daytona.

My R/T felt like it ran much better on the 93, and deff got better mileage then the Daytona on 89. Im at the gas station alot more with the Daytona then I was with the R/T and I dont drive aggressive often. The next tank of gas im deff puting 93 in the Daytona

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why would putting in 93 hurt your car? i know with the SRT-8's you can only put premium in them because of the compression ratio. But i wouldnt think that it would hurt the 5.7 at all to have higher octane running through its system.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I was told it burns too hot and therefore burns out your cats early...from our fleet manager at work
So if some aftermarket cats were installed, would take care of that issue?
The higher the octane just means the gas needs more pressure to explode. You will damage a car that requires high octane when you use low octane, but it doesn't hurt a lower octane car to use the higher octane.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The higher the octane just means the gas needs more pressure to explode. You will damage a car that requires high octane when you use low octane, but it doesn't hurt a lower octane car to use the higher octane.

That's what I read online as well. Going to the cats was just a reason for me to install new ones :grin: I look at it as a piece of software you are loading on a PC. You have minimum requirements, then the recommended. Exceedomg the min is always a good thing, as long as you aren't breaking the wallet

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Yea, think about it. If you take the same stock R/T, and give it the 93 octane tune with the predator, the actual car parts (cats , drivetrain, etc) havent changed at all, so the same "damage" would be done with or without the predator. Im running 93 from now on like I did my first charger

·
Registered
416 Posts
Started running Sunoco 94 w/Lucas octane boost. Only a few mods on it and it keeps up with my buddies '03 M3 on the highway. Drop it at 20 mph and it squeels the 20's. I noticed a performance improvement, can't tell you if it's good for the car or not, as I'm not really one to care.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thats the attitude to have, im with ya! Did you get the lifetime warranty on your plum?
Just whatever the factory standard warranty is. 5 year or 100,000 KM fully transferable Powertrain Warranty with $0 deductible, plus 24-hour roadside assistance + Basic Warranty coverage is for 3 years or 60,000 KM.

Just read that from the window sticker that I found in my trunk today!

Either way, like I was saying, I have no intention of concerning myself with the warranty. The engine is getting a new cam and heads before it has 2,000 miles on it. The first day I got it I went to the track, breaking in these engines hard makes them even more powerful. But keep that little tidbit of information to yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was told it burns too hot and therefore burns out your cats early...from our fleet manager at work
Just a little FYI, if you are worried about burning up your cats.... stop

Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warrant yrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Why would putting in 93 hurt your car? i know with the SRT-8's you can only put premium in them because of the compression ratio. But i wouldnt think that it would hurt the 5.7 at all to have higher octane running through its system.
It won't - not at all. If it were harmful to the engne, the manufacturer would say so in its operators manuel. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
i've performed the same experiment with the Charger and my motorcycle. I've tried different grades, and I've taken note of whether the fuel was 10% ethanol.

What I've found, at least in this region, is that premium is the only fuel available anymore with no ethanol. As recently as last summer I was able to find 87 octane with no ethanol.

The upshot of this is that I also noticed the mileage boost and performance enhancement with premium, but IMHO the mileage boost is primarily from the lack of ethanol.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have only used 93 octaine and my dad has used 89 in his R/T and I get a lot better gas mileage than he does.. I have now converted him to putting 93 octaine gas in his car. The cost is 1.40 more per tank and you get maybe 3-4 miles more to the gallon, atleast in my experience. I have put 400 miles on a tank and I drive it like I stole it... :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.