Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is a catch can, and why have so many people been talking about them lately?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
A catch can helps prevent oil from getting blown back in to your intake manifold. I have one on my car and it has collected a fair amount of oil.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Metgo,

Here's the main thread from the other forum:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=69236&highlight=catch

Basically the PCV system vents air from the crank back into the intake and along with it, lots of oil vapors which tend to **** up the intake.

Here's a picture of the back of my throttle plate before installing a catch can:

Yuck!

Here's a pic of what I caught in my can after less than 1K miles of driving:

Gotta go get yourself one man. Especially for guys that are modded as much as you and I...

·
Registered
829 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
But you have to ask yourself. So what? So what if it get a little dirty inside the intake? Does it actually hurt anything? Does it reduce engine life at all? Is it just cosmetic (yes).

Do you need one? No! Will it help engine performance, NO! will it keep the intake clean? NO, because the EGR makes it dirty anyway. (on 5.7L)

Is it a waste of time, and money, YES

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
But you have to ask yourself. So what? So what if it get a little dirty inside the intake? Does it actually hurt anything? Does it reduce engine life at all? Is it just cosmetic (yes).

Do you need one? No! Will it help engine performance, NO! will it keep the intake clean? NO, because the EGR makes it dirty anyway. (on 5.7L)

EERR-WRONG! at one time i was a motor builder for popeye's off shore racing and i built 2000 hp motors. those cans are not any thing new. it will keep the intake runners clean and the intake valve guides along will the valve seats and face's. also the piston tops wont be so likely to form hot spots from carbon build up which in turn will cause pinging. the cleaner the intake charge the better and cleaner the motor will run. after thousands of miles the valves stem's will start to wear down the valve guides and a valve job will be needed-BUT if you keep the oil out there will be less carbon build up and less wear on the moving parts in the valve train and in the cylinders

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
Do you think one would be needed (and are they available) for a mildly-modified 3.5?

Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do you think one would be needed (and are they available) for a mildly-modified 3.5?

Thanks.
As a fellow SXT owner, I wanna know the same thing!

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
OK, I checked Billet's website and they do not list one for the 3.5. Haven't checked other places yet...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
you will add years and thousands of miles to your motor by using one. and both of you should call HEIDIE AT BILLET TECH and she can make them for you 2!:smoke:

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
you will add years and thousands of miles to your motor by using one. and both of you should call HEIDIE AT BILLET TECH and she can make them for you 2!:smoke:
Good call... PM sent... :)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I will be getting one pretty soon. It is cheap and the install looks like a piece of cake.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Yeah I believe I read that the Billet Tech one was a complete kit that included all hoses and hardware needed to install.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Anyone want to get me an early Christmas gift?
I will, if you buy one for me.......and we agree to not ship them to each other.....and we install them in our own cars. :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Perhaps you should take a look inside your intake prior to writing this thing off as useless. Since adding it 2 weeks ago, I have eliminated the knock I was getting no matter what brand of gasoline I was using. Since adding the can, my engine has never run better. If you want a swimming pool of sludge at the bottom of your intake, that's you're call. I don't.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts