Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting JBA Catless Mid-pipes on my 2019 Scat Pack. Has anyone done this? Will the car attempt to compensate for the increased air flow and run rich?

·
Registered
173 Posts
You'll have to have the rear O2's tuned out or you'll throw the CEL.

What's the reason for going catless?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll have to have the rear O2's tuned out or you'll throw the CEL.

What's the reason for going catless?

I figured the CEL would come on. My fear is with the CEL the car will try and compensate for the increased flow and run rich.

The reason I'm considering it is sound and power increase.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I figured the CEL would come on. My fear is with the CEL the car will try and compensate for the increased flow and run rich.

The reason I'm considering it is sound and power increase.
The Hellcat uses the exact same cats you have. Removing yours will not give you a power increase at all.

The flow increase isn't the issue, it's the unburned fuel saturating the rear O2's.

The only thing you'll accomplish by removing them is sound and stink. It will stink. I mean eye burning at stoplight stink
Trust me....been there done that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Hellcat uses the exact same cats you have. Removing yours will not give you a power increase at all.

The flow increase isn't the issue, it's the unburned fuel saturating the rear O2's.

The only thing you'll accomplish by removing them is sound and stink. It will stink. I mean eye burning at stoplight stink
Trust me....been there done that.

So then in your opinion what is the best way to add power to the car, I know Cam, headers, and a tune would add crazy power but all in all that's a lot of money. I know a porcharger is a good route, but I haven't heard if these cars handle boost well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with some of the sentiments above.
You will gain little power WITH a catless tune (I’m talking not able to be noted on a dyno on a stock car) maybe ~5hp at peak. My 13’ challenger made 8 more hp going catless on a 100 shot of nitrous, so you can imagine a stock car would see almost nothing.
It will throw a CEL but will not run rich to the point of any damage if not tuned.
It will gain a bit more noise but not as much as changing or removing mufflers.
Catless does produce a different exhaust smell but some can’t stand it and some love it. I love the smell of no cats on my 13’ challenger that has an exhaust that exits under the rear seats/middle of the car. No eye burning here. I have a pair of noncatted mids waiting to go in my 06’ Daytona when I get the nitrous tuned. Both get equal daily driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
So then in your opinion what is the best way to add power to the car, I know Cam, headers, and a tune would add crazy power but all in all that's a lot of money. I know a porcharger is a good route, but I haven't heard if these cars handle boost well.
Dodge did pretty dang good about not leaving much on the table where power is concerned, however, here is where Mopar separates the "men from the boys".

Nothing on these cars is cheap. Nothing. A freaking tuner/PCM swap quickly approaches $1000 before the dyno or email tune...and that's only going to net about 30hp tops with no other modifications. (You'll need a tuner/PCM regardless of what you do to make power, so keep that money in your budget.)

Where as someone with a Mudstain or a Slomaro can spend $5-6k and make crazy power. $5k on our cars just barely covers a cam and lifter swap with a dyno tune to gain 50-75hp tops lol

Some people just want to eat every 5.slow, Camaro Super Slow, Cts-Pee or whatever else they line up against at the track and blow $36k+ on a 2017 Scat Pack to make 850+hp and make sure nothing breaks when it launches.

Everything will depend on what your end goals are and how deep your pockets are.

Personally, I wanted to run high 9's- low 10's with full interior and fully optioned (on pump gas) at the track and still be able to run it around town whenever I wanted to with no worries. I had the car already, I had the money so I figured, why not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts