Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s time to wax the car & I’ve considered using one of the spray or wipe on ceramic coatings that are applied when washing the car. Something like this.

Since this can be applied over conventional wax & Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax is already on the car there should be no compatibility issues. But I'm not hung up on using any specific brand.

I realize this is not going to protect like a $1,000 ceramic coating. I’m basically trying to add or maintain some level of protection & gloss similar to what waxing your car does without spending all afternoon doing it.

I have watched several videos comparing different brands but was wondering if anyone here has had any experience using one of these spray ceramic products?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Why would you put a ceramic coating on top of something that can be washed off the car? Logically, that makes no sense.

Also, WAX does NOT make paint shine, POLISHING DOES.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you put a ceramic coating on top of something that can be washed off the car? Logically, that makes no sense.

Also, WAX does NOT make paint shine, POLISHING DOES.
I also wondered about putting their ceramic wax product on top of the existing wax. Watch their video and at about the 1:38 time mark the Meguiar's person specifically says you can do it.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Then for me, that's a testament to how weak the product is. A ceramic coating is meant to be semi-permanent. Just like a house, if you build one on a weak foundation, don't expect that house to be standing for long. A ceramic coating needs to adhere to something solid, like your paint or clear coat. By putting it on a surface that contains a product that can be removed with Dawn dishwashing liquid is just setting your coating up for a quick failure in my mind. That product sounds like a money grab, a product sold to consumers who don't want to shell out the money for the real thing but like the price and ease of use of this one. It also won't compare in any way to the real deal.

Maguire's sell a LOT of products and rest assured that all of them are NOT created equal. I won't even use any of their consumer garbage and they got upset with me for calling it that. Their professional stuff is really good but you couldn't give me their consumer garbage for free.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the best way to remove the old wax? Car is garaged & was waxed about 2 years ago but I haven't used it a lot. However it has been washed quite a few times using Meguiar’s Gold Class car wash & water still beads reasonably well. Should I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
What's the best way to remove the old wax? Car is garaged & was waxed about 2 years ago but I haven't used it a lot. However it has been washed quite a few times using Meguiar’s Gold Class car wash & water still beads reasonably well. Should I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid?
I've always been told to use dish soap for a full strip, but I guarantee Mantis or Junkman will have a much better answer.

I'm curious too, I need to get back in the detailing wagon.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
It's not just dishwashing liquid, it's DAWN dishwashing liquid that will strip your wax. Dawn has something in it that will strip wax off your car and leave it feeling dull. You'll know that everything has been removed just by rubbing it once the car is dry.

Reactions: RitzRT

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
I've always been told to use dish soap for a full strip, but I guarantee Mantis or Junkman will have a much better answer.

Yeah, me too. I've got no excuse since I'm currently taking some time off. Once I burn down the honeydo list a bit, I'm hoping to get some "me time" and work on the cars and my tractor.

As far as consumer grade Meguiars, I agree with @Junkman2008 . People occasionally give me some since I'm into cars and I quietly give it away. :) It's not worth the effort to even apply. There's plenty of good products out there so why waste time on known crap....

Best,

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,686 Posts

Yes you can use dish washing liquid but it's a guessing game on how much you should use. Companies like Adams Polishes make an actual Strip Wash and gives you measurements to use. I suggest using that . I have 2 bottles of it in my garage.
I don't strip wash my car often. I've only done it once in 2 years. I only have 13k on my car and it's garage kept.
There is a full process in stripping your car. It's not just taking off the old wax, most people don't even have any wax left on their cars so stripping it isn't really getting any protection layers off.

So here is a super quick guide to prepping your car for a new wax job.

1- Use a Iron Remover. Many compaines make them. Again I mostly use all Adams polishes products but not only. I will use their Iron Remover .
2- Then Clay your car down with a good Clay lube or a heavy soapy Car Shampoo or car wash with no protection in it. A PH neutral soap is what you wanna use. Clay lubes work really well but I think PH neutral Car Shampoo's work just as well if not better for me.
3- Now you can do your full Strip wash step. Please do this in the shade or inside a garage, not in direct sunlight. I know not everyone has a garage , but try to do these steps early morning or after the sun starts to go down.
4- Correction as needed. Some cars you can get away with a nice clean body shop safe pure polish. Other cars need a full cut , polish. Some cars you might be able to use a 1 step cut/polish step. This all depends on the condition of the paint your working with.
4- Once you are finished and cleaned up after correction, your now ready to put your protection coat on. You can use whatever makes you feel good. Carnuba wax, you just have to apply it more often as it doesn't hold up long.
You can use a Paint sealant which lasts longer then wax but also doesn't provide the best shine. You can do both Sealant as a base coat and a wax as a top coat. This yields excellent results.
You can dip your toes into Ceramics or Graphene infused Ceramics. For the do it yourself, there are so many good products out there.

On maintenance washes , use a PH neutral shampoo and buy some detail spray. This can be used as a drying agent and a spot clean up after a wash to get rid of the water marks that can and will happen as cracks love to hold water.
Not a bad idea in investing in a leaf blower to help dry your car. Also invest in high quality Drying towels.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

I think one of these days, you'll have to bring her over and let my son and I give it some love. I think you live close enough that we could make that happen one of these days.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I think one of these days, you'll have to bring her over and let my son and I give it some love. I think you live close enough that we could make that happen one of these days.
Yeah might be worth it. I "washed" it the other day. 80° heat direct sub light at like 4pm. I had to choice, garage is full. I atleast got the pressure washer out to get some of the tar and bugs off. It really has seen some better days at this point. I mean it still looks good when clean, but after 9 years and 162k miles it's showing its age.

My plans for the Charger becoming a secondary vehicle have kind of been on the back burner. Trying to decide if we're going to move, and the fuel costs are keeping me from pursuing a truck at the moment.

If I had a 3rd vehicle again I'd drop it off with you.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
People occasionally give me some since I'm into cars and I quietly give it away. :) It's not worth the effort to even apply. There's plenty of good products out there so why waste time on known crap....

Best,
👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
976 Posts
So other than Adam’s, what products are good?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yeah, me too. I've got no excuse since I'm currently taking some time off. Once I burn down the honeydo list a bit, I'm hoping to get some "me time" and work on the cars and my tractor.

As far as consumer grade Meguiars, I agree with @Junkman2008 . People occasionally give me some since I'm into cars and I quietly give it away. :) It's not worth the effort to even apply. There's plenty of good products out there so why waste time on known crap....

Best,
I gotta disagree with you. Consumer grade Maguiars products are fantastic. Maybe some of their products are not as good as other brands but in general, I have absolutely no issues using Maguiars products. I grew up on them , I have used their professional line when I was a detailer and for home car care If I can't have a brand I'd rather use and need something right now, I have no issues using any of their products.

As a retired Detailer and been a hobbyist since the 80's , I can actually make just about any product designed for a use work and work well. Sometimes I think we put a little to much stock in brand names and things when a lot of these products on the market can work very well, if you know what your doing and how to use the given product.

Sure I have a pretty strict Preference list but I don't put my nose up at any product line.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
I gotta disagree with you. Consumer grade Maguiars products are fantastic. Maybe some of their products are not as good as other brands but in general, I have absolutely no issues using Maguiars products. I grew up on them , I have used their professional line when I was a detailer and for home car care If I can't have a brand I'd rather use and need something right now, I have no issues using any of their products.

As a retired Detailer and been a hobbyist since the 80's , I can actually make just about any product designed for a use work and work well. Sometimes I think we put a little to much stock in brand names and things when a lot of these products on the market can work very well, if you know what your doing and how to use the given product.

Sure I have a pretty strict Preference list but I don't put my nose up at any product line.
No worries. I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Best,

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ceramic coating is applied directly to the paint. Need paint correction before applying ceramic coating.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,634 Posts
Can't wait until they come out with ceramic butter and Hellcat Peach cobbler.

Reactions: Slidd
1 - 20 of 25 Posts