Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the whole diff unit in my 13 Charger RT to get 3.92s. I have found a lot of Manual transmission Challengers at junk yards with these gears. Are they are direct swap, no extra parts needed to do the job? If so what years are direct swap?

Also what kind of impact does 3.92 have on MPG? What RPM does the motor turn at 70mph on freeway?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Why not pay for the gear swap? It should be cheaper but you'll still need a tune for the PCM.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
It's a direct bolt in.

You need the differential, coupler, axles and the longer front differential bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Speedlogix has the kits new from MOPAR. You can get the parts from other vendors for around $300 less but you have to figure shipping costs in when looking at the overall price. If you Google "2011-2013 Challenger 3.92 Differential", several vendors will pop up.

You have a 2013 R/T, IMO a new Getrag would be the best. You do not know what you are getting WRT differentials in a junk yard if they are the older challengers. If you find a new totaled Challenger that would be a good route to go. Hard to find them.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
I got my Getrag used for $800 with axles. (2009+ don't need new hubs)

The 3.06 are less expensive than the other gears.

About 5 hours install in the driveway on jackstands.

Great mod. The cars should have had at least an option of getting the LSD, it's well worth it, even the 3.06 I'd go 3.73 if I did it over.

I went from 3.06 open diff to 3.06 Getrag

Most auto salvage yards have a warranty, albeit a short one.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The biggest issue on the 13's is programming the TCM with the gear. This can be done but it's not as simple as pushing a button like the 06-11.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
The biggest issue on the 13's is programming the TCM with the gear. This can be done but it's not as simple as pushing a button like the 06-11.
You bring up a point I have not considered. I have been assured by Diablo that the new 13 tunes support the gear swaps, but I did not think of the TCM which they do not touch.

Would something with the TCM have to be programmed to support the Getrag?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You bring up a point I have not considered. I have been assured by Diablo that the new 13 tunes support the gear swaps, but I did not think of the TCM which they do not touch.

Would something with the TCM have to be programmed to support the Getrag?
I spoke about this on another thread but again 2013 owners hold out on gear changes...my tcm had to be shipped to diablo for reflash..definitely not as easy as pushing a few buttons on trinity..I seem to be diablos test dummy for 2013 chargers...fried pcm on software release day now sending in tcm...no more upgrades for me that involve tuning until everything is fixed..lol

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
I spoke about this on another thread but again 2013 owners hold out on gear changes...my tcm had to be shipped to diablo for reflash..definitely not as easy as pushing a few buttons on trinity..I seem to be diablos test dummy for 2013 chargers...fried pcm on software release day now sending in tcm...no more upgrades for me that involve tuning until everything is fixed..lol
You my friend have just saved me $$ and headaches. I was online last night finding all the parts at various discount parts dealerships and was about to order this week the 3.92 Getrag.

Did Diablo give any indication as to when this fix might be available? I guess I could try to time the install for when I would get the TCM back but then I would be without the car for several days again. Guess I am back to the 392 Cam swap this year and gears next year.

Thanks again and I hope it works out for your car. What gears were you putting in?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You my friend have just saved me $$ and headaches. I was online last night finding all the parts at various discount parts dealerships and was about to order this week the 3.92 Getrag.

Did Diablo give any indication as to when this fix might be available? I guess I could try to time the install for when I would get the TCM back but then I would be without the car for several days again. Guess I am back to the 392 Cam swap this year and gears next year.

Thanks again and I hope it works out for your car. What gears were you putting in?
Diablo sent me a test software update and it still didnt resolve the problem so no clue to a permanant fix. On the other hand the tcm will be shipped overnight both ways and reflash should only take a matter of minutes so sending it out today and diablo says i should have it back first thing thrsday morning so not down to long. I just hope this resolves the problem and nothing further is needed. I really dont wanna have to pay to have gears pulled back out if car cant be fixed. And i put the 3.73s in. Will update again thursday.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Diablo sent me a test software update and it still didnt resolve the problem so no clue to a permanant fix. On the other hand the tcm will be shipped overnight both ways and reflash should only take a matter of minutes so sending it out today and diablo says i should have it back first thing thrsday morning so not down to long. I just hope this resolves the problem and nothing further is needed. I really dont wanna have to pay to have gears pulled back out if car cant be fixed. And i put the 3.73s in. Will update again thursday.
Thanks, I thought about going with the 3.73 rear and paying the extra $1k for them but I am getting this car ready for the 1/8th track here in Knox. I took the Mustang to the 1/4 mile track that was a 1 1/2 hour drive and that got very old.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Looks at though Diablo sport has ****ed me once again...was told they would flash tcm and overnight it back but come to find out they took the cheap route and choose ups ground which will put me out of a car for yet another weekend...lets look at entire picture...2013 update was released= fired my pcm..caused me to be without car entire weekend, pay 200 tow charges, pay 300 for new pcm.. back up and running, decide to change out differential to different gear, call diablo to verify this feature works in trinity was told YES, change gear and it doesnt work, took out tcm and overnight to diablo and was told they would flash and overnught tcm back, that also didnt work and now out of car another weekend and have to pay extra days of shop storage fees while my car is stranded there...not to mention dyno results are only showing 5 or so hp gain.. not seeing the worthiness in this product...will sell and take my local dealers advice and using arrington products from now on

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Looks at though Diablo sport has ****ed me once again...was told they would flash tcm and overnight it back but come to find out they took the cheap route and choose ups ground which will put me out of a car for yet another weekend...lets look at entire picture...2013 update was released= fired my pcm..caused me to be without car entire weekend, pay 200 tow charges, pay 300 for new pcm.. back up and running, decide to change out differential to different gear, call diablo to verify this feature works in trinity was told YES, change gear and it doesnt work, took out tcm and overnight to diablo and was told they would flash and overnught tcm back, that also didnt work and now out of car another weekend and have to pay extra days of shop storage fees while my car is stranded there...not to mention dyno results are only showing 5 or so hp gain.. not seeing the worthiness in this product...will sell and take my local dealers advice and using arrington products from now on
They fixed my PCM and sent it back overnight. It was my fault the PCM was toast but not such that they could not restore it. However, I have posted the question about the reliability of the tunes for gear swaps in a new thread on the Diablo web site and have yet to hear anything from Mikel and I know they have must have seen it. They are just not responding as to whether or not the Trinity supports the gear swap. Not sure how many are in the process of doing a gear swap with the tunes just out for a few weeks. You may be the first!

·
Registered
28 Posts
They fixed my PCM and sent it back overnight. It was my fault the PCM was toast but not such that they could not restore it. However, I have posted the question about the reliability of the tunes for gear swaps in a new thread on the Diablo web site and have yet to hear anything from Mikel and I know they have must have seen it. They are just not responding as to whether or not the Trinity supports the gear swap. Not sure how many are in the process of doing a gear swap with the tunes just out for a few weeks. You may be the first!
I thinl so. When I called with the problem they said they have had a few calls inquiring about thw swap but I was the first to try it that they know of..im really not even upset that it did t support it because they could flash tcm to support it just upset that I was lied to about shipping and out of car another weekend..:brickwall:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Link that thread..id like to keep an eye on that one

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
I thinl so. When I called with the problem they said they have had a few calls inquiring about thw swap but I was the first to try it that they know of..im really not even upset that it did t support it because they could flash tcm to support it just upset that I was lied to about shipping and out of car another weekend..:brickwall:
I would be also. I thought everything like TCM"s and PCM's go out overnight.

I called also and was told that everything "should" work, however, they have not stated so on the Diablo forum site.

Maybe they are just so busy with other minor problems with the tunes that gear swaps are not a top priority. I am not going to order the parts and drive 1 and 1/2 hours away for the install until I see that it can be done using the Trinity and not having to send in the TCM for reprograming. I hope everything goes smoother after you get the TCM back. The car will feel like a beast.

Diablo site:

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46212

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would be also. I thought everything like TCM"s and PCM's go out overnight.

I called also and was told that everything "should" work, however, they have not stated so on the Diablo forum site.

Maybe they are just so busy with other minor problems with the tunes that gear swaps are not a top priority. I am not going to order the parts and drive 1 and 1/2 hours away for the install until I see that it can be done using the Trinity and not having to send in the TCM for reprograming. I hope everything goes smoother after you get the TCM back. The car will feel like a beast.

Diablo site:

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46212
Who is going to do install for you?

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Who is going to do install for you?
Noe's performance in Morristown TN. He works mainly on Mustangs but has MOPAR experience and does complete rear end builds. The 3.92 Getrag is just a bolt on and not a complete rebuild but I go with the most experience in the area.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
They posted on their site today, with regards to my thread, and told me to hold off until they sort things out. So I will be waiting until I hear good news from someone. Guess it will be SNL Performance for the 392 Cam Swap the first of the year and gears after that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts