Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a repost and I bet this question has been asked but, I'm looking to get some grille lights and trying to figure out if i should het LED or CCFL.

While looking around I see CCFL are pretty standard, but led's come in flexi strips and rods and knight rider flashers and I'm not sure what would be best for lighting up the grille

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Match the kind of halos you want if you want them. Then from there I'd say LED. No inverter to get water in. I had them but my ccfl grill lights weren't as water proof as advertised. I had to pull them when I pulled my ccfl halos that also went south.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would go with the LEDs because from what I hear, they're more reliable and use less power.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I went LED, I love thelight output and the color hue of the blue...but if you do use LED, I would put a 12v voltage regulator on them because mine are starting to fail because I didn't use one. LED's can't have more than 12v. When you start your car, drive, or drive with AC...there are spikes in the voltage that kill LED's....just my .02

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys, I was leaning toward the led's since I'll be installing the LED AAC halo's. But it's always good to get the opinions of those that had them, so please keep them coming!

Hey Mik3y are, you going with the 10 inch or the 20 inch? Are you doing 1or 2?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I have 4 19" flexible LED's lights from oznium in my grille.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
LEDs are a lot brighter which is a big component for me... I have LEDs in my hood scoop but cathodes in the grille, I need to change the grille so that they are matched up now

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Thanks alot guys, I was leaning toward the led's since I'll be installing the LED AAC halo's. But it's always good to get the opinions of those that had them, so please keep them coming!

Hey Mik3y are, you going with the 10 inch or the 20 inch? Are you doing 1or 2?
I have one 10" but will probably go with two 20" to see how bright it is. If not i will get 4 20" :D
Need to figure out placement as LEDS point one direction so i want as much light to be seen as possible.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 4 19" flexible LED's lights from oznium in my grille.
That's awesome, I'm trying my best not to completely rip off your front end for my ideas, since black and blue will be my theme. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have one 10" but will probably go with two 20" to see how bright it is. If not i will get 4 20" :D
Need to figure out placement as LEDS point one direction so i want as much light to be seen as possible.
when do you plan on doing it? Be sure to post pics because I would love to see!!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
That's awesome, I'm trying my best not to completely rip off your front end for my ideas, since black and blue will be my theme. :biggrinjester:
Go for it brother...I wasn't the first and I won't be the last. I would be flattered if you went for the same look. Plus, your in NY...fo get about it! :smile:

Get yourself a Danko grille and chin too. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went LED, I love thelight output and the color hue of the blue...but if you do use LED, I would put a 12v voltage regulator on them because mine are starting to fail because I didn't use one. LED's can't have more than 12v. When you start your car, drive, or drive with AC...there are spikes in the voltage that kill LED's....just my .02
If I'm using 3 LED strips, do I need 3 regulators or just 1? Also, is this something I should get for my halo's also?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
If I'm using 3 LED strips, do I need 3 regulators or just 1? Also, is this something I should get for my halo's also?

Since this regulator thing seems to be a new issue and I am no expert, I am not 100% sure. I have 4 LED strips and I am going to use one regulator for all four since. Some people I know are working on some fixes and recommended 1regulator for one headlight with 3 rings. I also have a remote control that turns everything on and off and I thought of putting one just before that instead of on each device. This is all still experimental.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts