Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been active on our lovely forum here. But I'm getting back in the game now that I have a little free time available again.

I have a question regarding cb radios, or more specifically antennas. I bought a barely used Midland 40 channel cb radio from a board member here ( great deal, good shape, nice and small ), and I'm wondering about antennas. I know a few members here have cb's in their chargers, so I'm hoping to get some insight. I've been looking at potentially getting one of the glass mount antennas, the kind that is pretty low profile, just over two feet long, but I'm unsure about what kind of reception I'll get. I'm not terribly concerned about long range, but I plan on monitoring the police frequency to avoid radar a little bit, as well as some general chat on roadtrips etc. . My question is, what type of antenna would fit the bill? I don't want a gigantic 8 foot tall monster, and I don't want to mess up the paint either.....what are my options? Is the glass mount smaller antenna even worth having?

Any info or opinions are welcomed :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I would say the glass mount would be the least obtrusive to your Charger. I had one in my old Dodge D50 pick-up 15 years ago and it worked well there. Or you can go the "Dukes of Hazzard" route and get a big trunk mounted one. :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
A glass mount will work fine for you...the draw back on glass mounts is that they have a narrow band width. In other words, the SWR starts to get a little high as you approach the band edges (towards channel 1, and towards channel 40). Since you are only really concerned with channel 19 (right in the middle), it will be perfectly in tune for you.

You can get some nice mounts that will not hurt your paint, and then an antenna to go on them. But then you're talking $60 to $70 for the mount, and then another $40 to $50 for the antenna. If you think you want to go this route, just PM me, and I will get some links your way with my my recommendations.

By the way, my user name here is my Amateur Radio call sign.

73s,
Ed

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...I plan on monitoring the police frequency to avoid radar a little bit, as well as some general chat on roadtrips etc. .
I'm not sure which channel that might be. Channel 9 is the emergency channel, but no one is ever on there. You will get plenty of po-po reports on 19.

I have a cb in my b&w and hear all the chatter, "Look out there, eastbound... you gotta Full Grown at yer front door rollin' west."

EDIT: I have the $69.00 elCheapo Cobra 18 WX ST II with a magnetic base antenna behind the light bar. Works well enough for me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I haven't used a CB in years.. Do they still report the location of the radar traps?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is all good info, I'm kinda leaning towards the glass mount I suppose. I had about the slight swr issue, but it doesn't sound too bad. Anybody know anything on the range of these things?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and by the way, when looking at the glass mounts, I see that they have two types. One is a "through the glass" style, that transmits signal through the window to the other side, i guess through some conductive pad? The other is just a standard style that uses the glass as a paint-free mounting point. Any thoughts on this "through the glass" deal?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody? this "through the glass" transmission sounds a little sketchy....

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
anybody? this "through the glass" transmission sounds a little sketchy....
I had the through the glass mount and it did just fine. :) Just concider your rear defogger when you place it on the window. Place the mounts between the lines.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the through the glass mount and it did just fine. :) Just concider your rear defogger when you place it on the window. Place the mounts between the lines.

Alright thanks, this kind of first hand experience is just what I was looking for!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Spankis - It's been quite awhile since I've messed with CB's but back in the mid 70's or so, we lived by them. The typical range seemed to be 5 - 7 miles, but a good line of sight connection can get much further. There won't be any listening to the police as you'd need a scanner for that. Maybe the police in your area use CB's, but it would be rare.

I never used a glass mount antenna but I'd bet the technology is good enough that it will do fine. The antenna will be more of an issue for talking than for receiving so make sure the SWR's are calibrated correctly. I used everything from a 102" whip, a 4' stick, trunk mounts and my favorite, a magnetic mount with rubber base.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been active on our lovely forum here. But I'm getting back in the game now that I have a little free time available again.

I have a question regarding cb radios, or more specifically antennas. I bought a barely used Midland 40 channel cb radio from a board member here ( great deal, good shape, nice and small ), and I'm wondering about antennas. I know a few members here have cb's in their chargers, so I'm hoping to get some insight. I've been looking at potentially getting one of the glass mount antennas, the kind that is pretty low profile, just over two feet long, but I'm unsure about what kind of reception I'll get. I'm not terribly concerned about long range, but I plan on monitoring the police frequency to avoid radar a little bit, as well as some general chat on roadtrips etc. . My question is, what type of antenna would fit the bill? I don't want a gigantic 8 foot tall monster, and I don't want to mess up the paint either.....what are my options? Is the glass mount smaller antenna even worth having?

Any info or opinions are welcomed :lol: :lol:
Right off the bat, I have no experience with the glass mount you are referring to, but I would like to know about them too. When I travel, I use my cb (a little Uniden 510) with a K40 trunk mount antenna with a 56" whip. I don't need long distance, because with all that traffic on the big roads, you can usually get updates by the minute. It has a quick disconnect and a little cap to cover the mount when you remove the antenna. It has a rubber piece to cover the bottom of the base and protect the car's paint. I also use a couple of rubber pieces (old heater hose) to protect the paint from the torx head mounting screws. Here's a link that will give you an idea of what it looks like. http://www.walcottcb.com/k40-trunk-mount-cb-antenna-black-p-396.html I've dealt with Walcott CB 2x and they were great to deal with. When I'm not traveling, I leave the coax cable in the car and undo the base and store it in the trunk using a twistie tie to keep it secure and out of the way. Hope you find what will work best for you.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I haven't used a CB in years.. Do they still report the location of the radar traps?
Yes... I use one for road trips. Best radar detector for the money. As for the antenna, I use a "black" magnetic one that sits right up on the trunk lid next the the rear window. Its about 4ft high. When not in use... right back in the trunk. It really doesn't look that bad. Just kind of funny when your the only one that has it when in use. Thanks to the truckers who call out the "fuzz" traps and all that other info on the road.

The antenna I bought at Radio Shack.... they are the place I could find a all matte black one. It matches the spoiler.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
In keeping with your first thought, listen to the police and listen to CB I have been using a scanner. It is completely programmable and you can use your computer to do it with. I also can set up travel corridors to monitor what I want to hear along the route I will travel. I have not been impressed with the CB lately as I always seem to pass Troopers and not a peep out of the CB. Unless you just want to talk on the CB, you would be better off going this route. Some newer models no have GPS capability to turn on and off systems as you come into range of them. It takes a GPS unit to work with for this to work. I use Uniden Bearcat scanners but there are others and all the info you need is @ www.radioreference.com I use a mag mount on the trunk lid that sets on top of a palm pilot screen protector to guard against paint damage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts